Help! Ironwood won’t connect to phone

They emailed me yesterday to ask me for my phone model, OS version and app version. The controller still shows UPS 'pre-shipment' which could just mean they have printed a label. This suggests to me they want to either make sure the firmware will match, or load a version that will onto the controller before actually sending it...

Despite my best patience this is getting to be very tiresome. I hope someone influential from Traeger monitors this forum - this has been a really poor customer experience overall on a super-premium product (my opinion based on price-point) and had I an inkling I would have bought a competitor product. I am keeping an open mind as I like the product (as much as I have been able to experience it), but if returning it and going with another brand was an easy available option I would.

Last edited:
I contacted Traeger US after I received a "I haven't heard of any issues regarding the controller" stock excuse as well as " I can't be bothered" comment about my grill door from the Canadian Rep.
I was lucky right out of the gate, it is a crap shoot as to what tech capability the rep has. Apparently the replacement controller has a new wifi antenna and a redesigned board. The existing thermocouple is being replaced and the latest firmware will be installed. I asked about the thermocouple and was told there were issues with longevity and calibration.
When I mentioned my door gap I was told there is a hinge kit that will address this concern. They threw in a bottom door gasket as well along with a selection of rubs and sauces, whatever that may be?????

The call was last thursday and when I checked monday morning the parts were in South Carolina enroute to Barrie Ont. Due tomorrow. Like Christmas in August, whoo hoo!!!!! o_O???

The controller was in Ft Erie, Ontario Canada as of 9 am , almost home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No BS and put offs , I is a happy old fart ??o_O

Last edited:
I wish I would have been more persistent from the get go as well. My board is en route and has made it to NJ so getting closer. I got the same attitude as you. They made it sound like they had never heard of anything like this ever being an issue.

I contacted Traeger US after I received a "I haven't heard of any issues regarding the controller" stock excuse as well as " I can't be bothered" comment about my grill door from the Canadian Rep.
I was lucky right out of the gate, it is a crap shoot as to what tech capability the rep has. Apparently the replacement controller has a new wifi antenna and a redesigned board. The existing thermocouple is being replaced and the latest firmware will be installed. I asked about the thermocouple and was told there were issues with longevity and calibration.
When I mentioned my door gap I was told there is a hinge kit that will address this concern. They threw in a bottom door gasket as well along with a selection of rubs and sauces, whatever that may be?????

The call was last thursday and when I checked monday morning the parts were in South Carolina enroute to Barrie Ont. Due tomorrow. Like Christmas in August, whoo hoo!!!!! o_O???

The controller was in Ft Erie, Ontario Canada as of 9 am , almost home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No BS and put offs , I is a happy old fart ??o_O

Just checked on mine again and it is indeed now on the move! Sounds like you'll get yours first so please let us know if it does resolve - good luck!

The package arrived today. 2 tins of rub and 2 bottles of sauce, aaaaaarrrrrrrrch o_O?o_O?o_O!

I called and thanked them for the bribe. The rep called the warehouse in Atlanta and apparently my controller arrived this morning and will be on it's way withing 24 to 48 hours along with the hinge kit. (sounds like another storey) No sense in making the rep take abuse for the fouled up system. Time will tell if'n I get it this shipped in the very near future. ?

Mine Should be here tomorrow. I will let you all know details once I get it.

I have no doubt this will be addressed. It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately companies rush sophisticated products like this, to market, without proper field testing. They want to be first at any cost.

New controller arrived yesterday, so will install it later today and fingers crossed will resolve this chapter. I'll update once I know!

OK this isn't funny now. Installed the new controller and attempted to get connected, no joy, exact same issue. I checked the firmware and indeed it is a different firmware from the original controller - an older version!!!

I started with 1.00.11 and now have 1.00.10.

Attachments

• IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 55
OK this isn't funny now. Installed the new controller and attempted to get connected, no joy, exact same issue. I checked the firmware and indeed it is a different firmware from the original controller - an older version!!!

I started with 1.00.11 and now have 1.00.10.

You have got to be kidding! Please let us know what customer service has to say. I have been waiting like a kid at Christmas for my new board, I am going to be so pissed if I have the same issue. Just to rule out router issues have you tried using a hot spot like your phone as an internet source? I did this with CS on the phone to prove to them that it wasn't a configuration issue on my router.

I wish I was. They even emailed me today to check I had received it, and in the email stated it would be firmware 01.01.04 | 06.006.

I've called back and requested the Rep I was dealing with to call me, still waiting.

As for trouble shooting, I am 99% sure it is firmware issue, I have set up a separate 2.4ghz network just for the grill 15' from router and still same issue. I have not tried using phone hotspot as only have the phone to run the app on, but again at this point am ay 99% surety and am not willing to go through any more troubleshooting.

Will update again after next contact, hope you have better luck.

Very strange. I just finished putting mine in. My firmware on the new board was also the older version of 1.00.10 but it connected right up no issues. I’m now just waiting for it to auto update to the most recent version. My replacement controller is not registering as an 883 like the previous post. It actually says 650 on the controller and in the about grill area.

Just to confirm. Once I was able to get the phone to sync the firmware updated from 1.00.10 to the latest within 30 minutes.

Just to confirm. Once I was able to get the phone to sync the firmware updated from 1.00.10 to the latest within 30 minutes.

Is there anything specific or special that you did? Same exact thing happened to me as pkitch. Super disappointed I waited for this thing to show up and nothing has changed.

Is there anything specific or special that you did? Same exact thing happened to me as pkitch. Super disappointed I waited for this thing to show up and nothing has changed.

Nothing special. I just took the 4 screws out, unplugged old and plugged in new. They sent a new power switch also but I didn’t bother replacing that. The only thing that I did that was different is the QR code is not going to match the grill anymore so I manually entered the grill name and password from the WiFi screen.

Back