Temperature consistently 25+ degrees low

Yep! Only one probe just doesn’t cut it for me, I usually use at least 3.
Yeah. I still have to get an upgrade from my meater one prober.
And I don’t want to downplay anyone’s frustrations with the Traeger probes. It does feel like for the price you should get good probes......but then someone told me the Traeger was a grill/smoker. It’s not perfect at everything (probes) but it’s pretty darn good at what it’s designed for and that’s what you really are (should be) buying.
For me the internal may be off a bit, but it will hold that temp without me touching for at least for hours in just my experience. And I can watch it do so from my phone an hour away. And I can also from there alter the temp, set it to keep warm mode, or shut it down.
So after initial frustration I’ve decided to not let a $10 probe rob me from enjoying a thousand dollar grill......that I actually got for free.

Yeah. I still have to get an upgrade from my meater one prober.
And I don’t want to downplay anyone’s frustrations with the Traeger probes. It does feel like for the price you should get good probes......but then someone told me the Traeger was a grill/smoker. It’s not perfect at everything (probes) but it’s pretty darn good at what it’s designed for and that’s what you really are (should be) buying.
For me the internal may be off a bit, but it will hold that temp without me touching for at least for hours in just my experience. And I can watch it do so from my phone an hour away. And I can also from there alter the temp, set it to keep warm mode, or shut it down.
So after initial frustration I’ve decided to not let a $10 probe rob me from enjoying a thousand dollar grill......that I actually got for free.
I’d be very surprised if anyone paid more than $5.00 for that probe, and I imagine Traeger got them for less than a buck apiece. Heck, a standard FireBoard probe costs 15, and their comp probe only 17.

That Traeger probe is probably made in Wuhan, along with all the deadly viruses.😬

Well the grill is......China at least. So maybe so. But yeah.......it's probably nowhere near $10 which really just further makes the point :)

I learned not to worry to much about that on mine.

Well the grill is......China at least. So maybe so. But yeah.......it's probably nowhere near $10 which really just further makes the point :)

I learned not to worry to much about that on mine.
Same here, I only used mine a couple of times and it went in the trash along with a ThermoPro.

I decided to return the Traeger. I expected it to work as advertised and it just didn’t. It also wouldn’t get past 425-430 degrees when I would set it to 500 degrees (even though the control panel showed it was hitting 500).

I ordered the Recteq RT-590 and it has been absolutely amazing. Much better construction, and rock steady temps. After now having owned a Pit Boss, Traeger, and Recteq it is easy for me to recommend the Recteq as the best by far. Perhaps other Traeger models are great, but my experience with the Silverton 620 was less than stellar. Hopefully this is useful information for others out there! Happy grilling, y’all!

I have new Pro 575 delivered by Mothers Day 2021. My first cook was a 7 lb brisket. Should have been 12 hours or so using the Traeger recipe and temperature recommendations. 21 hours later on Monday at 5 in the morning as I was leaving for work, it hit 203 degrees.
Disappointing having left overs for supper that day.

I bought an oven thermometer and calibrated it with my home oven and it was spot on. I set my grill to 225 and the oven thermometer read 170 after more than an hour. This explained the long cook time.

I consulted Traeger and we did a video conference. They had me take out all the racks and baffles then light the grill so they could see the fire pot. I used brand new back of hickory pellets. I set the temp at 250 the fire pit looked good while lit. The temperature on the Grill digital readout fluctuated by 60+/- degrees. Traeger says this should only be +/- 15 degrees.

They sent me a new thermocouple which I installed yesterday. Today the temperature reading is more consistent and within their tolerance. But the internal temperature using my oven thermometer is 50-60 degree cooler. Set at 250, read 190 inside. Set at 300, read 250. Set at 350, read 300 and so on.

Cooking a 3 lb chuck roast now for beef tacos later today. Set Grill on 300 and internal in 250 degrees. Going on 4 hours and meat temp is 155 so it seems to be a more accurate cook time wize.

I am not sure why the temps are so off but I now will set 50 degrees hotter for my cooks. This is not right. Was thinking of getting the grill blanket to keep the heat in but will consult Traeger again and see what they say.

1618146502153.png

My Traeger built in RTD probe is off, it is not accurate. Is there a way to calibrate it?

icon_hot.gifI Spent All This Money on My Traeger and the Meat Probe is NOT Reliable?? Unfortunately, That's Correct!!

TEMP SWINGS

D2 RUNNING TOO HOT

RUNNING TOO COOL OR FLAME OUT

Hello everyone. I have a Traeger Silverton 620, purchased from Costco about a month and a half ago. Since I purchased it, I noticed the actual temperature inside the grill is 25-30, and sometimes 50 degrees LOWER than what the controller/grill is set to/thinks it’s at. This is NOT a temperature fluctuation. It actually holds temp very well, just 25-30 degrees lower than what it is set to. Traeger sent me a new thermocouple, but the issue persisted. They then sent me a new controller, but the issue persists. I just got off the phone with them, and they say that the grill is functioning properly and there’s nothing else they can do. Is this normal for this model, or Traegers in general? Should I return this unit and look for something else? Or just plan to set the grill 25-30 degrees higher than what I need to? Thanks in advance for any input, advice, or opinions!
Have you checked your grill temp with the oven thermometer more toward the center of the grill? If you have it placed along any of the edges, it is going to read hotter than the actual grill temp because a lot of heat comes up around the edges. Additionally, meat that is place close to the edges will get done faster too.

Have you checked your grill temp with the oven thermometer more toward the center of the grill? If you have it placed along any of the edges, it is going to read hotter than the actual grill temp because a lot of heat comes up around the edges. Additionally, meat that is place close to the edges will get done faster too.
If you read through this thread I mentioned I already returned the Traeger. To answer your question though, yes, I tried the thermometer all over different parts of the grill and it was never close to reading what the control panel was displaying.

Nearly a month into owning the Recteq RT-590 and it has been flawless. Much better unit. Highly recommend.

I am on my second Silverton 620 from Costco. In reading several posts I thought my first one had a bad thermocoupler or digital thermometer. Took it back to Costco and decided to give it another shot and got a second one. Same issue. Temperature off by 30 degrees in some areas. So frustrating especially when meat is expensive. Thinking I’m going to take this back because I should not have to manipulate the temperature on the grill that much to get close to what it is reading. Any suggestions on what I should look at? Not a serious smoker but I want good quality that will cook close to the proper temperature. I have been looking at Yoder but any others? Thanks.

A comparable Yoder is going to cost you a whole lot more. The guy above got the Rectec and I guess he’s happy. It cost him more. You could just buy a reliable third part probe and call it a day......you need multiple probes anyway

A comparable Yoder is going to cost you a whole lot more. The guy above got the Rectec and I guess he’s happy. It cost him more. You could just buy a reliable third part probe and call it a day......you need multiple probes anyway
Yes I saw the prices on the Yoder’s. Just debating if it’s worth the price. I’m just really disappointed that the Traeger is so far off on the temp. I cooked a whole chicken tonight and manipulated the temp and it was still low (About 35 degrees lower than what was displayed). The chicken did get cooked faster than usual. I guess that is what happens when you are closer to the actual temp you are supposed to be at. I know the Yoder is going to be twice as expensive but I think they come with the fireboard tech installed? Going to go check them out tomorrow. I’m really surprised that Costco would stand behind a model that seems to have the same issue. At least their returns are easy. Thanks for the reply

Yes I saw the prices on the Yoder’s. Just debating if it’s worth the price.

YS480S​

Yoder Smokers Adaptive Control System - with Yfi.

PELLET GRILL​

STARTING AT $1,779.00 + SHIPPING and built in FireBoard controller!!??? HELL YEAH IT'S WORTH IT!!!!​

I wish it was that cheap up here. I'd have one on order by now.
Double that price for us north of the border

I'd have one on order by now.
I'm getting close... with all the MODs I got on my 575 I can get almost my full price back and that Yoder is only another 1k

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back