Grate in pellet hopper

SmokinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Does anyone know what the purpose of this grate in the pellet hopper is?

Planning on taking it out.

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
It is a safe guard to prevent a person from sticking their arm inside to move pellets around and having your fingers torn off by the auger screw.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Thank you! It’s definitely coming out then.

Need to get my hand in there lol

Walleye Hunter

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I thought it was in there to hold the plastic fork that I use to poke at the pellets.

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
You don't need to move the pellets. I have never touched mine.....leave it alone it is fine

Last edited:

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have mine removed, so I can take a plastic cup an empty the pellets out of the hopper faster then using the door in the back.

Seed

Grill Master of the Month
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
That thing sucks. Can't clear the hopper without sticking a stick in there and struggling to move pellets around. Crap design. Should have a knob on the right and put it on a hinge on the left.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
You don't need to move the pellets. I have never touched mine.....leave it alone it is fine
If I don’t move them around I keep getting the alerts that I’m out of pellets. The sensor is good idea but wish it worked better

pkitch

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Took mine out reluctantly (I think it looks cool), but the pellets stick a bit to the sides and I do need to stir them to move down to the auger hole. For such a basic function I really would have thought they'd figure a simple solution for this such as sloped sides. I would assume they haven't as this would decrease the capacity and therefore marketing/bragging rights...

Ray

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I took mine out, it's in the way and probably put there to protect the manufacturer and us from ourselves. I made the best brisket of my life this weekend. Followed the guide, actually cooked with the GRILLGUIDE. Couldn't have been easier or better! Of course my secret is the coffee rub I use on all my briskets.
PS - my new probe is as bad as the one they replaced - low by 20 -25 degrees. With such a great BBQ, you'd think they could get the probe right.

Last edited:

GrillMeister

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22
That grate is from a Darwin candidate and the law firm of Dewey, Scroohim, & Howe.

I took mine out first thing and just put the screws back in, just like my previous 2 other Traegers.

If you need that grate, you should not be driving a Traeger. LOL.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
That grate is from a Darwin candidate and the law firm of Dewey, Scroohim, & Howe.

I took mine out first thing and just put the screws back in, just like my previous 2 other Traegers.

If you need that grate, you should not be driving a Traeger. LOL.
Lol agreed!

Gary

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I have noticed that on occasion my unit will have a tunnel effect and pellets would not feed or fall to the auger. Kinda of a concern on a long cook or if your away from home and the smoker.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I have noticed that on occasion my unit will have a tunnel effect and pellets would not feed or fall to the auger. Kinda of a concern on a long cook or if your away from home and the smoker.
I know what you’re talking about. It concerns me too but even on my 15+ hour cooks it’s never been an issue. But for those I fill it all the way up and check it a least every three hours so it guess that’s why I haven’t had an issue.

Gary

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I did have it happen once. I also now check or have someone check if i'm not around, it seems the chute needs to be just a touch steeper