What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
My wife loved grilled cedar-planked salmon steaks. After soaking the plank in water for a few hours, I would paint the salmon with Dijon Mustard, and crumble some light brown sugar over top. Onto the gas grill (this was pre-Traeger) to an IT of 135*F. Happy wife, happy life. And no sticking!
I have the cook down, just going for style points. Once the flesh side gets its grill marks I flip skin side down straight on the grill to IT of 135F. Then slide wide spatula under meat, leaving skin behind on the grate. I will figure out how to get those grill stripes!

Blip

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have the cook down, just going for style points. Once the flesh side gets its grill marks I flip skin side down straight on the grill to IT of 135F. Then slide wide spatula under meat, leaving skin behind on the grate. I will figure out how to get those grill stripes!
I cook salmon at 400 degrees on the grillgrate, about 6 minutes. No flip. I cook to about 115 internal temperature, for medium rare. I flip the salmon when plating to display some grill marks. With good fish I think it’s more important to have moist flesh than beautiful grill marks.

Slimpicker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
what was you temp?

ExUnifliter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro Series 22
[QUOTE="RemE, post: 13530, member: 317"
[/QUOTE]
Sorry. Misinterpreted your question.

ExUnifliter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro Series 22
Tonight I jumped into the Traeger’d-boneless-St. Louis-cut-rib-sandwich, à la McDonald’s legendary McRib arena (full disclosure...I’ve never actually had a McRib, but the concept (and their marketing photos) intrigued me).
Traeger’d up a rack of WinCo St. Louis cut ribs as I usually do, but scoring the skin over each bone on the underside and foil-wrapping for 2 hours instead of my normal 1 hour 15 minutes to get more tender.
@6 hours, pulled to rest, grilled Crostini bun, treated with Famous Dave’s Rich n Sassy, dill pickle slices, and chopped red onion.
Delicious adventure.
Neat new way to eat ribs, but...Next time (and there will be a next time...)
1) Start with a higher quality rack
2) Trim away all cartilage areas
3) Bump temps one notch at each level to get a bit more tender at finish
4) Maybe large chop Walla Walla Sweet onion instead of small chop red
5) Add photo of Top o’ the Ribs

Attachments

Last edited:

RustyJake

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Tonight I jumped into the Traeger’d-boneless-St. Louis-cut-rib-sandwich, à la McDonald’s legendary McRib arena (full disclosure...I’ve never actually had a McRib, but the concept (and their marketing photos) intrigued me).
Traeger’d up a rack of WinCo St. Louis cut ribs as I usually do, but scoring the skin over each bone on the underside and foil-wrapping for 2 hours instead of my normal 1 hour 15 minutes to get more tender.
@6 hours, pulled to rest, grilled Crostini bun, treated with Famous Dave’s Rich n Sassy, dill pickle slices, and chopped red onion.
Delicious adventure.
Neat new way to eat ribs, but...Next time (and there will be a next time...)
1) Start with a higher quality rack
2) Trim away all cartilage areas
3) Bump temps one notch at each level to get a bit more tender at finish
4) Maybe large chop Walla Walla Sweet onion instead of small chop red
5) Add photo of Top o’ the Ribs
Can't say I have never had a McRib. They are my guilty pleasure. You either love them or hate them. I like the idea of a boneless rib sandwich on the Traeger.
I came across this recipe last week

Slimpicker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
One of our local BBQ joints sells "PULLED RIB" meat/sandwich... same idea, has to be tender enough to FALL OFF the bone and then pulled like pork butt...

Last edited:

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I love Mcribs! No pickle extra onions!!!

Ill have to try these ideas!

GrillMeister

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22
Probably one of the easiest and cheapest things to cook for a family meal on the Traeger is a Pork Tenderloin. These puppies can be had in my local HEB for about $7-8 buck for two tenderloin for a total of 2+ lbs. of lean protein.

Easy Peasy. First, rub your tenderloins with EVO, then dust with your favorite BBQ rub. Then go fire up your Traeger to 375. When it comes to temp, pop em on and wait 20 minutes then flip and wait 10 more. More often then not, they will be about 145 internal by then. Check them if you want before hand with a good instant temp thermometer like the Thermapen MK4 while enjoying an adult beverage. Pull them off at 145 and let them rest a few minutes. There will be some pink areas, but that's perfectly OK. Talk about tender pork. Mmmm. Serve with Raspberry Chipolte dipping sauce.

Pork Tenderloin 1.jpeg

Pork Tenderloin 2.jpeg

Pork Tenderloin 3.jpeg

Slimpicker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
I gotta give a shout out to Holy Gospel on chicken legs... I didn't take any pics cuz it was just 7 legs out of a 14 leg pack for only $5... didn't think nothing of it really but I hung them from my leg rack after putting some serious amount of Holy Gospel on them... WOW, when the wife is impressed, all is good in the land
Can't wait to do the other 7... (y)

RustyJake

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Probably one of the easiest and cheapest things to cook for a family meal on the Traeger is a Pork Tenderloin. These puppies can be had in my local HEB for about $7-8 buck for two tenderloin for a total of 2+ lbs. of lean protein.

Easy Peasy. First, rub your tenderloins with EVO, then dust with your favorite BBQ rub. Then go fire up your Traeger to 375. When it comes to temp, pop em on and wait 20 minutes then flip and wait 10 more. More often then not, they will be about 145 internal by then. Check them if you want before hand with a good instant temp thermometer like the Thermapen MK4 while enjoying an adult beverage. Pull them off at 145 and let them rest a few minutes. There will be some pink areas, but that's perfectly OK. Talk about tender pork. Mmmm. Serve with Raspberry Chipolte dipping
You need to try braiding the tenderloin. Cut three parallel strips into each loin, stopping about an inch from the one end. Season each leg with a different rub and then braid them together.
Just gives it a different look and a blend of seasoning

ExUnifliter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro Series 22
You need to try braiding the tenderloin. Cut three parallel strips into each loin, stopping about an inch from the one end. Season each leg with a different rub and then braid them together.
Absolutely agree.

Attachments

RustyJake

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Cool. My braiding skills are zilch. I'll get SWMBO to do that, otherwise it will look like a square know or a pretzel. :)
lol I get that. I had never braided anything in my life before I tried. Yes, it shows....😉🙂
I even tried adding some bacon into the weave. Not necessary, but I like bacon
20200719_142932.jpg20200719_142938.jpg

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Cool idea, now thinking of complimentary rub blends. This is going to happen.

John S.

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Beef Kabab's w/ Onion, peppers, Mushrooms and Tomatoes.
Marinade recipe @ TreagerGrills