Running below set point

Dave G.

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 81B
Silverton 81B runs 15-20F below the set point. Problematic when I want to use super smoke but have to bump the temp 15 degrees.

Can the thermocouple be calibrated?

Walleye Hunter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
My Pro 575 runs colder than what the controller shows and I haven' seen any way to remedy it. I use a Fireboard and set my temps by it, sometimes it's a 30* difference.

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
No you cant calibrate the rtd to control temp. Ive been having the same issue with my pro 780. Here is the thread...

And welcome to the forum!

John S.

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I had an 810 and had the same problem in revrse, and it was off by 40 - 50, after many phone calls with CS and 2 new probes I returned it and bought Timberline. Over all a much better solution. It was over budget, but worth it in the end....

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS
Silverton 81B runs 15-20F below the set point. Problematic when I want to use super smoke but have to bump the temp 15 degrees.

Can the thermocouple be calibrated?

15° - 20° isn't that bad really, but the ONLY real solution is to get and rely on a good probe system and only use the Traeger probe for a guide

My Pro 575 runs colder than what the controller shows and I haven' seen any way to remedy it. I use a Fireboard and set my temps by it, sometimes it's a 30* difference.

Instead of all your time and worry to make a Traeger perfect, just invest in Fireboard and consider that as a Traeger addon. That's the best advice for a small degree problem you have

AlbinRVA

Reaction score
Grill
Big Tex Elite - Silverton 810
I had an issue on my first cook with my Silverton 810. My ribs took 2.5 hours longer than they ever did on my BBQ075 which I owned for 7 years. Over that time I became very proficient at using a Traeger so when my first cook on the Silverton took so long, I knew something was amiss. I experimented with 3 probes spaced across the grill at 1" above grill height. I found that the further away from the RTD, the temp loss got greater. I contacted Traeger and in the end, they sent me a new RTD. I installed the RTD and did a more definitive temperature check with 3 specific targeted settings (225, 250 and 275). I captured 3 data points on each target temp as follows:
1. When target was reached I recorded Controller temp and each of the 3 probes
2. I then chased the high temp at each target setting and recorded the Controller temp and each of the 3 probes.
3. I then chased the low temp at each target setting and recorded the Controller temp and each of the 3 probes.

The high-low temperature swings were less on the Silverton compared to the BBQ075 which was consistently +/- 15 degrees. It was close to +/- 6 degrees on Silverton.
Here are the results (from right to left starting with controller temp:
At 225 Target: -17 -18 -23 degrees
At 250 Target: -16 -21 -27 degrees
At 275 Target: -16 -23 -29 degrees

The temp loss above was the average for the 3 recordings I took which were at target temp for first time, at high temp and at low temp.

I don't believe it is a Controller issue or a RTD issue, but an airflow issue across the grill. Whether it is due to the fan controls or the downdraft exhaust, who knows. I do know that it is difficult to cook properly across the grill. I shouldn't have to strategically place my meat and or increase controller temps and closely monitor the cook all day. I never had to do that with my BBQ075. At the pricepoint of the Silverton, this should not happen.

Latest Discussions