Temperature consistently 25+ degrees low

SingleBarrelAndy

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
Hello everyone. I have a Traeger Silverton 620, purchased from Costco about a month and a half ago. Since I purchased it, I noticed the actual temperature inside the grill is 25-30, and sometimes 50 degrees LOWER than what the controller/grill is set to/thinks it’s at. This is NOT a temperature fluctuation. It actually holds temp very well, just 25-30 degrees lower than what it is set to. Traeger sent me a new thermocouple, but the issue persisted. They then sent me a new controller, but the issue persists. I just got off the phone with them, and they say that the grill is functioning properly and there’s nothing else they can do. Is this normal for this model, or Traegers in general? Should I return this unit and look for something else? Or just plan to set the grill 25-30 degrees higher than what I need to? Thanks in advance for any input, advice, or opinions!

Attachments

• 0C7E176A-20DF-47AD-99B8-74BADC647F87.jpeg
    0C7E176A-20DF-47AD-99B8-74BADC647F87.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 5,667
  • 23516BD2-F7FA-4329-A281-EFDE597E2309.jpeg
    23516BD2-F7FA-4329-A281-EFDE597E2309.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 76
This is why many of us use a calibrated thermometer like the Fireboard, set the grill to the fireboard Temperature setting. The grill holds temp well, just not the temp that you think it is. Over time you will get a equivalency chart for your grill, that is what temp do your set the grill so that you get the temperature that you need.

Bought my 575 about a month ago.. My temp was +/- 30 degrees, skyrocketed temp at startup to 100 degrees above set temp. Called CS, sent me a new temp sensor. Still not holding the set temp within 10-20 degrees. Called CS again. Not a happy customer at this point.

Was advised that all is good, perfectly normal. Not so fast. After another shot at explaining the problem I was sent a replacement control u it. Just installed, not tried out yet.

The funny (?) thing is that my last cook (before receiving the new control board) I wrapped the temp sensor in foil and the grill worked perfectly. Held temp with 5 degrees of set temp.

For the price of this grill we should not have to resort to workarounds or aftermarket temp sensors in order for the grill to cook as we'd expect... according to the sales pitch.

Bought my 575 about a month ago.. My temp was +/- 30 degrees, skyrocketed temp at startup to 100 degrees above set temp. Called CS, sent me a new temp sensor. Still not holding the set temp within 10-20 degrees. Called CS again. Not a happy customer at this point.

Was advised that all is good, perfectly normal. Not so fast. After another shot at explaining the problem I was sent a replacement control u it. Just installed, not tried out yet.

The funny (?) thing is that my last cook (before receiving the new control board) I wrapped the temp sensor in foil and the grill worked perfectly. Held temp with 5 degrees of set temp.

For the price of this grill we should not have to resort to workarounds or aftermarket temp sensors in order for the grill to cook as we'd expect... according to the sales pitch.
I could not agree more. I am on the verge of returning this thing. I don’t want to spend an additional $250 on a standalone thermometer just to figure out what the grill is supposed to do on its own.

Agree spend BIG bucks on a timberline 850 and everone told me you cannot trust the temp probe on them. So I want to spend more BIG bucks for a fireboard? Camp chef probes were pretty dead on. Have no idea why these are so off and yes the sent me a new probe and temp sensor. And on 3rd controller haaa.

This is not how this is supposed to work.

It's the same for all of us... we are just used to it.

Now, if you wanna start a revolution, I'll be right behind you every step of the way. 👊✊

now let's see, 225° + 20 = 245° ok cool.... gotta go now, gotta 'ignite' my grill

I didn't like spending the money on the fireboard but it gets used for other things too. Like adjusting my refrigerator temps. calibrating my kitchen oven, which was also off and checking other temps around the house. I like the WIFI feature.

Mine is also consistently 20-25 degree cooler. The meat probe that came with it was also around 20 degrees off, but I could at least calibrate that. If I could calibrate the temp probe for the smoker that would be ideal. For now I just set it around 20 degrees hotter than I want and once it preheats I double check the temp is where I actually want it. The good news is that I've found once it is up to temp it stays there within a couple degrees +/-.

It certainly caused me to ruin a few cooks before I realized both the main temp probe and the meat temp probe were wrong.

Mine is also consistently 20-25 degree cooler. The meat probe that came with it was also around 20 degrees off, but I could at least calibrate that. If I could calibrate the temp probe for the smoker that would be ideal. For now I just set it around 20 degrees hotter than I want and once it preheats I double check the temp is where I actually want it. The good news is that I've found once it is up to temp it stays there within a couple degrees +/-.

It certainly caused me to ruin a few cooks before I realized both the main temp probe and the meat temp probe were wrong.
The problem with calibrating the meat probe, is that when you calibrate it for one temperature, it is wildly off at another. Calibration of that probe is not very linear it seems.
Many of us here have given up on the Traeger probe, because no matter how many times you calibrate it or have it replaced under warranty it is still junk.

Do yourself and your wallet a favor, buy an accurate leave in probe thermometer set, and an accurate instant read thermometer.

The problem with calibrating the meat probe, is that when you calibrate it for one temperature, it is wildly off at another. Calibration of that probe is not very linear it seems.
Many of us here have given up on the Traeger probe, because no matter how many times you calibrate it or have it replaced under warranty it is still junk.

Do yourself and your wallet a favor, buy an accurate leave in probe thermometer set, and an accurate instant read thermometer.
agreed. Having a good calibrated instant read and a leave in probe is how I figured out all my temps were wrong and by how much. I only use the traeger probe as a guide now and rely on the thermopen i bought.

Though I do plan on running a test 6 months after i did the initial calibration and see if it is off again ( i work with process instrumentation for work and i'm used to doing calibrations, and putting in k factors). At the time the temp offset seemed to be linear so i'll be interested to see if it stayed that way.

Though at the end of the day it is disappointing that something as simple as getting an accurate RTD seems to be out of reach for traeger.

Eh.....it was a bit disappointing for sure but at this point it is what it is. The way i see it you need a multi lead leave in probes anyway and an instant read......and that’s even if the Traeger duo was dead nuts

Last edited:
Eh.....it was a bit disappointing for sure but at this point it is what it is. The way is we it you need a multi lead leave in probe anyway and an instant read......and that’s even if the Traeger duo was dead nuts
Yep! Only one probe just doesn’t cut it for me, I usually use at least 3.

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back