My grill went to sleep mode

I had the same thing happen last week when I was also smoking a brisket. About 6 hours into it my Ironwood 885 went into sleep mode. I was in manual mode too. I was able to get it started again, but it did this about 2 more times before I could finally finish the smoking. This is after I've spent 3 months working with Customer Support on an issue I had with the ignite button not working. It would shut off right after I pushed the ignite button. I've now replaced the Power switch, Temp sensor, fire pot and finally the Control panel, which it was determined to be the issue. I've only used the smoker 3 times prior to that issue.

My Pro 575 went to sleep twice today. I've had it for over two years and this is the first time it ever happened.

Bought a new Timberline 850 and couldn't even get through the seasoning process without it falling asleep on me. Spoke with CS for over 5 hours total over two days and their solution was to replace the hot rod. Did some digging on Reddit and saw a comment about it possibly being a software bug specific to people running the Android app. Their solution was to disconnect the grill from WiFi and run manually.

I disconnected the wifi on the grill and have now smoked two racks of ribs. Total runtime of about 13 hours without it going to sleep. This is after not being able to run it for more than 20 minutes when it was connected. When I sent this update to the traeger CS team via chat they stubbornly refused to acknowledge it's an app/firmware problem. They're insisting it's the hot rod even though it works fine with the one that's in there.

Bought a new Timberline 850 and couldn't even get through the seasoning process without it falling asleep on me. Spoke with CS for over 5 hours total over two days and their solution was to replace the hot rod. Did some digging on Reddit and saw a comment about it possibly being a software bug specific to people running the Android app. Their solution was to disconnect the grill from WiFi and run manually.

I disconnected the wifi on the grill and have now smoked two racks of ribs. Total runtime of about 13 hours without it going to sleep. This is after not being able to run it for more than 20 minutes when it was connected. When I sent this update to the traeger CS team via chat they stubbornly refused to acknowledge it's an app/firmware problem. They're insisting it's the hot rod even though it works fine with the one that's in there.
That might be it. I usually don't use the app but yesterday I connected the temp probe. When I opened the app later to check it's progress it was asleep. I didn't have this problem last year using the app.

That might be it. I usually don't use the app but yesterday I connected the temp probe. When I opened the app later to check it's progress it was asleep. I didn't have this problem last year using the app.
I'm sure there have been multiple firmware/app updates since last year. When you try this report back and let me know if it worked for you. The more people letting Traeger know about this the better, so definitely let their CS team know as well

Update: I used my grill today without the temp probe. I did open the app a few times during the cook to check temperatures. No issues at all. Maybe there's a glitch when using the probe?

Update: I used my grill today without the temp probe. I did open the app a few times during the cook to check temperatures. No issues at all. Maybe there's a glitch when using the probe?
I haven't used the temp probe, so either my theory is wrong or you had a lucky run! Lol... How long did you run it for?

I only used it for about an hour and a half today.

I gave up on my Traeger’s temp probe’s. The ambient probe has been off since new and I gave up trying to calibrate the other probe. I’ve been using MEATER probes. It’s really nice one probe gives the meat temp along with the ambient temp. Several uses and they are spot on every time I check them and no wires to deal with.

My Pro 575 went to sleep twice today. I've had it for over two years and this is the first time it ever happened.
This happened to me on the same grill as you, This thing was running like a swiss watch for 2 years, then i get a new WiFi access point so i have a better connection for my grill. I wipe out the my old WiFi name, link up the new WiFi to the grill, it does it's update gives me newest firmware (02-02-03 i think) and BAM, this thing shuts off 4 times in a 4 hour time period. I KNOW FOR A FACT it's the firmware because I have owned the grill for 2 year and when i called Trager the said "don't worry your cover because your grill is only 2 days old"

??? WHAT???

So they had me go thru some steps and THEY determined that my power switch is bad (bullsh!t). I installed the new switch and ran it for 3-4 hours never shut off BUT>>>>>> I lost control of the grill via the app, wouldn't do anything temp up/down, shut down, nothing. I still don't trust this thing, now that the new firmware is on it. Traeger has turned something that was fun and enjoyable for me to do in to i'm a mechanic and replacing parts on a 2 year old grill that was working just fine until they had and go finger F the firmware and make this thing a useful boobs on a bull.

Might be time to wheel this thing to the end of the curb and buy something better

man i'm DISAPOINTED.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen last week when I was also smoking a brisket. About 6 hours into it my Ironwood 885 went into sleep mode. I was in manual mode too. I was able to get it started again, but it did this about 2 more times before I could finally finish the smoking. This is after I've spent 3 months working with Customer Support on an issue I had with the ignite button not working. It would shut off right after I pushed the ignite button. I've now replaced the Power switch, Temp sensor, fire pot and finally the Control panel, which it was determined to be the issue. I've only used the smoker 3 times prior to that issue.
With all of you people having this issue, starting around the same time... It certainly sounds like a software issue. Trial and error swapping out parts is a desperate attempt on traeger.
"They need to get someone who knows how to trouble shoot" Not part swappers!$$#&^#

My grill went to sleep mode about 6 hours into smoking a brisket, I had just checked it an hour early iré and it was fine. Is this a common issue? How do I know fix it? Thank you.
This is a known issue with the power switch. Call tech support.

I have an Ironwood 885 and today was the second time it has done this. The first time I thought I had inadvertently turned it off with the app. I called and the first person I talked to said he knew exactly what it was and that it was fairly common. At age 75 and arthritis in my knees, I got down and took off the bottom plate and unhooked a wiring harness, waited 10 seconds, and reconnected. It fired back up just as he said. I asked him if that was a long time fix and he replied, "in most cases". He stayed with me for about 30 minutes to make sure it didn't cut off. I was cooking a 9 pound pork butt. It initially cut off after 2 hours. It went about an hour and a half the second time before it cut off. The next person didn't say it was common like the first person did, but knew what to do if plan 1 didn't work. How common is it if you already have a checklist in place of trial and error attempts to correct.

The unit was purchased last September. I also found out that the warranty is only about parts and not labor even in the first of three years. Plan two is replacing the power supply, I will be the labor I guess.

The butt is in the oven.

So much for setting up the Wi-Fi and coming back to take out the finished goods. My unit is kept inside a room within my garage and I have never cooked more than twice without vacuuming it out. I vacuumed this out after last time so it was clean this morning.

Not so happy. Especially when their employees know why you are calling. If they have a problem with parts everyone should get one before they need it.

I asked if it could be a module issue or software and was told no since I have the latest firmware in place.

7 to 11 days for part to come in.

Last edited:
This happened to me on the same grill as you, This thing was running like a swiss watch for 2 years, then i get a new WiFi access point so i have a better connection for my grill. I wipe out the my old WiFi name, link up the new WiFi to the grill, it does it's update gives me newest firmware (02-02-03 i think) and BAM, this thing shuts off 4 times in a 4 hour time period. I KNOW FOR A FACT it's the firmware because I have owned the grill for 2 year and when i called Trager the said "don't worry your cover because your grill is only 2 days old"

??? WHAT???

So they had me go thru some steps and THEY determined that my power switch is bad (bullsh!t). I installed the new switch and ran it for 3-4 hours never shut off BUT>>>>>> I lost control of the grill via the app, wouldn't do anything temp up/down, shut down, nothing. I still don't trust this thing, now that the new firmware is on it. Traeger has turned something that was fun and enjoyable for me to do in to i'm a mechanic and replacing parts on a 2 year old grill that was working just fine until they had and go finger F the firmware and make this thing a useful boobs on a bull.

Might be time to wheel this thing to the end of the curb and buy something better

man i'm DISAPOINTED.
Ditto for me on my 2 year old Silverton 810 that has worked flawless until now. Started smoking a brisket last night at 10:30pm. It went into sleep mode at 2:30 am. I restarted it and it ran fine again until 5:30 am then went into sleep mode again. I had cleaned it good before the cook. Not sure when the software last updated but I'm on firmware version 02.02.03 and config 09.005. I'll call them and see what they say. Wonder if I got a bad power switch or if it is a firmware issue?

Ditto for me on my 2 year old Silverton 810 that has worked flawless until now. Started smoking a brisket last night at 10:30pm. It went into sleep mode at 2:30 am. I restarted it and it ran fine again until 5:30 am then went into sleep mode again. I had cleaned it good before the cook. Not sure when the software last updated but I'm on firmware version 02.02.03 and config 09.005. I'll call them and see what they say. Wonder if I got a bad power switch or if it is a firmware issue?
Update- I called Traeger- (awesome that they answered on Sunday am) They believe it is power switch and are sending a new one. Apparently shutting down mid cook is tell tale sign that switch is going bad. We will see if that fixes problem. Interesting that the tech was able to pull up my grille on-line and see all the cook and shut down history times, temps et...

Latest Discussions

Back