Pro 780 / Lowest temp is 200 degrees

Prowlrman

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I just purchased a Pro 780 this week. I have used it 3 times now and cannot get temps below 200 degrees. I started it today at 165 degrees and it goes right up to 200 - 210 ! It is set right now at 165 target but reading average 198 - 205. I placed an oven thermometer inside and that too reads about 200 degrees.

I did the "seasoning" step but made a mistake and shut it down between the low temp and high temp segments. I'm wondering if that step is so critical that my temps are messed up. Also when I first connected to WiFi it did do an update as soon as it connected. Any ideas?? I think I'll call Traeger tomorrow to ask about this. First pellet grill I have owned. Thanks for any input.

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
This link is what mine did. I havent been able to get mine below 175f.

magoo40

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Have you checked it with another thermometer, the actual temp versus the in-built probe are likely to be different.

OP
OP
P

Prowlrman

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
This link is what mine did. I havent been able to get mine below 175f.
Thanks Timmy. I am calling them tomorrow to see what they tell me. Mine runs 30-40 degrees too high so far for 3 times I've used it.

OP
OP
P

Prowlrman

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Have you checked it with another thermometer, the actual temp versus the in-built probe are likely to be different.
I placed an oven thermometer in it tonight, set Traeger temp at 165....digital read out on unit showed 200-205....thermometer inside grill and placed on the rack showed just under 200, so it appears the thermometer agrees with the digital readout but 30-40 degrees above the temp I set it at.

Lynda McCoy

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 620
I was watching some kind of cooking show about all the different smokers and how to cook brisket and the person talking about this made the comment that if it's a convection pellet smoker the temp will run a little higher because the fan is running to blow the heat around and out. I remember thinking that what he said is probably the reason why our temperature gage is running higher than what we set it at. Made a lot of sense to me and I decided right then that I would quit worrying about it. This pellet smoking is new to me as well. Always before I used wood chips.

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
My grill temp actually runs 30f cooler.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Honestly they just seem to vary, some high, some low. Traeger has a pretty wide temp variance spec allowed.

For consistancy sake I'm a fan of using a quality remote thermometer setup like Fireboard. This is so you know exactly what temps you have in the grill and food, so that recipes come out as expected.

This is a "needs improvement" area for Traeger.

John S.

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I placed a FB Ambient Probe next to the Traeger grill Probe and Found that the two can be off by a significant value and there is a Temperature Gradient right to Left on the unit. That said I wholeheartedly agree with RemE, in that you need something like a FB to know the Temp of the food that you are preparing. You should also frequently calibrate the Traeger Food probe to get even semi-accurate measurements....
When setting up your Grill (each will be unique) you need to build a Temperature Map so you know what to set the Grill to to get the Temp that you want...

Latest Discussions