Grate in pellet hopper

SmokinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Does anyone know what the purpose of this grate in the pellet hopper is?

Planning on taking it out.

It is a safe guard to prevent a person from sticking their arm inside to move pellets around and having your fingers torn off by the auger screw.

Thank you! It’s definitely coming out then.

Need to get my hand in there lol

I thought it was in there to hold the plastic fork that I use to poke at the pellets.

You don't need to move the pellets. I have never touched mine.....leave it alone it is fine

Last edited:
I have mine removed, so I can take a plastic cup an empty the pellets out of the hopper faster then using the door in the back.

That thing sucks. Can't clear the hopper without sticking a stick in there and struggling to move pellets around. Crap design. Should have a knob on the right and put it on a hinge on the left.

You don't need to move the pellets. I have never touched mine.....leave it alone it is fine
If I don’t move them around I keep getting the alerts that I’m out of pellets. The sensor is good idea but wish it worked better

Took mine out reluctantly (I think it looks cool), but the pellets stick a bit to the sides and I do need to stir them to move down to the auger hole. For such a basic function I really would have thought they'd figure a simple solution for this such as sloped sides. I would assume they haven't as this would decrease the capacity and therefore marketing/bragging rights...

I took mine out, it's in the way and probably put there to protect the manufacturer and us from ourselves. I made the best brisket of my life this weekend. Followed the guide, actually cooked with the GRILLGUIDE. Couldn't have been easier or better! Of course my secret is the coffee rub I use on all my briskets.
PS - my new probe is as bad as the one they replaced - low by 20 -25 degrees. With such a great BBQ, you'd think they could get the probe right.

Last edited:
That grate is from a Darwin candidate and the law firm of Dewey, Scroohim, & Howe.

I took mine out first thing and just put the screws back in, just like my previous 2 other Traegers.

If you need that grate, you should not be driving a Traeger. LOL.

That grate is from a Darwin candidate and the law firm of Dewey, Scroohim, & Howe.

I took mine out first thing and just put the screws back in, just like my previous 2 other Traegers.

If you need that grate, you should not be driving a Traeger. LOL.
Lol agreed!

Latest Discussions

Back