Pellets New Kingsford Pellets

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I just picked up a bag of Kingsofrd Signature (Cherry, Hickory, and Maple) Wood Pellets. I'm hoping to get a chance to try them out this weekend. Has anyone tried these yet? How do they compare to the other brands?

kingsford-pellets.jpeg

Walleye Hunter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I have only tried a couple of different brands of pellets and there must be something wrong with me as I don't notice a big enough difference to go with anything but the cheapest that I get in my area. We have a local company named Kingdom Biofuels, who makes pellets for smokers and pellet stoves. I get a 40lb bag of hardwood stove pellets for $6.50 and see no reason to use anything else. Though I do use some hickory pellets just to see if other people notice a difference and so far the cheapest pellets work fine.

BA_Ga

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 34
... I get a 40lb bag of hardwood stove pellets for $6.50 and see no reason to use anything else. ...
I'm kinda new to the pellet grill world, but I've see lots of warnings NOT to use stove pellets in a smoker due to the binders used in them that are dangerous for humans.

Walleye Hunter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I'm kinda new to the pellet grill world, but I've see lots of warnings NOT to use stove pellets in a smoker due to the binders used in them that are dangerous for humans.
I do not know if some use binders but I have found a manufacturer who does not and they also make grill pellets. There is no such thing as a 'food grade' pellet despite what grill pellet pressers try to tell you. The USDA has no guidelines regarding them. Furthermore, in CN they have restrictions against adding fillers of any kind into their pellets.

BA_Ga

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 34
... There is no such thing as a 'food grade' pellet despite what grill pellet pressers try to tell you. The USDA has no guidelines regarding them. ...
This from one pellet manufacturer:
"Heating pellets (or pellets used in wood-burning stoves) can be made from wood that isn’t meant for smoking meat. Woods like pine or spruce can ruin the flavor of your food."

Walleye Hunter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
This from one pellet manufacturer:
"Heating pellets (or pellets used in wood-burning stoves) can be made from wood that isn’t meant for smoking meat. Woods like pine or spruce can ruin the flavor of your food."
I don't doubt that but pine and spruce are not hardwoods and won't be found in quality hardwood pellets. I don't make or sell pellets and it doesn't matter to me if you don't believe what I have found after research.

BA_Ga

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 34
I don't doubt that but pine and spruce are not hardwoods and won't be found in quality hardwood pellets. I don't make or sell pellets and it doesn't matter to me if you don't believe what I have found after research.
I'm concerned that someone might take your "information'" literally, go out and buy a bag of stove pellets, and make people sick from the result. If you have found a manufacturer that you trust, then go for it.