Considering Adding Gasket to IW650 Lid

OP
OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
So I did some quick burgers tonight and am happy with the results of the seal at the top and edges of the lid but now unfortunately I do have a fairly consistent stream of light smoke all along the bottom of the lid. I've checked the factory seal and it's in place and the gasket I added is straight and by the eye appears to make contact with the barrel at the bottom so I'm at a loss as to why I have more smoke escaping from the bottom than I did before adding the gasket. Not a deal breaker but perhaps I'll next remove the factory gasket or just live with it the way it is. My only concern is the handle now gets hotter since there's that constant stream of smoke/heat all across the bottom. Any suggestions? Thanks gang

TheHardWay

Reaction score
Next step I'd take would be to loosen the hinge screws, then open and close the lid a few times to let the side "center" itself. If that doesn't work, might try re-arching the lid with brute, caveman-like strength just a little bit to change how the lid seals against the barrel. I now recall that I had to do this on mine.

Doogie1962

Reaction score
Grill
TL850
I have a TL850 with lid gasket issues. Even though this is the IW chat, I feel this is the best spot for this issue since it is the same. First of all, thank you for the information on this chain. I have been trying to get the award winning Customer Service department to send me a new gasket since 12/28/2019. But thanks to the suggestions from here, I just ordered the Lava Lock gasket that TheHardWay suggested and it will be here on Saturday. I have yet another call back placed, this time I was cue#8, been waiting for 1 Hour and 20 minutes and counting to check on the "backordered" gasket. Seems by the number of calls and emails I have sent since 12/28, they would freaking go on the floor and get one or look into a new vendor. Wonder what award Customer Service received? Anyway that is a different issue. I want to thank you all again for the advice!

Last edited:

Doogie1962

Reaction score
Grill
TL850
I have a TL850 with lid gasket issues. Even though this is the IW chat, I feel this is the best spot for this issue since it is the same. First of all, thank you for the information on this chain. I have been trying to get the award winning Customer Service department to send me a new gasket since 12/28/2019. But thanks to the suggestions from here, I just ordered the Lava Lock gasket that TheHardWay suggested and it will be here on Saturday. I have yet another call back placed, this time I was cue#8, been waiting for 1 Hour and 20 minutes and counting to check on the "backordered" gasket. Seems by the number of calls and emails I have sent since 12/28, they would freaking go on the floor and get one or look into a new vendor. Wonder what award Customer Service received? Anyway that is a different issue. I want to thank you all again for the advice!
UPDATE: Got the Lava Lock gasket TheHardWay suggested and it works great. Thanks again to this chain, I will be able to use my grill next weekend! Oh, and I put mine on the lid where the original one was and then I put two strips across the top. Customer Service never called back and still haven't gotten my part. I guess all the other blogs I read about Traeger Customer Service is true. Funny the new company spent all that money sueing the Traeger family to quit using their name. Maybe the Traeger Family should sue the company to quit using their name on such a lousy company that is only interested in sales and definitely not service!

Happy Grilling!

TheSpann

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Which detergent you used to remove residue before you attached the gasket to the lid?

CampWhatnot

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650
I used LA's Totally awesome. It's a great cleaner

jp9724

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I removed the lid and took it inside, NOTHING cleans grease like Dawn dish soap. Applied after I dried it with paper towel.