Ironwood Defective Lid

So, I think I got one of the bad lids. Is this what we're talking about?

View attachment 688
I'm not replying to give a definitive answer one way or another but here's my opinion: just because there's some exhaust leak through the cabin door does not give me reason to believe there's a defect. And if some Traeger's have a gasket around the entire perimeter and/or do not exhibit signs of leaks I'm still not convinced there is a defect. I look at the lid and the bottom gasket and I'm persuaded there isn't an Ironwood on earth that doesn't leak. That, too, does not convince me of a defect. Some manufacturers state emphatically that their design is based on a little airflow through the door. In my opinion, if I were to seal the door there would be an increased volume of heat and smoke through the downdraft exhaust which--incidentally--is not adjustable. If I wanted a smoker with no leaks around the door then I'd also choose one whose exhaust I could adjust. Others may view this much differently, which is their entitlement.

It's likely that some of us will have different gripes. While I don't get worked-up over the door leak I was unpleasantly surprised to learn of what I consider to be a significant decrease in smoke volume at higher temperatures; I'm not willing to share, yet, at what temp I'm unhappy because I'm still assessing the threshold but it is lower than I would have anticipated.

Last edited:
Nope, I would not do that. After I realized that my honest opinion so horribly offended two or three folks I removed a couple comments to avoid further disruption. I would never hide from what I believe to be fair feedback but I do apologize for the manner in which I shared it. Honestly, I hope you forgive my earlier approach. But most importantly, please don't have ill feelings against dtd_999, because then I would feel I have part responsibility.

Can you forgive me?
I would forgive you if you'd give it a rest. You apologise and then continue to hammer at what many of us consider a flaw. You claim it does not bother you yet you won't stop harping about it. You apologise for offending and then immediately restate the same argument. You removed your comments and now we're going down the same path again After the 3rd or 4 time one wonders what the motive is!

Regarding your observations of decreased smoke generation at higher temps:
Smoke is generated by inefficient combustion The sweet spot for smoke generation is between 165 and 225 on the D2 traegers and close to that on the AC models. Other brands follow the same general limitations. When you switch "super smoke" on, the emphasis on smoke generation over temperature regulation becomes more obvious.

If you want more smoke at higher temps, many members use "smoke tubes". A smoke tube is a mesh tube that you fill with pellets, light and place in the airflow in the lower cavity. In that case you have the flame pot burning pellets efficiently (little smoke) and the smoke tube smouldering (inefficiently) If the emphasis was on smoke generation when the grill is trying to maintain higher temperatures the pellet grills would have difficulty reaching set point.

Hi Wulfenite: I hope you get it worked-out so that you can have peace of mind using your Traeger. I was not attempting to create strife; you asked a question, so I felt I would be permitted to share my personal observation. I'm not here to say I'm right; I'm participating because there may be value in varying thoughts on the subject. I'm embarrassed that you're needing to read-through this maze. Good luck!

View attachment 688

Yes, from your picture I can see a clear 1/8"+ gap, although the bad news is a new lid will probably not fix the issue. It appears to be a design flaw :(

Sadly I will most likely give up on my "fight" after I get my 3rd lid and apply an aftermarket gasket. I'm disappointed, but what else can I do? Its nice they will send a new lid, but if each new lid does this, whats the point (short of costing Traeger money, and waste both out time)

For the mean time, I'll let people know on forums that are researching the product in hopes they can make a more informed decision then I did when buying the ironwood 885.

If the grill body and the door were formed properly there would be no problem. Traeger are killing themselves with poor customer relations as well as incurring endless costs for bogus fixes and parts shipment. A simple jig would be able to show QC if the Grill body or the door was formed properly. There seems to be no accountability, the buck should stop somewhere but it doesn't. They can build a Junior with the door sealing perfectly, they should be able to do the same with the Ironwood. I just looked at a century wide body at costco today and the door was dead nuts.

The service is by contracted call centres who don't seem to give a rat's behind about fixing anything. Someone eventually will become aware of the cost, they could seek a permanent fix or be true to north american corporate culture and ignore it.

Smart money would gasket the door and be done with it. It would be cheaper for them just to engineer a robust gasket assembly, something more robust than a stick on . If they go cheap it'll just compound the problem.

I spent years as a field engineer for 2 pretty big refrigeration manufacturers and fought this malaise more than I really wanted to. Thankfully we won the battle more often than not.

Last edited:
Well, the the 3rd lid arrived, same gap as the previous lids. To add insult to injury, the door arm screw holes were not finished correctly, large burs prevent you from putting a screw through... face palm, no biggie, ill use the old arms. Same gap as previous 2 lids, except this time I spent the $40cdn on a lava lock gasket kit, applied to the new lid, and it helped a ton, now smoke/heat is only coming out of the rear exhaust or the grease spout.

I'll call Traeger later today, express my disappointment that I'm out $40 to fix what looks to be either a barrel defect (as three lids all have the same issue?). Its only $40, but again, why should the consumer have to troubleshoot and fix an issue?

I did this to my pro 22 and it sealed up a lot of issues. Just bought a Ironwood 885, now mind you... I ended up with the floor model unit because they didnt have any new in the box. yeah I should have gotten a better discount IMO. but I was already getting 10% off. I have some smoke leaks. mainly from the lowend-hopper side and believe it or not most of the opt mainly right in the middle. I plan to buy some self adhesive gasket and fix the problem...
https://www.amazon.com/Fireblack125-smoker-Gasket-Stick15-LavaLock/dp/B01DMFP1TO?ref_=ast_sto_dp

going with Fireblack 125 15 ft.

I replied earlier...then i discovered at my 885 also leak smoke out of the door..then i discovered that the factory gasket is actually the cause..it pushed the door upward a little when you close.. the fix is simple ....after you closed the door ..just push down a litte bit further..this make compressed the bottom gasket a bit more and after the door still leaks at tiny bit at the bottom sides .. see picture..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191109-205719_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191109-205719_Photos.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20191109-210207_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191109-210207_Photos.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 99
I always lean on the door handle in a futile attempt to "tease" the door into a tighter fit. You are right, if you just close the lid the door usually hangs up, pulling down or leaning on the handle does reduce the gap but sadly not enough. The low temp cooks aren't that much of an issue, at 400 on up it becomes an issue. Door gap aside, it's a great grill and smoker..

The cheapest smoker they sell , the Junior has a perfect door seal .

I seasoned mine and found scorch marks on the lower edges of the barrel. I just went ahead and applied Lavalock to mine. As you can see it now seals all the way around, which I believe should help keep temps more in line and consistent.

Attachments

• 20191225_102724.jpg
    20191225_102724.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 123
  • 20191225_102741.jpg
    20191225_102741.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20191225_102751.jpg
    20191225_102751.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 120
Traeger sent me a warranty lid and it fit worse than the original. I have sealed it up with a gasket and it's much better but not 100%

After a close look at my lid I've determined the hinges to be the fault(at least on mine). The hinges where it contacts the barrel are flat instead of curved to fit the proper shape of the barrel. When i press the lid down it seals and pulls the hinge up. I wonder if i can remove the hinges and warm them up with a torch and give them a bit of of a curve...... or added washers and longer screws to the rear of the hinge maybe....

Latest Discussions

Back