Old bay seasoning

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER #traegergameday Wins 2022/2024
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Im considering doing a Traeger Cajun broil in the next few weeks. It calls for Old Bay seasoning. Has anyone used this before? Is it real spicy?
Any other toned down suggestions for seasoning would be great also.

Nice one to spice to boil with shrimp, lobster and especially Maryland blue crab.

Never smoked with it though. Be interested in how it turns out.

One world of caution is a small number of people really do not like old bay.

Last edited:
Old Bay as far as I remember is not too spicy, the amount of cayenne pepper is very little... they don't even label it so it may be none.

Old Bay as far as I remember is not too spicy, the amount of cayenne pepper is very little... they don't even label it so it may be none.
Good to know, im gonna pick some up today so i can taste it.

I like the spice. I don't use it that much, mainly because I forget i have it. Lots of recipes call for it so I made sure it was always in the house

Im considering doing a Traeger Cajun broil in the next few weeks. It calls for Old Bay seasoning. Has anyone used this before? Is it real spicy?
I suppose it depends on what you define as "spicy." For me, spicy = the seasoning stands out (not necessarily "hot.") I do quite a bit of cajun/creole cooking (not smoking,) but really only use Old Bay when my Chesapeake-area wife is craving a taste of home (e.g steamed crabs and such.)

Anyway, Old Bay is a unique seasoning, but I wouldn't qualify it as hot/spicy.

I suppose it depends on what you define as "spicy." For me, spicy = the seasoning stands out (not necessarily "hot.") I do quite a bit of cajun/creole cooking (not smoking,) but really only use Old Bay when my Chesapeake-area wife is craving a taste of home (e.g steamed crabs and such.)

Anyway, Old Bay is a unique seasoning, but I wouldn't qualify it as hot/spicy.
Thanks, ive never even heard of it so wasn't sure if it was spice at all.

Old bay is definitely not spicy and you are talking to someone who is a weenie when it comes to spicy foods.

I almost always add a liberal amount of Old Bay when frying store-packaged 80/20 ground beef in hopes of adding a hint of flavor. For how I use it, I don't distinguish much of an impact.

Ok, we fixed home made chicken strips in the oven. I did 3 strips like you would shake and bake with the Old Bay. They were very very spicy BUT i would consider them wayyyy over seasoned. If sprinkled i think it will be just fine. Spices for heat in it is pepper and red pepper so the isnt anything real hot.

Thanks everyone for the input!

If you use it in that Cajun broil i think it will be just fine and it'll be what it's intended to be for... Lots of spices on chicken tend to be stronger than a spice you would 'mix in' a soup or creole

Old Bay is not spicy hot. I love it sprinkled on all seafood! Also great for steaming and boiling.

I find Old Bay a touch more spicy than Lawry's season salt. My son lives in Baltimore and they put the stuff on everything. Chips, wings, crab, dip. Good luck.

Back