Old bay seasoning

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Im considering doing a Traeger Cajun broil in the next few weeks. It calls for Old Bay seasoning. Has anyone used this before? Is it real spicy?
Any other toned down suggestions for seasoning would be great also.

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300, Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis
Nice one to spice to boil with shrimp, lobster and especially Maryland blue crab.

Never smoked with it though. Be interested in how it turns out.

One world of caution is a small number of people really do not like old bay.

Last edited:

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS
Old Bay as far as I remember is not too spicy, the amount of cayenne pepper is very little... they don't even label it so it may be none.

OP
OP
Timmy

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Old Bay as far as I remember is not too spicy, the amount of cayenne pepper is very little... they don't even label it so it may be none.
Good to know, im gonna pick some up today so i can taste it.

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill

RustyJake

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I like the spice. I don't use it that much, mainly because I forget i have it. Lots of recipes call for it so I made sure it was always in the house

Rex

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Im considering doing a Traeger Cajun broil in the next few weeks. It calls for Old Bay seasoning. Has anyone used this before? Is it real spicy?
I suppose it depends on what you define as "spicy." For me, spicy = the seasoning stands out (not necessarily "hot.") I do quite a bit of cajun/creole cooking (not smoking,) but really only use Old Bay when my Chesapeake-area wife is craving a taste of home (e.g steamed crabs and such.)

Anyway, Old Bay is a unique seasoning, but I wouldn't qualify it as hot/spicy.

OP
OP
Timmy

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
I suppose it depends on what you define as "spicy." For me, spicy = the seasoning stands out (not necessarily "hot.") I do quite a bit of cajun/creole cooking (not smoking,) but really only use Old Bay when my Chesapeake-area wife is craving a taste of home (e.g steamed crabs and such.)

Anyway, Old Bay is a unique seasoning, but I wouldn't qualify it as hot/spicy.
Thanks, ive never even heard of it so wasn't sure if it was spice at all.

Rob1989

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Old bay is definitely not spicy and you are talking to someone who is a weenie when it comes to spicy foods.

bfletcher

Reaction score
Grill
I 885
I almost always add a liberal amount of Old Bay when frying store-packaged 80/20 ground beef in hopes of adding a hint of flavor. For how I use it, I don't distinguish much of an impact.

OP
OP
Timmy

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Ok, we fixed home made chicken strips in the oven. I did 3 strips like you would shake and bake with the Old Bay. They were very very spicy BUT i would consider them wayyyy over seasoned. If sprinkled i think it will be just fine. Spices for heat in it is pepper and red pepper so the isnt anything real hot.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
If you use it in that Cajun broil i think it will be just fine and it'll be what it's intended to be for... Lots of spices on chicken tend to be stronger than a spice you would 'mix in' a soup or creole

TedD

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton TFS62G
Old Bay is not spicy hot. I love it sprinkled on all seafood! Also great for steaming and boiling.

Rossco

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood
I find Old Bay a touch more spicy than Lawry's season salt. My son lives in Baltimore and they put the stuff on everything. Chips, wings, crab, dip. Good luck.

TedD

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton TFS62G
I find Old Bay a touch more spicy than Lawry's season salt. My son lives in Baltimore and they put the stuff on everything. Chips, wings, crab, dip. Good luck.
Funny you say that as I discovered it when I moved to Baltimore in 1983. At that time they were still making Old Bay adjacent to the inner harbor. That whole area smelled like Old Bay yearound. Loved it and been eating ever since.

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
My wife is not a fan of any spice or blend of spices with anything other than a very mild heat index. One of the best blends I have found, for fish, pork, lamb, potatoes, veggies, or anything that needs a burst of garlicky savory flavor is McCormicks Roasted Garlic and Herb blend. Lots and lots of flavor with zip heat. For fish, scallops, shrimp, lobster, and such I add some Spanish Smoked paprika and fresh lemon zest.

Slimpicker

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Did you do that Cajun broil yet??? I guess not cuz of your snow.... I'm not having any of your winter down here at all, in fact it's pissin me off really, everything is gonna be worst if we don't get a good super freeze or cold snap...

OP
OP
Timmy

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
No, i was going to do it this weekend or next. Looks like its gonna be next weekend. I didn't get to the store, been a busy hectic week.

Latest Discussions