Add a "Smokin-It" Cold Smoke Generator to Timberline 850

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
The clean-out screws, only one needs to be loosened to remove the bottom cover, very nice design.

OH very cool... just inspecting my rig it didn't look that way, that's good news (y)
Going hunting this weekend but plan to install my new toy ASAP next week, thnx again RemE

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
Hi RemE,
New to the forum and joined because I love to smoke meat and this post. I purchased the Bella from this post and loved what you did. I have a older Texas pro and after mounting I realized I have some questions I hope you can lend a hand with.
1. I mounted mine on the back side of the hopper with blind nuts for easy removal, what I’m worried about now (after the installation as always) is heat against the traeger and hopper. How did your heat barrier work? Any additional ideas for this?
2. Can you provide more detail on you latest plug you made to keep ash out of the cold smoke generator
3. I have yet to fire up and test but I assume it gets fairly hot at the bottom, is that the case?
1A075EA6-0984-4E6D-B921-BFE1A1858416.jpeg

OP
OP
RemE

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Hi RemE,
New to the forum and joined because I love to smoke meat and this post. I purchased the Bella from this post and loved what you did. I have a older Texas pro and after mounting I realized I have some questions I hope you can lend a hand with.
1. I mounted mine on the back side of the hopper with blind nuts for easy removal, what I’m worried about now (after the installation as always) is heat against the traeger and hopper. How did your heat barrier work? Any additional ideas for this?
2. Can you provide more detail on you latest plug you made to keep ash out of the cold smoke generator
3. I have yet to fire up and test but I assume it gets fairly hot at the bottom, is that the case?

1- The Bella generates very little heat, the YouTube comparison video showed pretty low smoke temps, approx 80F They already space the unit away from your smoke box to reduce heat transfer but I went ahead and used that 1/8" insulation just to add more isolation and also contain some smoke leakage from the grill usage. I wouldn't worry about your pellet hopper getting very hot at all. See pic below of the pad I made up.

Link to thin Insulation (Gasket) material, I then wrapped it in heavy foil to protect it;

2- My latest plug is a solid piece of 3/4" stainless rod. I got a piece on Amazon along with a 3/4" stainless collar. At first I used the collar to seal the hole better, and on a single wall installation like yours, the collar may add stability to the rod when inserted. Since my grill is double walled, I ended up just inserting the rod from inside the grill until it hit the Bella's air injection tube, then marked the rod on the inside of the grill and cut it to be flush with the inside of the grill, it just sets in place and can be removed from the outside if I pull the Bella. To cut the rod, I clamped it in a vise and used a reciprocating saw to chop if off. I attached pics below of the two ways I used the rod, with and without the collar. With the collar I even added a swivel cover out of 26ga stainless sheet to hold the rod tightly in place.

Link to Rod;

Link to Collar;

3- The Bella's lower half gets hot, you won't want to be touching it.

Attachments

• Foil Wrapped Insulation Pad.JPG
    Foil Wrapped Insulation Pad.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Solid .75in SS Plug3.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug3.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Solid .75in SS Plug5.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug5.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Solid .75in SS Plug1.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug1.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Solid .75in SS Plug2.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug2.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Plug Clip3.JPG
    Plug Clip3.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 12

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
1- The Bella generates very little heat, the YouTube comparison video showed pretty low smoke temps, approx 80F They already space the unit away from your smoke box to reduce heat transfer but I went ahead and used that 1/8" insulation just to add more isolation and also contain some smoke leakage from the grill usage. I wouldn't worry about your pellet hopper getting very hot at all. See pic below of the pad I made up.

Link to thin Insulation (Gasket) material, I then wrapped it in heavy foil to protect it;

2- My latest plug is a solid piece of 3/4" stainless rod. I got a piece on Amazon along with a 3/4" stainless collar. At first I used the collar to seal the hole better, and on a single wall installation like yours, the collar may add stability to the rod when inserted. Since my grill is double walled, I ended up just inserting the rod from inside the grill until it hit the Bella's air injection tube, then marked the rod on the inside of the grill and cut it to be flush with the inside of the grill, it just sets in place and can be removed from the outside if I pull the Bella. To cut the rod, I clamped it in a vise and used a reciprocating saw to chop if off. I attached pics below of the two ways I used the rod, with and without the collar. With the collar I even added a swivel cover out of 26ga stainless sheet to hold the rod tightly in place.

Link to Rod;

Link to Collar;

3- The Bella's lower half gets hot, you won't want to be touching it.

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
Hi RemE,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Snowing like crazy here so it’s a good day to order supplies and plan.

How did you hold/attach the foil covered gasket to the Bella?

Got other tips?

OP
OP
RemE

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Hi RemE,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Snowing like crazy here so it’s a good day to order supplies and plan.

How did you hold/attach the foil covered gasket to the Bella?

Got other tips?
If you look at the previous attached photo, it shows the foil covered gasket, held in place with a piece of aluminum foil air duct tape at the cooler top side of the Bella.

Other tips? I'm full of them, what subject?

Here's one, adding power tap for the Bella's air pump and other fun stuff;

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
That’s what I thought I saw in the picture. Got everything in my cart and ready to hit the submit button.

looking at power connections as well as a “storage” solution for pump and hose that I can attach to my bottom self (weather proof for those long brisket smokes).

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
I made a hanger...
I drilled an OFFSET hole in my plug so it kind of points down and fits over the blow tube, pointing down keeps the weight of the plug towards the tube

20201108_194230.jpg

20201108_194144.jpg

20201108_194117.jpg

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
Hey Guys,
So I finshed the high temp gasket and cut a slip groove into one side of mounting tabs to assist in my particular mounting issue (one bolt is behind the hopper, now I just loosen the bolt and slip it off). I just realized I used steel bind nuts and not stainless steel. So.... my question is do I need to worry about rusting? If so any ideas for solving? My fist thought was high temp black BBQ spray paint, but I’m not sure I need to worry about it. I do not store my Traeger outside.

Attachments

• 05B5324C-9CAC-4174-BB3F-9AA7ADABB24A.jpeg
    05B5324C-9CAC-4174-BB3F-9AA7ADABB24A.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 3

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Personally, i wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
RemE

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Probably no issue.

My favorite anti-rust spray is "Corrosion-X". It's excellent, I use it on all my weather exposed stuff, including outdoor power outlets etc.

Available on Amazon

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
Just had to break out my gun cleaning kit to clean the Smokin-it tube... wow does that thing get dirty and clogged...
but LOVE THAT SMOKE

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
Probably no issue.

My favorite anti-rust spray is "Corrosion-X". It's excellent, I use it on all my weather exposed stuff, including outdoor power outlets etc.

Available on Amazon
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks RemE!

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
Just had to break out my gun cleaning kit to clean the Smokin-it tube... wow does that thing get dirty and clogged...
but LOVE THAT SMOKE
Slimpicker.... great information! I will have to remember that.

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
Gonna have this baby on "Full Smoke Ahead" when I put that Turkey on.... apple pellets in the Smokin-it

BTW, I extended my tube 12" so now the smoke comes out right next to the fire pot and I get little to no blow back from the fan at all... all I get now is a Traeger full of smoke!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
RemE

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Gonna have this baby on "Full Smoke Ahead" when I put that Turkey on.... apple pellets in the Smokin-it

BTW, I extended my tube 12" so now the smoke comes out right next to the fire pot and I get little to no blow back from the fan at all... all I get now is a Traeger full of smoke!!!!!!!!!!

Just slipped this tube over the existing one? Nice idea.

I'm going to add apple smoke to my turkey as well!

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro

but LOVE THAT SMOKE
So are you doing away with the plug when you are not using the generator? I just finished making my plug but if there is no blow back when you extended the tube, I may rethink this.

OP
OP
RemE

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I would stick with the plug when not using the Bella. The grill is slightly pressurized in normal use so it would still back flow into the Bella when it isn't running.

Smudge

Reaction score
Grill
Lil' Tex Pro
Hey RemE and Slimpicker,
I guess I’m confused so looking to be educated please. What was Slimpicker talking about when he said “little to no blow back from the fan at all”. I have yet to fire up my Bella so I’m confused between Slimpicker’s comment and RemE original post comment about blow back and the need for the plug. Thanks for the understanding.

Latest Discussions