Ironwood Defective Lid

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
If the grill body and the door were formed properly there would be no problem. Traeger are killing themselves with poor customer relations as well as incurring endless costs for bogus fixes and parts shipment. A simple jig would be able to show QC if the Grill body or the door was formed properly. There seems to be no accountability, the buck should stop somewhere but it doesn't. They can build a Junior with the door sealing perfectly, they should be able to do the same with the Ironwood. I just looked at a century wide body at costco today and the door was dead nuts.

The service is by contracted call centres who don't seem to give a rat's behind about fixing anything. Someone eventually will become aware of the cost, they could seek a permanent fix or be true to north american corporate culture and ignore it.

Smart money would gasket the door and be done with it. It would be cheaper for them just to engineer a robust gasket assembly, something more robust than a stick on . If they go cheap it'll just compound the problem.

I spent years as a field engineer for 2 pretty big refrigeration manufacturers and fought this malaise more than I really wanted to. Thankfully we won the battle more often than not.

Last edited:

BarricadeGT

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Well, the the 3rd lid arrived, same gap as the previous lids. To add insult to injury, the door arm screw holes were not finished correctly, large burs prevent you from putting a screw through... face palm, no biggie, ill use the old arms. Same gap as previous 2 lids, except this time I spent the $40cdn on a lava lock gasket kit, applied to the new lid, and it helped a ton, now smoke/heat is only coming out of the rear exhaust or the grease spout.

I'll call Traeger later today, express my disappointment that I'm out $40 to fix what looks to be either a barrel defect (as three lids all have the same issue?). Its only $40, but again, why should the consumer have to troubleshoot and fix an issue?

rovino

Reaction score
Grill
pro 22 . looking to upgrade to an ironwood 885
I did this to my pro 22 and it sealed up a lot of issues. Just bought a Ironwood 885, now mind you... I ended up with the floor model unit because they didnt have any new in the box. yeah I should have gotten a better discount IMO. but I was already getting 10% off. I have some smoke leaks. mainly from the lowend-hopper side and believe it or not most of the opt mainly right in the middle. I plan to buy some self adhesive gasket and fix the problem...
https://www.amazon.com/Fireblack125-smoker-Gasket-Stick15-LavaLock/dp/B01DMFP1TO?ref_=ast_sto_dp

going with Fireblack 125 15 ft.

atd_999

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I replied earlier...then i discovered at my 885 also leak smoke out of the door..then i discovered that the factory gasket is actually the cause..it pushed the door upward a little when you close.. the fix is simple ....after you closed the door ..just push down a litte bit further..this make compressed the bottom gasket a bit more and after the door still leaks at tiny bit at the bottom sides .. see picture..

Attachments

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I always lean on the door handle in a futile attempt to "tease" the door into a tighter fit. You are right, if you just close the lid the door usually hangs up, pulling down or leaning on the handle does reduce the gap but sadly not enough. The low temp cooks aren't that much of an issue, at 400 on up it becomes an issue. Door gap aside, it's a great grill and smoker..

The cheapest smoker they sell , the Junior has a perfect door seal .

MorePwr

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I seasoned mine and found scorch marks on the lower edges of the barrel. I just went ahead and applied Lavalock to mine. As you can see it now seals all the way around, which I believe should help keep temps more in line and consistent.

Attachments

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
Traeger sent me a warranty lid and it fit worse than the original. I have sealed it up with a gasket and it's much better but not 100%

jp9724

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
After a close look at my lid I've determined the hinges to be the fault(at least on mine). The hinges where it contacts the barrel are flat instead of curved to fit the proper shape of the barrel. When i press the lid down it seals and pulls the hinge up. I wonder if i can remove the hinges and warm them up with a torch and give them a bit of of a curve...... or added washers and longer screws to the rear of the hinge maybe....

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
After a close look at my lid I've determined the hinges to be the fault(at least on mine). The hinges where it contacts the barrel are flat instead of curved to fit the proper shape of the barrel. When i press the lid down it seals and pulls the hinge up. I wonder if i can remove the hinges and warm them up with a torch and give them a bit of of a curve...... or added washers and longer screws to the rear of the hinge maybe....
I have noticed the same with one of my hinges as well. I'm sure it could be shimmed if not manipulated with heat. Once I put the gasket on it is decent so I didn't pursue it further.

Last edited:

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
It's obvious that no one at Traeger gives a fat rats behind about even the most obvious design flaws. When I made my original complaint about the door I sent emails with a complete set of pictures showing the flat hinge on the oval shell as well as the different contour on the opposite sides of the door. The left side is consistently worse than the right. (facing door) I received no comment. Perhaps a class action might bring them around.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Thinking of going from a Pro 575 to Ironside 650. Does the 650 have the door/hinge issues?

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
Thinking of going from a Pro 575 to Ironside 650. Does the 650 have the door/hinge issues?
Yes mine has the lid gap issue. I put a gasket on it and it's better but not perfect. They sent a new lid and it was worse. Cheers.

jp9724

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Yes mine has the lid gap issue. I put a gasket on it and it's better but not perfect. They sent a new lid and it was worse. Cheers.
Does the gasket do high temps? Does it handle the 500f?

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
Yes it does. I use it on my Weber's and they get a lot hotter than a Traeger. I think the one I used was good for 1000f if I remember correctly

Flatlander

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Thanks for the info gang. I'll probably go ahead and upgrade from my pro series to the Ironwood with the idea in mind I may have to go the gasket route. I've got a long history with stick burners and BGE and have never had an absolutely perfect seal so I'm ok with some smoke escaping. (Although my P575 is pretty darn close). Cheers to all!

bfletcher

Reaction score
Grill
I 885
I'll probably go ahead and upgrade from my pro series to the Ironwood
Good luck! I enjoy my Ironwood. I hold the opinion with these being forced air units some exhaust going out the lid is not an issue but I respect that it's bothersome to some folks.

1Jarhead

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I noticed the smoke ring around my ironwood when I did the initial seasoning. Then when I cooked a chicken at higher temps it went through a whole 20 lbs bag in about 2 hours.

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I am in Australia, I have a Pro 22 and want to upgrade to either the Pro series 780 or the 575. If either of these have faulty lids what should I look for in the store? Put a credit card in lid I suppose! I was thinking about the Ironwood 885 but reading here there seems to many faults with the lids for me to consider.