Ironwood Defective Lid

BarricadeGT

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
So, I think I got one of the bad lids. Is this what we're talking about?

View attachment 688
Yes, from your picture I can see a clear 1/8"+ gap, although the bad news is a new lid will probably not fix the issue. It appears to be a design flaw :(

Sadly I will most likely give up on my "fight" after I get my 3rd lid and apply an aftermarket gasket. I'm disappointed, but what else can I do? Its nice they will send a new lid, but if each new lid does this, whats the point (short of costing Traeger money, and waste both out time)

For the mean time, I'll let people know on forums that are researching the product in hopes they can make a more informed decision then I did when buying the ironwood 885.

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
If the grill body and the door were formed properly there would be no problem. Traeger are killing themselves with poor customer relations as well as incurring endless costs for bogus fixes and parts shipment. A simple jig would be able to show QC if the Grill body or the door was formed properly. There seems to be no accountability, the buck should stop somewhere but it doesn't. They can build a Junior with the door sealing perfectly, they should be able to do the same with the Ironwood. I just looked at a century wide body at costco today and the door was dead nuts.

The service is by contracted call centres who don't seem to give a rat's behind about fixing anything. Someone eventually will become aware of the cost, they could seek a permanent fix or be true to north american corporate culture and ignore it.

Smart money would gasket the door and be done with it. It would be cheaper for them just to engineer a robust gasket assembly, something more robust than a stick on . If they go cheap it'll just compound the problem.

I spent years as a field engineer for 2 pretty big refrigeration manufacturers and fought this malaise more than I really wanted to. Thankfully we won the battle more often than not.

Last edited:

BarricadeGT

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Well, the the 3rd lid arrived, same gap as the previous lids. To add insult to injury, the door arm screw holes were not finished correctly, large burs prevent you from putting a screw through... face palm, no biggie, ill use the old arms. Same gap as previous 2 lids, except this time I spent the $40cdn on a lava lock gasket kit, applied to the new lid, and it helped a ton, now smoke/heat is only coming out of the rear exhaust or the grease spout.

I'll call Traeger later today, express my disappointment that I'm out $40 to fix what looks to be either a barrel defect (as three lids all have the same issue?). Its only $40, but again, why should the consumer have to troubleshoot and fix an issue?