Timberline 1300 lighting

Oryx

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
afternoon, hoping anyone can offer some help.
I feel I have a $3000 lawn ornament!.
Purchased a Timberline 1300 as a Christmas present for myself. I have had 7 months of Slow ignition warnings and failure to light warnings. I Have contacted Traeger, they say to check my pellets, check for ash build up. Check power cord..you name it. In the end after 20 mins and warnings...It lights so it is not an issue...but 7 months of failure errors.

I have a Pro 22. Lights in minutes.
Have been using that so I dont have to deal with the errors all the time.

So far, I have replaced the firepot and heat stick. A new power cord... firmware updates. Etc.

Any help on solving my issue would be greatly appreciated.

When it does work. Heat stability and smoke are awesome....but getting it to work.

How far does the igniter rod protude into the fire pot, some have adjusted this and have fixed there issue.

1/4 to 1/2 " it's like the rod heats for 1 to 2 seconds and that's it.

afternoon, hoping anyone can offer some help.
I feel I have a $3000 lawn ornament!.
Purchased a Timberline 1300 as a Christmas present for myself. I have had 7 months of Slow ignition warnings and failure to light warnings. I Have contacted Traeger, they say to check my pellets, check for ash build up. Check power cord..you name it. In the end after 20 mins and warnings...It lights so it is not an issue...but 7 months of failure errors.

I have a Pro 22. Lights in minutes.
Have been using that so I dont have to deal with the errors all the time.

So far, I have replaced the firepot and heat stick. A new power cord... firmware updates. Etc.

Any help on solving my issue would be greatly appreciated.

When it does work. Heat stability and smoke are awesome....but getting it to work.

I had the exact issue with my 850, it's one year old now and had this issue from early on. I decided to call support and told them that it must be the igniter (hot rod), slow starts, fail error, 25+ minutes to start.
They sent me a new firepot/hotrod assembly and now the grill starts in about 5 minutes.

Hmm that's weird, mine only takes about 5 minutes to light up. Are there pellets in the firebox when igniting?

Yes. There are pellets in the pot.
It's a brand new firepot and ignitor.

Its like the fan cools everything instead of helping it light...
It is the same issue..whether its 20f or 85f outside.

Yes. There are pellets in the pot.
It's a brand new firepot and ignitor.

Its like the fan cools everything instead of helping it light...
It is the same issue..whether its 20f or 85f outside.
OK, if you have a new firepot assy, then the next step is a new controller, as it handles the igniter timing and power. The hotrod is supposed to run about 5min I believe.

The last possibility is the power supply module but I've not read anything of them failing. The highest power load is at startup with the hotrod on. I did make sure all of the connectors were well seated while inside of the wiring bay.

Remember, the grills only pull 100Watts max, probably when starting, after that, even less lower so power cords can be very light weight and aren't ever the issue, unless cut/broken/loose.

The grill has a 3 year warranty so hopefully they will shoot you a new controller asap.

I also just got my controller replaced because the temp setting knob was acting erratic, Traeger activated my iPhone camera and let me show them. They sent a controller in 3 days, got it last week.

Last edited:
New controller on the way. Fingers crossed it will work.
guess third tech at customer service was the magic #

What firmware version are you on with your current controller?

I've had slow ignitions as well, although just got my grill on Father's Day. I'm on an old firmware.... 02.00.01 (Config 07.004) - Released 3/27/2018.

Updates are on hold apparently, but I'm curious to see when they resume again if I receive a newer firmware. Specifically this one:

- 02.01.00 (Config 07.006) Released 3/24/2020.... as it mentions: "2. Improved Ignition Performance"

What firmware version are you on with your current controller?

I've had slow ignitions as well, although just got my grill on Father's Day. I'm on an old firmware.... 02.00.01 (Config 07.004) - Released 3/27/2018.

Updates are on hold apparently, but I'm curious to see when they resume again if I receive a newer firmware. Specifically this one:

- 02.01.00 (released 3/24/20) as it mentions: "2. Improved Ignition Performance"
The new controller I received last week is at 02.00.01 and is holding at that. But ignition is about 5min now for mine.

The new controller I received last week is at 02.00.01 and is holding at that. But ignition is about 5min now for mine.

Nice, that is good to know. I have yet to put a call in ... mine ignitions are usually ~14m to 16m or so before preheating starts.

Was yours resolved with the new controller, or the firepot/hotrod assembly you mentioned earlier? Or did you have other issues aside from slow ignition? EDIT: Ah - ignore, I see you had erratic temp setting knob on the controller. Simply a new hotrod/firepot assembly replacement fixed your ignition timing.

I may give them a call soon then. I've only done a half dozen cooks on it so far, but almost everyone has thrown the slow ignition warning in the app. One didn't, but it was still 14 minutes...

Last edited:
Here is my FW version
20200716_103105.jpg

My issue has not been resolved as of yet. They are sending out the controller this week. Will put that to the test and hopefully it fixes the issue

My issue has not been resolved as of yet. They are sending out the controller this week. Will put that to the test and hopefully it fixes the issue

Keep us up to date with how it goes. I may call them in a week or two if my ignition times do not improve. I'm usually between 14-20 minutes before it preheats. Not good when many report ~5 minute times. That would be ideal, and would reduce the amount of smoldering and white smoke at startup. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm about to burn the neighborhood down.

Back