Pro 575- Not updating

I too have been "blown off" by Traeger. I called the customer support line a week ago yesterday to discuss the issues that I'm having with my Pro 575 (not updating). I was told the issue would need to be escalated, they asked for my email address and stated that I should expect an email response within 48 hours. I haven't heard from anyone yet.

I have read several posts stating that people have been able to send emails to Traeger customer support. I have sent emails to [email protected] and [email protected] and they have both come back with an auto generated reply saying this email address is not monitored and that I should call their customer support phone number. Does someone in this forum have a known good email address?

Regarding the Traeger WIFIRE status page:
The release log does show that firmware version 02.01.02 and config version 04.016 was released on 5/18/20 however the status page also shows that 02.01.01 is the current firmware version. To me, this indicates that although 02.01.02 was released it no longer is being pushed out by Traeger and they consider 02.01.01 to be the current version until another update is released.

To make a short story long, I think that the moral of the story is to accept that Traeger is overwhelmed right now with this issue and we should all sit tight for a reasonable amount of time (what that means will be different to everyone). In the meantime, my grill is still functional, I just can't get to 500° with my current firmware. I'll give it another week or two and then I'll rattle their cage again.

I found that using "I do not have a QR code" and entering everything manually helped. I also found that if my wifi SSID was not broadcasting it didnt give me the option to select it from the list of wifi to retry. I setup a guest wifi on my router and setup visible broadcasting. It fails the first time then allows me to select it from the available wifi list. The 2nd time always connects for me. So far I've had no more issues.

I called support yesterday and they said the push for updates was resumed on June 3rd

I too have been "blown off" by Traeger. I called the customer support line a week ago yesterday to discuss the issues that I'm having with my Pro 575 (not updating). I was told the issue would need to be escalated, they asked for my email address and stated that I should expect an email response within 48 hours. I haven't heard from anyone yet.

I have read several posts stating that people have been able to send emails to Traeger customer support. I have sent emails to [email protected] and [email protected] and they have both come back with an auto generated reply saying this email address is not monitored and that I should call their customer support phone number. Does someone in this forum have a known good email address?

The release log does show that firmware version 02.01.02 and config version 04.016 was released on 5/18/20 however the status page also shows that 02.01.01 is the current firmware version. To me, this indicates that although 02.01.02 was released it no longer is being pushed out by Traeger and they consider 02.01.01 to be the current version until another update is released.

To make a short story long, I think that the moral of the story is to accept that Traeger is overwhelmed right now with this issue and we should all sit tight for a reasonable amount of time (what that means will be different to everyone). In the meantime, my grill is still functional, I just can't get to 500° with my current firmware. I'll give it another week or two and then I'll rattle their cage again.

With regards to the Firmware Update versions - that is bad documentation on that web page - it has been showing 2.01.01 all along, even on May 18th-27th when the newer updates were being PUSH'd ...

In all honesty - everyone needs to lower their expectations with regards to Traeger Support relative to receiving consistent/accurate information via the phone when speaking with the Customer Service reps and relying on the pages on their website being accurate ... that's just the current reality, especially given that they are using an outsource partner to handle the influx of calls ...

I found that using "I do not have a QR code" and entering everything manually helped. I also found that if my wifi SSID was not broadcasting it didnt give me the option to select it from the list of wifi to retry. I setup a guest wifi on my router and setup visible broadcasting. It fails the first time then allows me to select it from the available wifi list. The 2nd time always connects for me. So far I've had no more issues.

I called support yesterday and they said the push for updates was resumed on June 3rd

The person you spoke with was wrong ... if a WiFIRE Controller is running something less than 02.00.01, they will get updated to that version, but the upgrade to 02.01.02 (or later) has not been resumed ...

Firmware does not provide 500 degrees ... the Config Version file contains that data (Feature updates / additions) ... for a PRO 575, that means you need to be running Config Version 04.015, or later, to reach 500 degrees ... there are plenty of WiFIRE Controllers out there running 02.00.01 | 04.015 that are capable of selecting 500 degrees ...

It has been notated here before that both of those email address are returning AutoResponses as "unmonitored" ... the 3rd option is [email protected], as that is the email address they provide to disgruntled reviewers of a product to reach out for further assistance ... unsure if that one is actively being monitored ...

I'm new to Traeger and I'm already having the issues described here. I've heard so many variations on how to make sure the grill will get updates and various steps needed to ensure connectivity is solid on the app. I just have a few questions for anyone that may know.

1. What does "on" mean in the context of keeping the grill on to get auto updated? I've seen some people say just leave the power switch on, but don't turn on the controller. Others have said leave the grill in "idle" mode which is when the controller is on and waiting for a temp to be set.
  2. If my app and grill are connecting perfectly, does this mean that the updates will be able to install when they're ready? If so, are there any further steps on my part or do I simply leave the grill on and be patient?
  3. Is there any way to know an update is happening? Status on the screen? In the app? A completion message?
Before learning about the supposed pause on the latest update, I just assumed that pairing the grill would grab the update. Interestingly, when I do a deletion/re-pair, the controller does say "Checking for updates" and then "Downloading updates" but then after about 15 seconds, goes right back to the wifi status page in the menu. No other messages and certainly no firmware update applied.

I feel like I've tried everything to get this to work...power cycling the grill and phone, delete/re-pair, leaving the grill on (and connected) for upwards of 2 weeks, factory reset, delete and reinstalling the app and finally calling customer support. They basically told me that if the grill is being seen in the app, there's "nothing wrong" and told me to keep waiting for an auto update.

I don't mind waiting, but I didn't want to wait past my return date for Home Depot just in case there was a defect that Traeger doesn't seem to want to fix.

I'm new to Traeger and I'm already having the issues described here. I've heard so many variations on how to make sure the grill will get updates and various steps needed to ensure connectivity is solid on the app. I just have a few questions for anyone that may know.

1. What does "on" mean in the context of keeping the grill on to get auto updated? I've seen some people say just leave the power switch on, but don't turn on the controller. Others have said leave the grill in "idle" mode which is when the controller is on and waiting for a temp to be set.
  2. If my app and grill are connecting perfectly, does this mean that the updates will be able to install when they're ready? If so, are there any further steps on my part or do I simply leave the grill on and be patient?
  3. Is there any way to know an update is happening? Status on the screen? In the app? A completion message?
Before learning about the supposed pause on the latest update, I just assumed that pairing the grill would grab the update. Interestingly, when I do a deletion/re-pair, the controller does say "Checking for updates" and then "Downloading updates" but then after about 15 seconds, goes right back to the wifi status page in the menu. No other messages and certainly no firmware update applied.

I feel like I've tried everything to get this to work...power cycling the grill and phone, delete/re-pair, leaving the grill on (and connected) for upwards of 2 weeks, factory reset, delete and reinstalling the app and finally calling customer support. They basically told me that if the grill is being seen in the app, there's "nothing wrong" and told me to keep waiting for an auto update.

I don't mind waiting, but I didn't want to wait past my return date for Home Depot just in case there was a defect that Traeger doesn't seem to want to fix.

The May Update releases are most definitely "on hold" pending a programmatic "fix" from Traeger ... the May Updates were available for download May 19th-27th before the "hold" was put in place, due to the subset of WiFIRE Controllers unexpectedly shutting down after applying the updates and Traeger Support being inundated with angry customers after the Memorial Day weekend ...

ON = powered on ... the WiFIRE Controller state is irrelevant - it can be in Sleep Mode, sitting in Idle, or in an active grill session for communications to occur from the Traeger Cloud back-end down to the WiFIRE Controller ...

If you have successfully connected the WiFIRE Controller to your Home Wi-Fi Network, assuming your Grill UUID value is registered with the Traeger Cloud back-end, you should be good to go ... the only caveats being if your WiFIRE Controller has corrupted Firmware and will not update when there are available updates actively being PUSH'd down from the Traeger Cloud, or your Grill UUID value is not populated on the Traeger Cloud - both of these scenarios are rare ...

The update is a 2-step process ... Firmware first ... then 12-24 Hours later, the Config Version update will be applied ... you need to leave the WiFIRE Controller powered on for 24-48 Hours for both to get installed, assuming the Traeger Cloud is actively PUSHing down updates ...

There are 3 phases for updates, each will be displayed on the WiFIRE Controller: Checking for updates, Downloading updates, Applying updates ... the App provides zero feedback on this process as the update process is a PUSH from the Traeger Cloud back-end directly to the WiFIRE Controller ... the only way to verify an "update" has been installed is to look at About Grill on the WiFIRE Controller Display, or via the App ...

EDIT: The Checking for updates & Downloading updates messages on the WiFIRE Controller display will happen anytime the WiFIRE Controller has been Factory Reset ... they clear the screen in a very short amount of time as the controller verifies it has the latest "available" Firmware & Config Version files already installed ...

Last edited:
If you have successfully connected the WiFIRE Controller to your Home Wi-Fi Network, assuming your Grill UUID value is registered with the Traeger Cloud back-end, you should be good to go ... the only caveats being if your WiFIRE Controller has corrupted Firmware and will not update when there are available updates actively being PUSH'd down from the Traeger Cloud, or your Grill UUID value is not populated on the Traeger Cloud - both of these scenarios are rare ...

The update is a 2-step process ... Firmware first ... then 12-24 Hours later, the Config Version update will be applied ... you need to leave the WiFIRE Controller powered on for 24-48 Hours for both to get installed, assuming the Traeger Cloud is actively PUSHing down updates ...

There are 3 phases for updates, each will be displayed on the WiFIRE Controller: Checking for updates, Downloading updates, Applying updates ... the App provides zero feedback on this process as the update process is a PUSH from the Traeger Cloud back-end directly to the WiFIRE Controller ... the only way to verify an "update" has been installed is to look at About Grill on the WiFIRE Controller Display, or via the App ...

Thanks for this! But now I'm curious, is there any way to determine if my UUID has been registered with Traeger? As I mentioned, when I forget the network settings and re-pair, I do see the grill check for updates, download and apply even though the version never changes. Do these steps at least provide some verification that my grill can at least communicate with the cloud and that it's registered?

I've seen other users talking about invalid certificate and failed download messages, so I'm hoping that since my grill hasn't had any of these issues, it's at least working as intended, but is now just waiting for Traeger to release the new version. I wish customer service could have told me these things...all they did was had me try all the troubleshooting I've already been doing for over 2 weeks now. :(

Thanks for this! But now I'm curious, is there any way to determine if my UUID has been registered with Traeger? As I mentioned, when I forget the network settings and re-pair, I do see the grill check for updates, download and apply even though the version never changes. Do these steps at least provide some verification that my grill can at least communicate with the cloud and that it's registered?

I've seen other users talking about invalid certificate and failed download messages, so I'm hoping that since my grill hasn't had any of these issues, it's at least working as intended, but is now just waiting for Traeger to release the new version. I wish customer service could have told me these things...all they did was had me try all the troubleshooting I've already been doing for over 2 weeks now. :(

This is the "manual" method for registering - https://www.traegergrills.com/register-grill - but I agree that if your grill is going through the motions of Check for updates and Download updates, that your Grill UUID should be registered as needed ... and you're in the holding pattern waiting for the PUSH updates to be restarted ...

The Error Provisioning grill "Failed to download certificates" issue required running through the WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard and doing a Factory Reset ... this was a common troubleshooting step when the WiFIRE Controllers were at Firmware version 2.00.00 or earlier (January 2020 Updates and prior) ... in a subset of those impacted controllers, Traeger had to send out a replacement controller to get WiFIRE connected and working as expected ...

Traeger Customer Service is hit-and-miss ... if you get a Traeger FTE, it usually is a good experience ... but with the increase in sales and the corresponding increase in Customer Service issues (many due to the challenges with getting WiFIRE setup), they have added on an outsource partner who seems to be reading from a script ... all of the job postings for that outsource partner were for Traeger last I checked ...

Last edited:
The May Update releases are most definitely "on hold" pending a programmatic "fix" from Traeger ... the May Updates were available for download May 19th-27th before the "hold" was put in place, due to the subset of WiFIRE Controllers unexpectedly shutting down after applying the updates and Traeger Support being inundated with angry customers after the Memorial Day weekend ...

ON = powered on ... the WiFIRE Controller state is irrelevant - it can be in Sleep Mode, sitting in Idle, or in an active grill session for communications to occur from the Traeger Cloud back-end down to the WiFIRE Controller ...

EDIT: The Checking for updates & Downloading updates messages on the WiFIRE Controller display will happen anytime the WiFIRE Controller has been Factory Reset ... they clear the screen in a very short amount of time as the controller verifies it has the latest "available" Firmware & Config Version files already installed ...
Very helpful, thank you!

dunawayfamily, thanks you for your kind support. Maybe you should apply for a job with Traeger support? ;-)

In addition to ledfrog's questions there is still one thing which is not clear to me; does the grill need a strong Wifi signal (better than -50 dBm) in order to receive updates? I remember reading about this somewhere. The Wifi signal in my backyard is a bit weak (but good enough to connect to the grill with the app) so I placed the grill indoors in order to receive the update.

In addition to ledfrog's questions there is still one thing which is not clear to me; does the grill need a strong Wifi signal (better than -50 dBm) in order to receive updates? I remember reading about this somewhere. The Wifi signal in my backyard is a bit weak (but good enough to connect to the grill with the app) so I placed the grill indoors in order to receive the update.

I too have heard this, so I decided not to take any chances. I ran a temporary CAT6 cable out to my garage directly from my router and hooked up a spare 2.4GHz access point. It is currently sitting right on top of my grill's hopper! The wireless strength is as good as it's going to get...I just hope the update comes sooner rather than later.

dunawayfamily, thanks you for your kind support. Maybe you should apply for a job with Traeger support? ;-)

Depending on the placement of my IoT-device Router / Wireless Access Point relative to the position of the WiFIRE Controller on the back porch, my signal strength will vary from Fair (-67dBm) to Poor (-72dBm) as displayed in the App ... I do not have any issues monitoring / controlling the grill ...

I do believe they put a programmatic requirement that the signal be in the Fair -> Good -> Excellent range when running through the setup process, else you get the message to add a Wi-Fi Extender ... I know I see the message regarding the Wi-Fi Extender when the signal is showing as Fair, but it still allows me to finish the setup process ... at the end of the setup process, as it checks-in via the Traeger Cloud back-end, you will see the messages Checking for updates, Downloading updates, etc., so during the setup process, if the WiFIRE Controller is going to be "updated", the ability to update follows the same prescribed requirements as the setup process ... receiving updates outside of the setup process is something I haven't been able to monitor in real time, but when my PRO 780 received the May Updates on May 19th, the signal strength was reporting back in the Good range ...

I can run some tests on this later today (I have a 50 ft. network cable available to move the IoT-device Router / Wireless Access Point around to do testing of signal strength) ... will report back ...

I too have heard this, so I decided not to take any chances. I ran a temporary CAT6 cable out to my garage directly from my router and hooked up a spare 2.4GHz access point. It is currently sitting right on top of my grill's hopper! The wireless strength is as good as it's going to get...I just hope the update comes sooner rather than later.

The WiFIRE Status Page (https://www.traegergrills.com/status) was updated sometime early on May 19th, which aligned to when the May Updates starting being installed on WiFIRE Controllers - the page lists May 18th as when it was released, but that is typical in the Development World (there is some time lag from the point things are finalized/approved/released before they actually are viewable, or begin being delivered to the end points) ...

I check the WiFIRE Status Page multiple times a day as I am running through my open tabs in my browser to see if any changes have been posted ... This was the first release since I started monitoring this page in late-February where the documentation was made available at/near the same time that the updates were "flowing" ... prior to that it was days/weeks in arrears, and/or filled with partial data & inaccurate information ... Hoping this points to the fact that there is progress being made within Traeger relative to managing themselves as an IoT company versus accurate/timely information being an afterthought ...

If this does hold true, than within a 24 Hour period of release, the WiFIRE Status Page should be updated to reflect that the updates are actively being PUSHed out again ... with the assumption that version numbers will be reflective of the fixes (Firmware for certain ... Config Version is an unknown) ... so I continue to monitor the page multiple times per day to see when they've pulled the trigger :) ...

Anyone betting on a "Father's Day Update" for everyone getting the grills $100 off?:p

Latest Discussions

Back