What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
goodjob.gif

Put them on the grill at 0630 at 250 dregrees, at 1500 bumped temp to 300 pulled them off at 1715pm

That's the way and temps I'm more used to in my wood smokers... never had a bad one, never wrapped during cook, always after tho.. foil, towel and cooler but quite frankly an air tight foil pan will do almost the same thing

SmokinAL

Reaction score
Grill
Texas Elite 34
View attachment 4446

That's the way and temps I'm more used to in my wood smokers... never had a bad one, never wrapped during cook, always after tho.. foil, towel and cooler but quite frankly an air tight foil pan will do almost the same thing
I am still playing with temps... This has been the best so far... So will probably stick with this method until i try something new. I like to try new ways of doing things...

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Masterbuilt 1050

HOMEMADE PASTRAMI RECIPE​

Ingredients:

Homemade Pastrami:

Russian Dressing

• 1 brown onion, chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup BBQ Hot Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
Reuben sandwich:

• 2 slices of rye bread
  • 1 tbsp sauerkraut
  • Homemade Pastrami
  • Russian dressing
  • Swiss cheese
  • Gherkins

Method:

1. Add 4 litres of room temperature water to a big tub.
  2. Add kosher salt, ground bay leaves, chilli flakes, cracked pepper, dried rosemary and 6.25% curing salt. Stir well.
  3. Optional: Place over a gentle heat and continue stirring until all salt and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, allow to cool completely.
  4. Add brisket to tub. Submerge completely. Place a weight (eg a dinner plate) on top to ensure the meat stays completely under the brine. Refrigerate for 4-5 days.
  5. Remove and rinse thoroughly, ensuring all excess salt, cure and spices have been removed (by this time, they’ve already done their magic and we no longer need them). Coat completely with Misty Gully Pastrami seasoning.
  6. Place in smoker or oven at 110°c for 3-4 hours, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 70°c.
  7. Remove from smoker/oven and wrap tightly with foil. (Optional step – add a small amount of beef stock at this stage 30-50ml)
  8. Return to the oven/smoker and cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 94°c. This will probably take another 3-4 hours.
  9. If eating hot – leave brisket wrapped in foil, wrap in a beach towel and place in a cool place for at least 60 minutes before slicing and serving. If eating cold – allow to cool, then store in the fridge. It will last for up to 10 days.
  10. Enjoy!
Russian Dressing:

1. Combine onion, mayo, BBQ hot sauce and paprika in a bowl.
  2. Mix well.
Thanks, the site was down and I couldn't get in. This would have to be in my top 5 meals I have ever cooked. With the Russian sauce, sauerkraut and swiss cheese all on rye it was so full of wonderful tastes. Anyone can do this but watch your curing salt amount.
(Can you guys handle metric measurements and weights?)

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
I have Instacure #1 pink... this is all I need to know
1.18 tsp

How Many Teaspoons Are in a Gram?
GramsTeaspoons
5 grams1.18 tsp

I updated the recipe with US values

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
I am still playing with temps... This has been the best so far... So will probably stick with this method until i try something new. I like to try new ways of doing things...

Well, like I said I'm a huge fan of those higher end temps on Butts, and with Traeger's convection that 'skins' over all meats it cooks, Butts should have no problem staying real moist yet a deep burned in BARK!!! Yours looked amazing!!!
I'm a fan of FAT UP tho... no biggie, I just never did like those grill marks and soft bottom, and I think the FAT bastes.

magoo40

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885

Maverick

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I have a 6.5lb Brisket in the brine mixture at the moment. In for 5 days and after a good wash the Katz's Pastrami rub is on and we cook on Sunday.
I’ve done the Katz process end to end probably 7 years ago and it was outstanding. I am going to give it another go for St. Patrick’s Day coming up soon. I read your last post and it looks like it turned out good. Any feedback or input based off your last experience?

Maverick

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Re reading the amazing ribs pastrami rub recipe...am I reading it right that it states to use both whole peppercorns and fresh pepper and the same for the coriander?

Ingredients​

2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns

2 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper

1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Masterbuilt 1050
That is correct and you will have peppercorns rolling around all over the place :LOL:

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Masterbuilt 1050
I’ve done the Katz process end to end probably 7 years ago and it was outstanding. I am going to give it another go for St. Patrick’s Day coming up soon. I read your last post and it looks like it turned out good. Any feedback or input based off your last experience?
To be honest I think it was the Russian sauce, sauerkraut, swiss cheese all on rye that made the difference. Slimpicker posted the brisket method and where it says Misty Gully pastrami seasoning is where you put Katz's on. The most mouth watering cook I have ever done.

Murf

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
So sad. The ribs look so lonely!

Rack of St Louis Spare Ribs using Meat Church recipe. IW885 very consistent temp thru the cook. 3hr unwrapped w/ss, 2 hrs @ 225 wrapped, 15 min unwrapped @ 225. BBQ sauce served on the side. A hit with the guests.
83345C6A-210A-472A-AB1B-9F4615AD1E0C.jpeg

Attachments

• 503B8F0C-8A07-4693-9E72-789B75432335.jpeg
    503B8F0C-8A07-4693-9E72-789B75432335.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 5AF96DA2-FDF7-4C2C-B931-2EAA9A191E7D.jpeg
    5AF96DA2-FDF7-4C2C-B931-2EAA9A191E7D.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

SmokinAL

Reaction score
Grill
Texas Elite 34
Well, like I said I'm a huge fan of those higher end temps on Butts, and with Traeger's convection that 'skins' over all meats it cooks, Butts should have no problem staying real moist yet a deep burned in BARK!!! Yours looked amazing!!!
I'm a fan of FAT UP tho... no biggie, I just never did like those grill marks and soft bottom, and I think the FAT bastes.
Next ones I'll cook fat side up, for shiggles.... Just to see the difference... Once its pulled those grill marks are invisible... lol

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Another throne chicken

20210305_175800.jpg

Latest Discussions