Pro 780 No smoke

OP
OP
R

Ransom B

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Called Traeger and they said the Pro 780 doesn’t produce visible smoke. They said take it back to ACE Hardware and get the Ironwood 885 or the Timberline 1300 with the super smoke feature if I wanted a heavier smoke.
I went back to ACE today and they said to bring the grill back and get the Ironwood 885. Thank you Traeger and ACE for the excellent customer service.
P.S. Traeger said if anyone is using a pan with charcoal and wood chips or a Pellet tube in their Traeger grills to produce more smoke it will void the warranty.

Slimpicker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
P.S. Traeger said if anyone is using a pan with charcoal and wood chips or a Pellet tube in their Traeger grills to produce more smoke it will void the warranty.
obvious with the charcoal but a smoke tube??? I dunno

Last edited:

RemE

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Good news, do report back on how the new grill works out!

I am very surprised at Traeger's stance on a smoke tube, seriously?

sbcrockett

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
glad you were able to sort the issue with an exchange OP. fwiw, I've found the best results for searing steaks is putting a cast iron griddle in there and let it heat at 500 deg for a good 10-20 mins past preheat. great grill marks and the cast iron holds the heat if you open the lid.

haven't had the best luck with reverse sear (except for tri-tip). just prefer the traditional route for steaks, high temp and quick sear.

good luck :)

n_maher

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
My IW doesn't produce much visible smoke even when Super Smoke is used but I have exactly zero complaints with the finished product. Last week's brisket attached. Flavor was excellent, much better than my much smokier electric rig that it replaced.

Attachments

Dewey

Reaction score
Grill
Pro Series 22
obvious with the charcoal but a smoke tube??? I dunno
Not too suprising. I talked to a Traeger rep last week about replacing the fixed legs on my Pro Series 22 with caster legs from the Pro Series 34 and was told that would void the warranty. That seems to be their standard answer.

JDMiller

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I’ve had a Pro 780 for over 10 months now... absolutely no complaints. At low temp settings It produces plenty of smoke to set flavor. At higher temp settings it’s less visible smoke but I’ve also noticed that if your a distance away from the grill... you can see that faint blue smoke.... more of than you realize

Which not wanting this to come off as anything other than a statement...but it’s fueled by pellets and the ignition only runs when you initially start the cook. After that.... it’s all on the wood pellets and air flow. Other words it’s impossible to not be getting smoke. Which it might be nearly invisible thin blue smoke... but if the pellets are burning ... their making smoke.

The pic is of my Pro 780.... whoever says they won’t make smoke and need a different model is full of crap. Set the temp 165 to 195.... and it will put out plenty of smoke. 8085FD05-0C4E-433B-B207-81F0540DB159.jpeg

Dzacco

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 570
What's your cooking temperature? Like JD said above, you need to keep the temps as low as possible to get visible smoke, usually 170-195 for an hour then turn up as desired. Sometimes it's a struggle to keep it low especially if it's hot outside. I have even propped the door open a little bit to keep the temp down. I also use the smoke tube which produces smoke at any temperature. I just light it with a propane torch and away we go...

Last edited:

RemE

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I’ve had a Pro 780 for over 10 months now... absolutely no complaints. At low temp settings It produces plenty of smoke to set flavor. At higher temp settings it’s less visible smoke but I’ve also noticed that if your a distance away from the grill... you can see that faint blue smoke.... more of than you realize

Which not wanting this to come off as anything other than a statement...but it’s fueled by pellets and the ignition only runs when you initially start the cook. After that.... it’s all on the wood pellets and air flow. Other words it’s impossible to not be getting smoke. Which it might be nearly invisible thin blue smoke... but if the pellets are burning ... their making smoke.

The pic is of my Pro 780.... whoever says they won’t make smoke and need a different model is full of crap. Set the temp 165 to 195.... and it will put out plenty of smoke. View attachment 2511
His humidity was 10%. That dry will reduce smoke from any model.

CrazyLefty

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 885
Are the pellets burning away? If they're burning away then there must be smoke. When I first got my Traeger, there was WAY less smoke than i thought there would be, being used to charcoal and wood smokers, and an old Bradley smoker. Turns out it burns at just the right temp to extract the smoke from the wood without burning it, so you get the flavor without the negatives.

Finnthedoodle

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I had the same complaints, tried all kinds of pellets etc. In my experience, incorporating some time for a low temp part of the cook cycle is key to getting more smoke flavour. For example, if you would typically cook something at 275F, run it at 180 for part of the cooking cycle, then increase temp later.

rubinjackson

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I purchased a new Pro 780 and I’m very disappointed. No smoke “EVER”!!! The only time any smoke has came out of this grill was during the seasoning. I’ve tried every setting from 160 to 250 and not one puff of smoke. I set out on the patio yesterday for 8 hours doing a smoked rib recipe on the Traeger app. Nothing! Even the app says use the super smoke or smoke setting. Ha! The 780 doesn’t have these settings. I feel like I threw a $1000 dollars in the trash. Funny thing is that the cheaper models around $700 have a smoke setting and the more expensive $1500 to $2000 Models have super smoke but if you spend $1000, nope, you’re out of luck.
I hear you. I am not very happy with my purchase either. If you just bought it, you may be able to return it. A few people here told me to buy a smoker for my "smoker". Good luck on the return.

Honestbridge

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 570
I purchased a new Pro 780 and I’m very disappointed. No smoke “EVER”!!! The only time any smoke has came out of this grill was during the seasoning. I’ve tried every setting from 160 to 250 and not one puff of smoke. I set out on the patio yesterday for 8 hours doing a smoked rib recipe on the Traeger app. Nothing! Even the app says use the super smoke or smoke setting. Ha! The 780 doesn’t have these settings. I feel like I threw a $1000 dollars in the trash. Funny thing is that the cheaper models around $700 have a smoke setting and the more expensive $1500 to $2000 Models have super smoke but if you spend $1000, nope, you’re out of luck.
Need to break it in. I thought the same thing for a couple months but after it seasoned and when the temp is under ~250 it’s smokes pretty good. Not like a log but enough!

mullhaupt

Reaction score
Grill
pro 780
Ive had my 780 a year I think now, had the pro34 before that, like 780 better but I found out I get good smoke at 160-185 so I always start there, if you think it always smokes it does not . normally once every 5 -10 minutes you get a good shot, smells good, I have a few smokers and not even my stick smoker smokes all the time just when you add the wood but when hard wood burns it last along time with minimal smoke, if it had constant smoke your food would suck and I think the rule has been that the first 4 hours the meat takes in smoke then it seals

dkmoody

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
Amazing.

I just have to comment that the ideas, suggestions, and experiences here - even when I don't have a problem - is outstanding.

Thanks everyone for chiming in with lots of view points. Learning while lurking...

(Seattle where the air is like BBQ without the meat)