What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

I would think if the point and flat were seperated prior to brining and cooking it, there might be better bacon flavor to the brisket. And might taste better fried.
Agree totally. That is why I was considering buying the portioned brisket when they put them on sale. The price isn't usually a lot more than the whole brisket. If not, just buy a whole one and split it myself

I would think if the point and flat were seperated prior to brining and cooking it, there might be better bacon flavor to the brisket. And might taste better fried.
Besides....maybe do bacon with the flat and burnt ends with the point!? Oh ya ! 😎

I'm loving these GrillGrates, roasted chicken parts at 450F with Meat Church and Jack Daniel's rubs.

The longer cooks really let the Grates do their magic. This was not a reverse sear, just cooked on the grates at 450F in this sequence to have them all done at the same time;

1- Drop Breasts
Wait 10min
2- Drop Thighs
Wait 5min
3- Flip Breasts
Wait 5min
4- Flip Thighs
Wait 10min
Check Internal temps, Pull at 165F, it won't hurt if they go over a bit.

CFF8153C-4C2F-4135-9F23-FE214DF2E8E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Yikes, snow! I'd be inside with a heart warming adult beverage by the fire.

My pork Butts came out SO GOOD! We are over stuffed tonight, and the 2nd butt will be portioned and vac sealed for later.

I'll be cooking thing in twos from here on I think.
Looks great RemE! Did you wrap in foil or butcher paper? I'm doing a pair of butts and trying to figure out if I need to start the night before or I can get 'em done by starting at 6AM (for consumption around 6PM). They're about 9 pounds each.

Looks great RemE! Did you wrap in foil or butcher paper? I'm doing a pair of butts and trying to figure out if I need to start the night before or I can get 'em done by starting at 6AM (for consumption around 6PM). They're about 9 pounds each.
I foil wrapped.

I imagine that at a higher temp you might get them done in a day, but after two dinner time fails I have adopted the lower temp overnight method. This guarantees a good rest after the cook and makes hitting the needed dinner hour easy. My wife tells me that having everything as pre-done as possible takes the stress out of dinners, per the Barefoot Countessa.

My pair took 15 hours, then rested for 4 hours in the cooler before dinner and were still almost too hot to handle when I pulled them. It's said that adequate rest time is a critical step too.

BTW as I type this I had grabbed a vac pac of some of this pork butt, warmed it, shredded, and am eating it in scrambled eggs right now. I'm sad that I learned all this cool stuff so late in life! Lot of catching up to do!

Pork Butts.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks and I agree about the overnight option versus same-day. I also agree about learning all this cool stuff late in life! I gotta get me one of them Fireboards. Would they replace an instant-read or do folks use both? (Hopefully I didn't derail this thread)

I'm sad that I learned all this cool stuff so late in life! Lot of catching up to do!

You got that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and I agree about the overnight option versus same-day. I also agree about learning all this cool stuff late in life! I gotta get me one of them Fireboards. Would they replace an instant-read or do folks use both? (Hopefully I didn't derail this thread)
You need both! An Instant Read is always a good thing to have to know where things are at NOW. The Fireboard logging adds great insight as to how cooks are going, especially long cooks, with superior alerting as well.

I think I am going to try my first beer can chicken tonight. I am on the fence for a few things though: 1) I'm not too thrilled to see the top two ingredients for Traeger's Chicken Rub are sugar and salt so I'm looking at their veggie rub (I heard it was basically the old chicken rub recipe) or just do my own; and 2) do I use an actual beer can or get fancy and buy the Traeger Chicken Throne (leaning toward the latter).

Decisions decisions!

I think I am going to try my first beer can chicken tonight. I am on the fence for a few things though: 1) I'm not too thrilled to see the top two ingredients for Traeger's Chicken Rub are sugar and salt so I'm looking at their veggie rub (I heard it was basically the old chicken rub recipe) or just do my own; and 2) do I use an actual beer can or get fancy and buy the Traeger Chicken Throne (leaning toward the latter).

Decisions decisions!
The ceramic thrones are more stable, and may collect more heat, that's a plus

Arrgg its been 3 weeks since i used the Traegers. I couldn't stand it any longer!
Soooo, ran to the store real quick this morning, pick up some St. Louis ribs, got the 780 fired up.
Its a balmy 26f with a 14mph wind.
20210123_131558.jpg
trying the new Sweet rib rub on 3 racks. Heinz 57 on 2, mustard on 2, and 1 plain Sweet rib. The William's Rib Tickler didnt show up today, so that'll be later on next rib cook.

Just for kicks here's the cook....
Sat Jan 23 Session https://share.fireboard.io/F864CD

Last edited:
Since you're probing them, what do you take them to?

Arrgg its been 3 weeks since i used the Traegers. I couldn't stand it any longer!
Soooo, ran to the store real quick this morning, pick up some St. Louis ribs, got the 780 fired up.
Its a balmy 26f with a 14mph wind. trying the new Sweet rib rub on 3 racks. Heinz 57 on 2, mustard on 2, and 1 plain Sweet rib. The William's Rib Tickler didnt show up today, so that'll be later on next rib cook.

Just for kicks here's the cook....
Sat Jan 23 Session https://share.fireboard.io/F864CD
Don't you love the live cook share! Fireboard just kicks butt.

Back