Pellets New Kingsford Pellets

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
I just picked up a bag of Kingsofrd Signature (Cherry, Hickory, and Maple) Wood Pellets. I'm hoping to get a chance to try them out this weekend. Has anyone tried these yet? How do they compare to the other brands?

kingsford-pellets.jpeg

I have only tried a couple of different brands of pellets and there must be something wrong with me as I don't notice a big enough difference to go with anything but the cheapest that I get in my area. We have a local company named Kingdom Biofuels, who makes pellets for smokers and pellet stoves. I get a 40lb bag of hardwood stove pellets for $6.50 and see no reason to use anything else. Though I do use some hickory pellets just to see if other people notice a difference and so far the cheapest pellets work fine.

... I get a 40lb bag of hardwood stove pellets for $6.50 and see no reason to use anything else. ...
I'm kinda new to the pellet grill world, but I've see lots of warnings NOT to use stove pellets in a smoker due to the binders used in them that are dangerous for humans.

I'm kinda new to the pellet grill world, but I've see lots of warnings NOT to use stove pellets in a smoker due to the binders used in them that are dangerous for humans.
I do not know if some use binders but I have found a manufacturer who does not and they also make grill pellets. There is no such thing as a 'food grade' pellet despite what grill pellet pressers try to tell you. The USDA has no guidelines regarding them. Furthermore, in CN they have restrictions against adding fillers of any kind into their pellets.

... There is no such thing as a 'food grade' pellet despite what grill pellet pressers try to tell you. The USDA has no guidelines regarding them. ...
This from one pellet manufacturer:
"Heating pellets (or pellets used in wood-burning stoves) can be made from wood that isn’t meant for smoking meat. Woods like pine or spruce can ruin the flavor of your food."

This from one pellet manufacturer:
"Heating pellets (or pellets used in wood-burning stoves) can be made from wood that isn’t meant for smoking meat. Woods like pine or spruce can ruin the flavor of your food."
I don't doubt that but pine and spruce are not hardwoods and won't be found in quality hardwood pellets. I don't make or sell pellets and it doesn't matter to me if you don't believe what I have found after research.

I don't doubt that but pine and spruce are not hardwoods and won't be found in quality hardwood pellets. I don't make or sell pellets and it doesn't matter to me if you don't believe what I have found after research.
I'm concerned that someone might take your "information'" literally, go out and buy a bag of stove pellets, and make people sick from the result. If you have found a manufacturer that you trust, then go for it.

So.... Did you try them?

Yes, I used them tonight on Salmon and it was excellent! Here's a comparison of the Kingsford (left) vs Traeger signature pellets (right)

IMG_0776.jpeg

Yes, I used them tonight on Salmon and it was excellent! Here's a comparison of the Kingsford (left) vs Traeger signature pellets (right)
Did you notice any more or less ash from the cook? or burn at a different rate? Less likely to jam an auger by the looks of them!

Will using a pellet other than Traeger void the warranty???

Will using a pellet other than Traeger void the warranty???
They say it will, but how would they know what I put in my hopper? Unless they have a hidden camera in everyone's grill, they couldn't know what we put in it....

I just bought the Same 20lbs bag at Stater Brothers for $12.00. I guess it was ok, I have to compare it to another brand. I just broke in my brand new Bronson 20, so I’m still figuring things out. Traeger is a different animal from Masterbuilt digital smokers.

Latest Discussions

Back