What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

Hope you like em

Pastrami turned out PERFECT!!!! and I mean PERFECT!!!

10 hours total (didn't start my Fireboard from the beginning)at 250° in the center... left and right probe almost perfectly 20° different so I adjusted the grill for the meat to be in the middle. NOTE: how the probes exactly follow each other even tho 20° different

Screenshot_20201018-182159_FireBoard.jpg

Big dip is where I PAPER WRAPPED (just like a regular brisket) @ 190°
No steaming necessary!!!
Shut the grill down @ 200° internal and left it sit for 45 minutes right there in the grill

The "jello" affect was amazing and the taste was off the charts!!! I WILL BE DOING THIS AGAIN THIS EXACT WAY.

20201018_173536.jpg

20201018_173744.jpg

I sliced them thinner from here on to the end

20201018_174547.jpg

Grilled Pumpernickel rye, provolone, kraut, mustard and a stack of meat!!!
Wife is a genius with the "grill cheese/kraut" idea then just peel back one slice of bread and add meat.

Well, pork steak came out pretty dang good!

Attachments

• 20201018_191919.jpg
    20201018_191919.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 40
Slimpicker, i couldnt get it back on the grill for the sauce to thicken as it just would fall apart.

Heres is the cook...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018-203523_FireBoard.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018-203523_FireBoard.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 27
Well, pork steak came out pretty dang good!

1603076616751.png

Slimpicker, i couldnt get it back on the grill for the sauce to thicken as it just would fall apart.

(9 outta 10 times I cannot get them back on either... LOL)

Timmy, the PIC is perfect!!! That really is exactly how they should turn out... I say GREAT JOB!!!
I hope you found them to be tasty, cuz that's the only goal. If you let them get a little burnt like that then NO NEED to get them back on the grill... those looked dry enough.
bravo.gif

View attachment 2927

(9 outta 10 times I cannot get them back on either... LOL)

Timmy, the PIC is perfect!!! That really is exactly how they should turn out... I say GREAT JOB!!!
I hope you found them to be tasty, cuz that's the only goal. If you let them get a little burnt like that then NO NEED to get them back on the grill... those looked dry enough.
View attachment 2928
Yes, they were great, everyone loved them. I will make them again! Thanks!

If i can get up enough nerve, I'd really like to try pastrami sometime. Your's looked really good.

Lunch today was even better than last night... sammie included the fullbark end!!! I ate so fast didn't even get a pic.

Told wife next one will be a bigger one from Cosco probably cuz this was just the normal size ones from Aldis

Pastrami turned out PERFECT!!!! and I mean PERFECT!!!

10 hours total (didn't start my Fireboard from the beginning)at 250° in the center... left and right probe almost perfectly 20° different so I adjusted the grill for the meat to be in the middle. NOTE: how the probes exactly follow each other even tho 20° different

View attachment 2920
Big dip is where I PAPER WRAPPED (just like a regular brisket) @ 190°
No steaming necessary!!!
Shut the grill down @ 200° internal and left it sit for 45 minutes right there in the grill

The "jello" affect was amazing and the taste was off the charts!!! I WILL BE DOING THIS AGAIN THIS EXACT WAY.

View attachment 2921

View attachment 2922

I sliced them thinner from here on to the end

View attachment 2923

Grilled Pumpernickel rye, provolone, kraut, mustard and a stack of meat!!!
Wife is a genius with the "grill cheese/kraut" idea then just peel back one slice of bread and add meat.

Looks excellent, did you make your own corn beef or was it store brought?

I really want to try this again first one was a little dry.

Looks excellent, did you make your own corn beef or was it store brought?

I really want to try this again first one was a little dry.

This was store bought... No fat removed, cooked with fat cap UP, Soaked in pickling spices and sugar overnight, covered in Mustard and that RUB I have posted earlier, left to sit in frig uncovered little more than 24 hrs... cooked @ 250°, no need for any pre-smoke at lower temp IMO. But the main thing, I think, was that the paper wrap @ 190° WORKED... and DID NOT damage or decrease the bark in anyway, but DID make it a seriously juicy piece of meat.
Once my Fireboard reached 200° in the thick part, I SHUTDOWN the Traeger and left it sit in there while I prepared everything else for the meal (45 minutes or longer)

It was EASY, it was fun, it worked, and that was as juicy as any brisket video I've ever seen, cut the same way, but was every bit the taste of good Pastrami... even more so today when I re-heated in the micro and couldn't believe the smell and taste again... Bear Mountain pellets BOLD (I don't think I'm ever gonna use up my Traeger pellets... I LOVE Bear Mountain and they seem to love my Traeger)

If I don't do this once a week I will surely do this once a month!!!

Maybe the pickling spices and sugar helped with the juciness, I see these are not part of meatheads recipe, care to share?

Maybe the pickling spices and sugar* helped with the juciness, I see these are not part of meatheads recipe, care to share?

*Found that tip on a different recipe along with the mustard rub before regular rub... (from the "Smokin-it" website)
But mostly I think it's due to me NOT touching the meat the whole time, I had it up on a 2" elevated rack, didn't poke ANY hole in it till the bark was black. Turns out that happened to be about 180° when I probed the meat for good. I think the GOOD SOLID BARK kept the moisture in and since I didn't poke holes in it many times then nothing escaped. ALSO I started and stayed at 250° the whole time.

These are the only things I could think of that maybe contributed to moist meat. Plus the paper wrap

Last edited:
Nice RemE. Looking forward to the updates throughout the night.

Cheers!
After a toasty night, it's resting in the cooler now.

I will add that with all of my tweaks to protect the drip drainage system, this cook had all of the channels wet with grease, no burning anywhere. For the first time however, the drip catcher box below leaked grease :( It did not over flow, grease escaped the gasket and ran down the top of the pan cover and onto the shelf below. Fortunately I had my Tupper container with concave lid which held the puddle, probably 1/4 cup. That crazy drawer setup has the weirdest cover arrangement, seems backwards, like it would be better upside down. I'm not sure how to fix it, yet ;)

Also the pellet stirrer was perfect for the long cook, pretty sweet.

F997384D-B9BA-49E1-9C54-235F899B4034.jpeg
BD710C25-A144-4F6C-BF4B-7105682AD7E1.png

Last edited:
After a toasty night, it's resting in the cooler now.

I will add that with all of my tweaks to protect the drip drainage system, this cook had all of the channels wet with grease, no burning anywhere. For the first time however, the drip catcher box below leaked grease :( It did not over flow, grease escaped the gasket and ran down the top of the pan cover and onto the shelf below. Fortunately I had my Tupper container with concave lid which held the puddle, probably 1/4 cup. That crazy drawer setup has the weirdest cover arrangement, seems backwards, like it would be better upside down. I'm not sure how to fix it, yet ;)

Also the pellet stirrer was perfect for the long cook, pretty sweet.
I can see you making another mod to that Traeger of yours, tweaking that tray.
We are going to have to come up with a name for your altered model. One of a kind!
Weather up here has changed, so my smoking was just with a smoke tube, took advantage of the cold temperatures. A selection of different cheeses and some paprika to make some rubs this winter
20201024_165542.jpg20201024_165601.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back