Pro 575- Not updating

Ploetietoe

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I'm new to Traeger and I'm already having the issues described here. I've heard so many variations on how to make sure the grill will get updates and various steps needed to ensure connectivity is solid on the app. I just have a few questions for anyone that may know.

1. What does "on" mean in the context of keeping the grill on to get auto updated? I've seen some people say just leave the power switch on, but don't turn on the controller. Others have said leave the grill in "idle" mode which is when the controller is on and waiting for a temp to be set.
  2. If my app and grill are connecting perfectly, does this mean that the updates will be able to install when they're ready? If so, are there any further steps on my part or do I simply leave the grill on and be patient?
  3. Is there any way to know an update is happening? Status on the screen? In the app? A completion message?
Before learning about the supposed pause on the latest update, I just assumed that pairing the grill would grab the update. Interestingly, when I do a deletion/re-pair, the controller does say "Checking for updates" and then "Downloading updates" but then after about 15 seconds, goes right back to the wifi status page in the menu. No other messages and certainly no firmware update applied.

I feel like I've tried everything to get this to work...power cycling the grill and phone, delete/re-pair, leaving the grill on (and connected) for upwards of 2 weeks, factory reset, delete and reinstalling the app and finally calling customer support. They basically told me that if the grill is being seen in the app, there's "nothing wrong" and told me to keep waiting for an auto update.

I don't mind waiting, but I didn't want to wait past my return date for Home Depot just in case there was a defect that Traeger doesn't seem to want to fix.
dunawayfamily, thanks you for your kind support. Maybe you should apply for a job with Traeger support? ;-)

In addition to ledfrog's questions there is still one thing which is not clear to me; does the grill need a strong Wifi signal (better than -50 dBm) in order to receive updates? I remember reading about this somewhere. The Wifi signal in my backyard is a bit weak (but good enough to connect to the grill with the app) so I placed the grill indoors in order to receive the update.

ledfrog

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
In addition to ledfrog's questions there is still one thing which is not clear to me; does the grill need a strong Wifi signal (better than -50 dBm) in order to receive updates? I remember reading about this somewhere. The Wifi signal in my backyard is a bit weak (but good enough to connect to the grill with the app) so I placed the grill indoors in order to receive the update.
I too have heard this, so I decided not to take any chances. I ran a temporary CAT6 cable out to my garage directly from my router and hooked up a spare 2.4GHz access point. It is currently sitting right on top of my grill's hopper! The wireless strength is as good as it's going to get...I just hope the update comes sooner rather than later.

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
dunawayfamily, thanks you for your kind support. Maybe you should apply for a job with Traeger support? ;-)

Depending on the placement of my IoT-device Router / Wireless Access Point relative to the position of the WiFIRE Controller on the back porch, my signal strength will vary from Fair (-67dBm) to Poor (-72dBm) as displayed in the App ... I do not have any issues monitoring / controlling the grill ...

I do believe they put a programmatic requirement that the signal be in the Fair -> Good -> Excellent range when running through the setup process, else you get the message to add a Wi-Fi Extender ... I know I see the message regarding the Wi-Fi Extender when the signal is showing as Fair, but it still allows me to finish the setup process ... at the end of the setup process, as it checks-in via the Traeger Cloud back-end, you will see the messages Checking for updates, Downloading updates, etc., so during the setup process, if the WiFIRE Controller is going to be "updated", the ability to update follows the same prescribed requirements as the setup process ... receiving updates outside of the setup process is something I haven't been able to monitor in real time, but when my PRO 780 received the May Updates on May 19th, the signal strength was reporting back in the Good range ...

I can run some tests on this later today (I have a 50 ft. network cable available to move the IoT-device Router / Wireless Access Point around to do testing of signal strength) ... will report back ...

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
I too have heard this, so I decided not to take any chances. I ran a temporary CAT6 cable out to my garage directly from my router and hooked up a spare 2.4GHz access point. It is currently sitting right on top of my grill's hopper! The wireless strength is as good as it's going to get...I just hope the update comes sooner rather than later.
The WiFIRE Status Page (https://www.traegergrills.com/status) was updated sometime early on May 19th, which aligned to when the May Updates starting being installed on WiFIRE Controllers - the page lists May 18th as when it was released, but that is typical in the Development World (there is some time lag from the point things are finalized/approved/released before they actually are viewable, or begin being delivered to the end points) ...

I check the WiFIRE Status Page multiple times a day as I am running through my open tabs in my browser to see if any changes have been posted ... This was the first release since I started monitoring this page in late-February where the documentation was made available at/near the same time that the updates were "flowing" ... prior to that it was days/weeks in arrears, and/or filled with partial data & inaccurate information ... Hoping this points to the fact that there is progress being made within Traeger relative to managing themselves as an IoT company versus accurate/timely information being an afterthought ...

If this does hold true, than within a 24 Hour period of release, the WiFIRE Status Page should be updated to reflect that the updates are actively being PUSHed out again ... with the assumption that version numbers will be reflective of the fixes (Firmware for certain ... Config Version is an unknown) ... so I continue to monitor the page multiple times per day to see when they've pulled the trigger :) ...

OP
OP
D

DrewL

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Anyone betting on a "Father's Day Update" for everyone getting the grills $100 off?:p

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Anyone betting on a "Father's Day Update" for everyone getting the grills $100 off?:p
LoL ... If it is an uneventful "update", that would be great ... but given that January and May both had negative fallout for a subset of owners ... that seems "risky" ... and then we've got July 4th right around the corner ... so waiting until the normal release window (2nd/3rd Week of July) seems more prudent ... we need Vega$ odds ...

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
yes I did rename my 2.4 ghz “happy gilmore” still no luck.
Rename your Traeger as well and start from scratch, that worked for me. I don't know if this is causing the problem but apparently the Traeger remembers all the info under the name you gave it.

gsholz

Reaction score
Grill
575 Pro
Purchased a Pro 575 last weekend and was frustrated by the Wifire connectivity issues. Here is how I solved them.

My Wifi issues were caused by having the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz home network access points named identical. The Traeger app would find the grill, configure it to use the home network and then lose connection to the grill when switching back to the home network. Problem was my Iphone switches to the 5GHz access point by default when reconnecting to the home network instead of back to the 2.4 GHz where it could find the newly configured grill. Error message was misleading "Wifi too weak".

I had to go into my home network and rename the 5GHz Wifi access point and then connect to the 2.4GHz access point. Now the Traeger app was able to find the configured grill and it started downloading updates. Has worked ever since. It upgraded to SW version 02.00.01 and Config version 04.012.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I was told by CS that it would happen at the end of the week for that past 5 or so weeks. So probably the end of this week!! Sometime between now and the end of the world. LOL

Hayden Slats

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
For what it's worth: I just got off of the phone with a Traeger customer support rep. He acknowledged the issues they've been having and told me that the Firmware/config version updates will be pushed out by the end of this month. He went so far as to say, he also had a Pro 575 and was experiencing the same issues.

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
For what it's worth: I just got off of the phone with a Traeger customer support rep. He acknowledged the issues they've been having and told me that the Firmware/config version updates will be pushed out by the end of this month. He went so far as to say, he also had a Pro 575 and was experiencing the same issues.
They better have "high" confidence that these updates will not cause other issues prior to the 4th of July Weekend ... else they will be 3-for-4 releasing buggy Firmware & Config Versions right before a holiday/major "event" ... (January = Super Bowl ... March was uneventful ... May = Memorial Day Weekend) ...

ThrillinAndGrillin

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Thanks for this thread and the informative responses from @dunawayfamily and others.
I bought a Timberline 1300 on Father's Day and thought it was weird that the firmware/config didn't update to current levels during setup.

I started a thread on Reddit, RE: Ignition Duration and also Firmware Updates. I am stuck on Firmware 02.00.01 (RELEASED 3/27/18) and Config Version 07.004 (RELEASED 11/8/19). I noticed on Traeger's site, that there was slightly newer firmware:

• 02.01.00 - (RELEASED 3/24/20)
  • 1 - Updates to cloud connectivity to improve response time between grill and app
  • 2 - Improved ignition performance

I was hoping to realize #2 - as my ignition duration was kind of surprising (15-20+ minutes), despite having good pellets and a clean grill.

I guess I just need to wait for weeks on end for this thing to get an update pushed?

harrietthespy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi all,

I'm from The Netherlands and recently purchased a Pro575 grill. Very happy with the unit but I was not able to receive the most recent firmware and config versions. I placed the grill inside next to my router for a couple of days but nothing.

I just found the message from dunawayfamily explaining the firmware is "on hold" due to a bug. Does anyone have an indication when the fixed firmware will be available?
I am in the same boat. I live in Amsterdam and cannot connect to wifi and cannot get my smoker to reach a temperature that actually cooks. I have it set to F and not C so I can get to 200 degrees and cannot go any higher! The smoker display says 450 but the internal temperature is only 200.

Hayden Slats

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I am in the same boat. I live in Amsterdam and cannot connect to wifi and cannot get my smoker to reach a temperature that actually cooks. I have it set to F and not C so I can get to 200 degrees and cannot go any higher! The smoker display says 450 but the internal temperature is only 200.
I spoke with a Traeger rep on Monday and was told the new firmware would be available by the end of this month. No promises from me though!

harrietthespy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Have now found out that my 575 has a software version of 01.00.10 which is so old that it cannot connect to the internet and thus cannot update to a more recent version. They are going to send me a new controller that has the latest software already loaded.

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Anyone aware of Traeger releasing a new Firmware/Config update end of June?
Did not happen - Traeger's release cadence since November 2019 has been approximately every 60 days ... if that holds true for the upcoming update, you can expect the release to happen the 2nd/3rd Week of July ... Monitor the WiFIRE Status Page (https://www.traegergrills.com/status) for updates ...

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Have now found out that my 575 has a software version of 01.00.10 which is so old that it cannot connect to the internet and thus cannot update to a more recent version. They are going to send me a new controller that has the latest software already loaded.
Yep - anything prior to version 2.00.00 was officially deprecated as obsolete/vintage in May 2020 and requires a replacement controller ... plenty of posts up here outlining this issue

Latest Discussions