What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

Kinders is at Sam's, I've also got a costco card but don't know if Kinder's is there.
We don't have Sam's Club up here. So unless they allow guest passes I can only look at drool in there

We don't have Sam's Club up here. So unless they allow guest passes I can only look at drool in there
They do... OR, PM me with the address of where you are staying. Mailing to there will be tons cheaper than to Canada
We'll get you some Kinder's one way or the other

It sounds like you need two cups of coffee before starting your cook. LOL.

I like Kinder's Mild BBQ Sauce. How spicy is the dry rub? I can take a little heat, but cannot tolerate a lot of hot pepper.
Not bad at all

It was more like complete pulled pork. No ham flavor because it isn't cured. Smoke had penetrated to give some great color into the ham and shoulder portions. The texture is 'buttery' and the meat melts in your mouth. Imagine pulled pork on an ultimate level. The meat is so much nicer than doing a butt or shoulder. It is by far the best pulled pork I have ever done.
I watched videos of Carolina style whole hog BBQ. They chop everything up and apparently that is how the original pulled pork was made. They also chop up the skin and that is the "bark" for this cook. I noticed that you didn't chop up the skin in your FB cook photos!

I just decided I'm doing a Wilbur for opening Hunt Day this year, my buddies son just got his Traeger , he can bring the Brisket
How will you fit it in the Pro 575? Rusty said that it was 30" long. The 575 main grate is only 22". One more reason I should have got the Pro 780!

I just decided I'm doing a Wilbur for opening Hunt Day this year, my buddies son just got his Traeger , he can bring the Brisket
I actually think it is as easy as a brisket to cook. Once it's in, nothing to do but watch the skin tan up.
You can get Kinder's at both Costco and Walmart in the US. Surprised that they are not carried in Canada.
You can get Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse at Costco up here, but no other styles. Seems they really limit what they bring across the border for selection on some smaller US brands
How will you fit it in the Pro 575? Rusty said that it was 30" long. The 575 main grate is only 22". One more reason I should have got the Pro 780!
I watched a lot of videos of whole pig roasts. You can 'roll' the hind and back more and have the back legs closer to the front (hopefully that makes sense). I watched guys get them on 22" eggs on YouTube. So it is definitely doable.
I would have had to do that if I used my 650

I watched videos of Carolina style whole hog BBQ. They chop everything up and apparently that is how the original pulled pork was made. They also chop up the skin and that is the "bark" for this cook. I noticed that you didn't chop up the skin in your FB cook photos!
The skin isn't at a stage where I would chop it. It is hard, but has a rubbery texture. I don't think it would have been pleasant chopped up in it. There were some charred pieces from the underside and they were used in the pulled pork.
I could have cooked it off more, but not at the expense of the meat. Maybe if I cooked the pig at 250-275, that might have changed the texture of the skin.
I do plan on using it. I scraped it last night and cut it into strips. I will deep fry it and make chicharon with the skin for some pulled pork nachos over spiced chicharon

It was more like complete pulled pork. No ham flavor because it isn't cured. Smoke had penetrated to give some great color into the ham and shoulder portions. The texture is 'buttery' and the meat melts in your mouth. Imagine pulled pork on an ultimate level. The meat is so much nicer than doing a butt or shoulder. It is by far the best pulled pork I have ever done.
I was surprised as there is a fair amount of meat on that size pig. I would definitely do this again. The most difficult part is handling the carcass through the process

In Eastern North Carolina and Tidewater Virginia, barbecue usually means that an entire hog is cooked and mopped with a vinegar based sauce. When I lived in that area, I loved going to a pig pickin'.

I dined on suckling pig only one time. It was at a Medieval / Renaissance feast complete with madrigal singers, dancers and costumed pageantry such as might have been found in a royal court of the era. Suckling pig is a dinner fit for a king on a special occasion.

Of course, back in medieval times, the king would have had servants to roast the pig and provide the entertainment. But we can call you "His Highness", anyway. I hope you had suitable period entertainment during your feast.

Putting a 6.5lb pork butt on for an overnight cook. Seasoned with MC Gospel and Honey Hog. Pictures tomorrow!
14.5 hours later. Turned out pretty good. My picture of it shredded was blurry. I must have been in a rush to get eating!

Attachments

• 9343A2E2-3B6F-46A3-9041-86A4564B3DF8.jpeg
    9343A2E2-3B6F-46A3-9041-86A4564B3DF8.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 19
A little dry this time. Whole thing had that 'chuckie' texture and taste... either I just got me a bad cut or I trimmed too much fat off. I can't think of any other reason, the cook itself went 'by the book'. Cooler rested for 3 hr wrapped in foil. Should have retained juices.

1655731013755.png

1655731033891.png

1655731058739.png

1655731090229.png

Last edited:
They do... OR, PM me with the address of where you are staying. Mailing to there will be tons cheaper than to Canada
We'll get you some Kinder's one way or the other
Picked a few up to try while out and about today
20220701_154928.jpg20220701_154949.jpg20220701_155009.jpg

They were sampling the sugar free sauce, it was amazing. Keto friendly as well

Back