Help! First Time, Long Time

BullX

Reaction score
Grill
Select Elite pellet smoker grill
The title of this has a couple meanings. I have been a long time enjoyer of smoked meats, first time smoking my own. I recently bought a used (but great condition) Traeger Select Elite pellet smoker grill. It is a version built for Costco I believe. After doing plenty of research about how to smoke a brisket I went for it. Everything said my 4 lb flat should finish around the 6 hour mark. I put it on at 11:45am at 250 and didn't hit 165 until 921pm. I wrapped it in butcher paper, and put it back on and this is where the frustration kicked in. The temps would not rise! I thought it may have been a bad probe, but I checked it with a separate, non digital meat thermometer and verified the temp. At 115AM I finally pulled it off regardless of displayed temp and put in a cooler for about 45 minutes. At 2AM, yes 2 in the morning, I cut into it. It was pretty damn good. Juicy, fat rendered solid bark and tender. Although it came out pretty good I am still calling this a fail as the people I was cooking for had to shift gears and cook for me. Glad I have good neighbors! Did I do something wrong? 13 hours and as full hopper of pellets later I ended up with leftovers...
IMG_4973.jpg

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
It sound like the grill wasn't actually running at 250f. Check actual grill temp with a 3rd part themometer, put it close to the rtd probe in the grill.

My Pro 780 has run up to 30f below set and actual temp.

OP
OP
B

BullX

Reaction score
Grill
I was looking at another thread just after I posted this that led me to the same conclusion. Is there a way to adjust this or do I need to consider replacing the temp sensor?

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
It depends on the controller. Some older models have a (P) setting that can be adjusted. I am not familiar with in though. My Pro 780 doesn't have it.

magoo40

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Measure the actual grill temp and compensate the controller temp, "did i do something wrong" only that believed that crap about allow x hrs per pound to cook, it is indicative and each cut can vary Greatly. And you started way too late in the day, start early to give your self a time buffer, if it finishes early it will sit in the cooler for several hours if kept wrapped. Good luck on the next one.

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Welcome to the forum @BullX - Be sure to keep us updated how the next smoke goes.

OP
OP
B

BullX

Reaction score
Grill
Hey guys - I checked my temps this time with an external thermometer and found my original temps were almost 50 degrees off! Not sure what caused it but I have been getting better results. Did a 10 lb brisket, chicken and ribs and all turned out great. Just a new guy experimenting here and learning from my mistakes. Thanks for the advice and glad I found this forum.

John S.

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I put the point on the left and the flat on the right as my grill is hotter on the left...
fireboard probe 1 ambient right, probe 2 ambient left, probe 3 point, probe 4 flat, probe 5 chicken, probe 6 not used....
cook by temp not time.... and as magoo40 said, start early....

Latest Discussions