Pro 780 No smoke

I was watching YouTube videos today where they were complaining that Traeger’s won’t sear a steak either. I haven’t done steaks yet so I don’t know if this is true.
Many swear by this add-on for good reverse sear marks;

Last edited:
I was watching YouTube videos today where they were complaining that Traeger’s won’t sear a steak either. I haven’t done steaks yet so I don’t know if this is true.

The latest update lets max temp go to 500 Degrees Fahrenheit. So it should, although i havent tried it yet.

As mentioned... Try some different pellets>>> Bear mountain, or Cookinpellets, Hickory or oak
Start at as low of temp as you can for maybe an hour of your smoke to actually smoke your food first then cook regular...

And for a lousy few bucks you can get a smoke pellet tube and assist your grill smoke...

(link is for example only)
Thanks for the info

Hang in there Ransom... there's more than one way to skin a ..... chicken thigh?

Called Traeger and they said the Pro 780 doesn’t produce visible smoke. They said take it back to ACE Hardware and get the Ironwood 885 or the Timberline 1300 with the super smoke feature if I wanted a heavier smoke.
I went back to ACE today and they said to bring the grill back and get the Ironwood 885. Thank you Traeger and ACE for the excellent customer service.
P.S. Traeger said if anyone is using a pan with charcoal and wood chips or a Pellet tube in their Traeger grills to produce more smoke it will void the warranty.

Wow! Good for you!

P.S. Traeger said if anyone is using a pan with charcoal and wood chips or a Pellet tube in their Traeger grills to produce more smoke it will void the warranty.

obvious with the charcoal but a smoke tube??? I dunno

Last edited:
Good news, do report back on how the new grill works out!

I am very surprised at Traeger's stance on a smoke tube, seriously?

glad you were able to sort the issue with an exchange OP. fwiw, I've found the best results for searing steaks is putting a cast iron griddle in there and let it heat at 500 deg for a good 10-20 mins past preheat. great grill marks and the cast iron holds the heat if you open the lid.

haven't had the best luck with reverse sear (except for tri-tip). just prefer the traditional route for steaks, high temp and quick sear.

good luck :)

My IW doesn't produce much visible smoke even when Super Smoke is used but I have exactly zero complaints with the finished product. Last week's brisket attached. Flavor was excellent, much better than my much smokier electric rig that it replaced.

Attachments

• 5AFD5B52-F4EA-4A44-9F53-2154C9668273.jpeg
    5AFD5B52-F4EA-4A44-9F53-2154C9668273.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 63
obvious with the charcoal but a smoke tube??? I dunno

Not too suprising. I talked to a Traeger rep last week about replacing the fixed legs on my Pro Series 22 with caster legs from the Pro Series 34 and was told that would void the warranty. That seems to be their standard answer.

I’ve had a Pro 780 for over 10 months now... absolutely no complaints. At low temp settings It produces plenty of smoke to set flavor. At higher temp settings it’s less visible smoke but I’ve also noticed that if your a distance away from the grill... you can see that faint blue smoke.... more of than you realize

Which not wanting this to come off as anything other than a statement...but it’s fueled by pellets and the ignition only runs when you initially start the cook. After that.... it’s all on the wood pellets and air flow. Other words it’s impossible to not be getting smoke. Which it might be nearly invisible thin blue smoke... but if the pellets are burning ... their making smoke.

The pic is of my Pro 780.... whoever says they won’t make smoke and need a different model is full of crap. Set the temp 165 to 195.... and it will put out plenty of smoke.
8085FD05-0C4E-433B-B207-81F0540DB159.jpeg

What's your cooking temperature? Like JD said above, you need to keep the temps as low as possible to get visible smoke, usually 170-195 for an hour then turn up as desired. Sometimes it's a struggle to keep it low especially if it's hot outside. I have even propped the door open a little bit to keep the temp down. I also use the smoke tube which produces smoke at any temperature. I just light it with a propane torch and away we go...

Last edited:
I’ve had a Pro 780 for over 10 months now... absolutely no complaints. At low temp settings It produces plenty of smoke to set flavor. At higher temp settings it’s less visible smoke but I’ve also noticed that if your a distance away from the grill... you can see that faint blue smoke.... more of than you realize

Which not wanting this to come off as anything other than a statement...but it’s fueled by pellets and the ignition only runs when you initially start the cook. After that.... it’s all on the wood pellets and air flow. Other words it’s impossible to not be getting smoke. Which it might be nearly invisible thin blue smoke... but if the pellets are burning ... their making smoke.

The pic is of my Pro 780.... whoever says they won’t make smoke and need a different model is full of crap. Set the temp 165 to 195.... and it will put out plenty of smoke. View attachment 2511
His humidity was 10%. That dry will reduce smoke from any model.

Back