Add a "Smokin-It" Cold Smoke Generator to Timberline 850

Today I re-worked the smoke setup. I replaced the self tapping mounting screws with 1/4-20 stainless screws and stainless rivet nuts.

I also made the 3/4" stainless plug rod just a simple insert with no retainer inside. This allows removal by either pulling the smoker from the outside and swapping in the smoke tube or from inside the grill.

A plug is desirable to keep the grill from blowing back into the smoker when it's not in use.
6367CF97-2706-4645-97A4-CF4BBECA6851.jpeg
7FA69115-8C61-48BD-B251-177F56B300F1.jpeg
239A1DAE-54CA-42B3-9E27-FEEBEDDE2467.jpeg
9C005266-5ABC-4CFA-9045-B85663AF35A9.jpeg
F183296E-BBEC-4E22-B7BB-C72CD8E054C5.jpeg
9B135DC9-941F-4E2C-B396-523694642D31.jpeg

just got mine delivered... I got the rivets and tool...
I was gonna order that rod you linked to. I don't have the luxury of thick walls like you got. So what plugs mine when Smokin-it is off. (which I may never remove actually)

I guess i could get 2 of the collars and plug it that way when the Smokin-it is removed... I'm still not sure why I would remove it besides just cleaning and putting it right back.

Last edited:
just got mine delivered... I got the rivets and tool...
I was gonna order that rod you linked to. I don't have the luxury of thick walls like you got. So what plugs mine when Smokin-it is off. (which I may never remove actually)

I guess I could get 2 of the collars and plug it that way when the Smokin-it is removed... I'm still not sure why I would remove it besides just cleaning and putting it right back.

It shouldn't be necessary to remove the unit often, but it's a nice option. The Traeger metal side wall thickness is pretty thin so the rivet nuts are a good idea, Traeger uses them as well for this reason on their shelves etc.

Pro-tip, do NOT be tempted to lubricate the rivet nut crimp tool! At most just a dab of grease on the threads! I found out the hard way, the rivet nut must not slip against the face of the tool or you can't tighten it up! I had to wash the rivet and tool in acetone to remove all oils to fix it.

Regarding plugging the unit, do use a solid plug when not in use, the positive pressure when normal grilling will blow a lot of crap into the cold smoker if it's not running. I tried sliding a piece of capped pipe over the smoke tube, but it didn't stop the flow much.

Well I got the ROD you posted coming... so I'll do what you did.

BTW what size bit did you use to drill for the rivets??? just wondering if it was a numbered bit which number. I've got several micrometers so I'll "mike" it up but it doesn't say anywhere on the rivet bag what is recommended.

Next mission, how to make those 'cleanout screws' to be knobs

Last edited:
Well I got the ROD you posted coming... so I'll do what you did.

BTW what size bit did you use to drill for the rivets??? just wondering if it was a numbered bit which number. I've got several micrometers so I'll "mike" it up but it doesn't say anywhere on the rivet bag what is recommended.

Next mission, how to make those 'cleanout screws' to be knobs

I "Miked" the rivet, it was in-between my bits so I went small and filed it a bit.

The clean-out screws, only one needs to be loosened to remove the bottom cover, very nice design.

The clean-out screws, only one needs to be loosened to remove the bottom cover, very nice design.

OH very cool... just inspecting my rig it didn't look that way, that's good news (y)
Going hunting this weekend but plan to install my new toy ASAP next week, thnx again RemE

Hi RemE,
New to the forum and joined because I love to smoke meat and this post. I purchased the Bella from this post and loved what you did. I have a older Texas pro and after mounting I realized I have some questions I hope you can lend a hand with.
1. I mounted mine on the back side of the hopper with blind nuts for easy removal, what I’m worried about now (after the installation as always) is heat against the traeger and hopper. How did your heat barrier work? Any additional ideas for this?
2. Can you provide more detail on you latest plug you made to keep ash out of the cold smoke generator
3. I have yet to fire up and test but I assume it gets fairly hot at the bottom, is that the case?
1A075EA6-0984-4E6D-B921-BFE1A1858416.jpeg

Hi RemE,
New to the forum and joined because I love to smoke meat and this post. I purchased the Bella from this post and loved what you did. I have a older Texas pro and after mounting I realized I have some questions I hope you can lend a hand with.
1. I mounted mine on the back side of the hopper with blind nuts for easy removal, what I’m worried about now (after the installation as always) is heat against the traeger and hopper. How did your heat barrier work? Any additional ideas for this?
2. Can you provide more detail on you latest plug you made to keep ash out of the cold smoke generator
3. I have yet to fire up and test but I assume it gets fairly hot at the bottom, is that the case?

1- The Bella generates very little heat, the YouTube comparison video showed pretty low smoke temps, approx 80F They already space the unit away from your smoke box to reduce heat transfer but I went ahead and used that 1/8" insulation just to add more isolation and also contain some smoke leakage from the grill usage. I wouldn't worry about your pellet hopper getting very hot at all. See pic below of the pad I made up.

Link to thin Insulation (Gasket) material, I then wrapped it in heavy foil to protect it;

2- My latest plug is a solid piece of 3/4" stainless rod. I got a piece on Amazon along with a 3/4" stainless collar. At first I used the collar to seal the hole better, and on a single wall installation like yours, the collar may add stability to the rod when inserted. Since my grill is double walled, I ended up just inserting the rod from inside the grill until it hit the Bella's air injection tube, then marked the rod on the inside of the grill and cut it to be flush with the inside of the grill, it just sets in place and can be removed from the outside if I pull the Bella. To cut the rod, I clamped it in a vise and used a reciprocating saw to chop if off. I attached pics below of the two ways I used the rod, with and without the collar. With the collar I even added a swivel cover out of 26ga stainless sheet to hold the rod tightly in place.

Link to Rod;

Link to Collar;

3- The Bella's lower half gets hot, you won't want to be touching it.

Attachments

• Foil Wrapped Insulation Pad.JPG
    Foil Wrapped Insulation Pad.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Solid .75in SS Plug3.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug3.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Solid .75in SS Plug5.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug5.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Solid .75in SS Plug1.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug1.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Solid .75in SS Plug2.JPG
    Solid .75in SS Plug2.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Plug Clip3.JPG
    Plug Clip3.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 40
1- The Bella generates very little heat, the YouTube comparison video showed pretty low smoke temps, approx 80F They already space the unit away from your smoke box to reduce heat transfer but I went ahead and used that 1/8" insulation just to add more isolation and also contain some smoke leakage from the grill usage. I wouldn't worry about your pellet hopper getting very hot at all. See pic below of the pad I made up.

Link to thin Insulation (Gasket) material, I then wrapped it in heavy foil to protect it;

2- My latest plug is a solid piece of 3/4" stainless rod. I got a piece on Amazon along with a 3/4" stainless collar. At first I used the collar to seal the hole better, and on a single wall installation like yours, the collar may add stability to the rod when inserted. Since my grill is double walled, I ended up just inserting the rod from inside the grill until it hit the Bella's air injection tube, then marked the rod on the inside of the grill and cut it to be flush with the inside of the grill, it just sets in place and can be removed from the outside if I pull the Bella. To cut the rod, I clamped it in a vise and used a reciprocating saw to chop if off. I attached pics below of the two ways I used the rod, with and without the collar. With the collar I even added a swivel cover out of 26ga stainless sheet to hold the rod tightly in place.

Link to Rod;

Link to Collar;

3- The Bella's lower half gets hot, you won't want to be touching it.

Hi RemE,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Snowing like crazy here so it’s a good day to order supplies and plan.

How did you hold/attach the foil covered gasket to the Bella?

Got other tips?

Hi RemE,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Snowing like crazy here so it’s a good day to order supplies and plan.

How did you hold/attach the foil covered gasket to the Bella?

Got other tips?
If you look at the previous attached photo, it shows the foil covered gasket, held in place with a piece of aluminum foil air duct tape at the cooler top side of the Bella.

Other tips? I'm full of them, what subject?

Here's one, adding power tap for the Bella's air pump and other fun stuff;

That’s what I thought I saw in the picture. Got everything in my cart and ready to hit the submit button.

looking at power connections as well as a “storage” solution for pump and hose that I can attach to my bottom self (weather proof for those long brisket smokes).

I made a hanger...
I drilled an OFFSET hole in my plug so it kind of points down and fits over the blow tube, pointing down keeps the weight of the plug towards the tube

20201108_194230.jpg

20201108_194144.jpg

20201108_194117.jpg

Hey Guys,
So I finshed the high temp gasket and cut a slip groove into one side of mounting tabs to assist in my particular mounting issue (one bolt is behind the hopper, now I just loosen the bolt and slip it off). I just realized I used steel bind nuts and not stainless steel. So.... my question is do I need to worry about rusting? If so any ideas for solving? My fist thought was high temp black BBQ spray paint, but I’m not sure I need to worry about it. I do not store my Traeger outside.

Attachments

• 05B5324C-9CAC-4174-BB3F-9AA7ADABB24A.jpeg
    05B5324C-9CAC-4174-BB3F-9AA7ADABB24A.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 18
Personally, i wouldn't worry about it.

Back