Running below set point

Dave G.

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 81B
Silverton 81B runs 15-20F below the set point. Problematic when I want to use super smoke but have to bump the temp 15 degrees.

Can the thermocouple be calibrated?

My Pro 575 runs colder than what the controller shows and I haven' seen any way to remedy it. I use a Fireboard and set my temps by it, sometimes it's a 30* difference.

No you cant calibrate the rtd to control temp. Ive been having the same issue with my pro 780. Here is the thread...

And welcome to the forum!

I had an 810 and had the same problem in revrse, and it was off by 40 - 50, after many phone calls with CS and 2 new probes I returned it and bought Timberline. Over all a much better solution. It was over budget, but worth it in the end....

Silverton 81B runs 15-20F below the set point. Problematic when I want to use super smoke but have to bump the temp 15 degrees.

Can the thermocouple be calibrated?

15° - 20° isn't that bad really, but the ONLY real solution is to get and rely on a good probe system and only use the Traeger probe for a guide

My Pro 575 runs colder than what the controller shows and I haven' seen any way to remedy it. I use a Fireboard and set my temps by it, sometimes it's a 30* difference.

Instead of all your time and worry to make a Traeger perfect, just invest in Fireboard and consider that as a Traeger addon. That's the best advice for a small degree problem you have

I had an issue on my first cook with my Silverton 810. My ribs took 2.5 hours longer than they ever did on my BBQ075 which I owned for 7 years. Over that time I became very proficient at using a Traeger so when my first cook on the Silverton took so long, I knew something was amiss. I experimented with 3 probes spaced across the grill at 1" above grill height. I found that the further away from the RTD, the temp loss got greater. I contacted Traeger and in the end, they sent me a new RTD. I installed the RTD and did a more definitive temperature check with 3 specific targeted settings (225, 250 and 275). I captured 3 data points on each target temp as follows:
1. When target was reached I recorded Controller temp and each of the 3 probes
2. I then chased the high temp at each target setting and recorded the Controller temp and each of the 3 probes.
3. I then chased the low temp at each target setting and recorded the Controller temp and each of the 3 probes.

The high-low temperature swings were less on the Silverton compared to the BBQ075 which was consistently +/- 15 degrees. It was close to +/- 6 degrees on Silverton.
Here are the results (from right to left starting with controller temp:
At 225 Target: -17 -18 -23 degrees
At 250 Target: -16 -21 -27 degrees
At 275 Target: -16 -23 -29 degrees

The temp loss above was the average for the 3 recordings I took which were at target temp for first time, at high temp and at low temp.

I don't believe it is a Controller issue or a RTD issue, but an airflow issue across the grill. Whether it is due to the fan controls or the downdraft exhaust, who knows. I do know that it is difficult to cook properly across the grill. I shouldn't have to strategically place my meat and or increase controller temps and closely monitor the cook all day. I never had to do that with my BBQ075. At the pricepoint of the Silverton, this should not happen.

Back