Exterior Paint Bubbling - Ironwood 650

That's exactly it for me too. It really doesn't affect the performance of the unit but knowing that I paid top dollar for a unit with mickey mouse issues is really bothersome.

I find it very interesting that the only people that have responded to this issue are in Canada. I'm not sure why that would be - perhaps the paint hasn't cured properly before it arrives in cold weather? My issue arose on a warm spring day so I don't think it has anything to do with the temperature on the actual day of the cook.

I find it very interesting that the only people that have responded to this issue are in Canada. I'm not sure why that would be - perhaps the paint hasn't cured properly before it arrives in cold weather?
I would be interested to know if it relates to a batch of units that wound up in Canada. I am sure that Traeger could tell by serial numbers. If there is an issue, they should work with affected owners to get a corrected unit in their hands.
They don't seem to have issues sending out new controllers to u its that are being messed up through updates. I get that the cost of the controller and shipping costs would be far less than supplying a new unit and returning the damaged one.

Last edited:
JonO and myself talked about the certain batch thing. I had the 2019 model without Pellet Sensor and it was a replacement grill shipped direct from Traeger in the US, he has the 2020 model with the pellet sensor. I wondered if it had something to do with a higher altitude (in Calgary), but you on the island throws that out the window...

I have a 2020 model with the sensor

Well after many many phone calls, it seems they are shipping me a replacement grill. Hope this one is a little more resilient!

I guess you have to walk the long walk and push for the replacements or a resolve. I got the following as a reply to my claim on my new grill.
Quite disappointed that they see it as a non-warranty issue
Here is their reply
I am sorry that you are experiencing bubbling! Looking at the damage it seems that this would be cause by high temperatures. If this was a paint defect it would have definitely happened on the burn in. I do apologize but this would not be covered under warranty
Heat levels are never beyond the capability of the grill's output. Seeing as though the bubbling on these grills seems to be in the same location, that would indicate a design flaw relative to how and where heat is created inside the Ironwood. The Timberline won't be affected due to having double insulation throughout.
The bubbling paint on the Ironwood is just beyond their heat shield.
Not sure if i will continue the fight or walk away at this point

I guess you have to walk the long walk and push for the replacements or a resolve. I got the following as a reply to my claim on my new grill.
Quite disappointed that they see it as a non-warranty issue
Here is their reply

Heat levels are never beyond the capability of the grill's output. Seeing as though the bubbling on these grills seems to be in the same location, that would indicate a design flaw relative to how and where heat is created inside the Ironwood. The Timberline won't be affected due to having double insulation throughout.
The bubbling paint on the Ironwood is just beyond their heat shield.
Not sure if i will continue the fight or walk away at this point
That sucks. I’d go to the place you bought it from and get them to contact Traeger.

That is super frustrating. Yes, it was caused by the high temperatures that are typical of a grill - I would have thought that would have been taken into account during the design phase!

I agree with MikeyR that you will have to persist through as many channels as you can if you want a replacement. I can also understand just living with it, as the replacement process is certainly a hassle and a time suck.

Once I get my new grill I plan to extend the internal heat shield myself to prevent it from happening again. It seems silly that I should have to do this but it beats having to fight with warranty if it happens again.

That is super frustrating. Yes, it was caused by the high temperatures that are typical of a grill - I would have thought that would have been taken into account during the design phase!

I agree with MikeyR that you will have to persist through as many channels as you can if you want a replacement. I can also understand just living with it, as the replacement process is certainly a hassle and a time suck.

Once I get my new grill I plan to extend the internal heat shield myself to prevent it from happening again. It seems silly that I should have to do this but it beats having to fight with warranty if it happens again.

Are you going to weld onto the edges of it or take the piece from your old grill or how are you going to extend it?

I agree about the hassle. I got my grill online from Dickson BBQ. They are great to deal with. I may send them my correspondence with Traeger and see if they can forward to their representative for possibly a more sympathetic ear

Are you going to weld onto the edges of it or take the piece from your old grill or how are you going to extend it?

The interior shield is just aluminum so I was planning to just take some sheet aluminum, cut to size, drill some holes into it and the existing shield, and screw or bolt them together so that it extends to the end shields on each corner.

The interior shield is just aluminum so I was planning to just take some sheet aluminum, cut to size, drill some holes into it and the existing shield, and screw or bolt them together so that it extends to the end shields on each corner.
I am interested in seeing this when you have it completed.
You would think that a grill designed to operate 500°F would allow you to operate at that temperature and above i to a safety factor. I've got a Weber kettle charcoal grill that is about 10 years old and has seen many fires and hugh temperatures, yet the paint on it is still flawless except for the dent from shipping damage. That BBQ cost was only around $150.00. My gas BBQ is cheap and old, no bubbles there either.
Hard to accept bubbles in the paint from what they determine to be high heat on a $1500 CDN pellet grill.
A search online for Traeger and bubbling paint yields more than a few results.

I am interested in seeing this when you have it completed.
You would think that a grill designed to operate 500°F would allow you to operate at that temperature and above i to a safety factor. I've got a Weber kettle charcoal grill that is about 10 years old and has seen many fires and hugh temperatures, yet the paint on it is still flawless except for the dent from shipping damage. That BBQ cost was only around $150.00. My gas BBQ is cheap and old, no bubbles there either.
Hard to accept bubbles in the paint from what they determine to be high heat on a $1500 CDN pellet grill.
A search online for Traeger and bubbling paint yields more than a few results.

I'll post some pics when I do it.

Tsk tsk tsk, still same problem I thought they would have solved the paint problem, bought my ironwood when it first came out, 2nd time cooking paint started peeling, traeger have the worst customer service ever. Luckily local store helped me return it and get my money
back.

I got an extra Heat Deflector and cut it. Hopefully it helps.
5D86D73B-8624-4B02-B69C-022348E9DCF0.jpeg
5D86D73B-8624-4B02-B69C-022348E9DCF0.jpeg

Back