Considering Adding Gasket to IW650 Lid

but anything below 200° seems to have a bit more smoke coming out of the bottom.

Don't trust my input but in my feeble mind if you truly want to eliminate all leaks from the lid then you may need to remove the factory-installed gasket now that you used the aftermarket strips. But if you go that route, the clips that secure it may bend and you could have trouble replacing it. I say that for this reason: my factory gasket started drooping because a few clips would not hold their position, so Traeger sent a new one to me. When I removed the old one I observed that the lid sides quite nicely fit the contour of the barrel, so rather than installing the new gasket I simply added the aftermarket gasket (like what you have) to the bottom and top of the lid and added nothing to the sides. I honestly was not freaked-out that my lid leaked--I simply intended to replace the factory gasket when I began the task--so I am not here to state that nothing escapes my lid now but I can state that I don't get stains on the barrel, so I'm inclined to feel it has quite a good seal.

@bfletcher thanks for your comments and you may be point on. I'm going to do a long low and slow over the weekend and see how it goes. It's definitely an improvement over what I observed originally except for seeing a lot more smoke during preheating at the bottom of the lid now (Maybe it's because my sides are now just better sealed. Lol). Was removing the factory bottom seal difficult? I haven't really examined it yet. Thanks

Was removing the factory bottom seal difficult? I haven't really examined it yet. Thanks

It was not at all difficult to remove but it is held in place by thin-gauge wire clips that snap into round holes of the lid. Just be prepared for those clips to bend if you remove it, which may pose a problem if you determine that my solution sucks and want to reinstall it ?

Double check to make sure the factory gasket is pushed all the way in to the mounting track. That is the first thing Traeger told me to do when I contacted them about excessive smoke escaping through the lid.

So I did some quick burgers tonight and am happy with the results of the seal at the top and edges of the lid but now unfortunately I do have a fairly consistent stream of light smoke all along the bottom of the lid. I've checked the factory seal and it's in place and the gasket I added is straight and by the eye appears to make contact with the barrel at the bottom so I'm at a loss as to why I have more smoke escaping from the bottom than I did before adding the gasket. Not a deal breaker but perhaps I'll next remove the factory gasket or just live with it the way it is. My only concern is the handle now gets hotter since there's that constant stream of smoke/heat all across the bottom. Any suggestions? Thanks gang

Next step I'd take would be to loosen the hinge screws, then open and close the lid a few times to let the side "center" itself. If that doesn't work, might try re-arching the lid with brute, caveman-like strength just a little bit to change how the lid seals against the barrel. I now recall that I had to do this on mine.

I have a TL850 with lid gasket issues. Even though this is the IW chat, I feel this is the best spot for this issue since it is the same. First of all, thank you for the information on this chain. I have been trying to get the award winning Customer Service department to send me a new gasket since 12/28/2019. But thanks to the suggestions from here, I just ordered the Lava Lock gasket that TheHardWay suggested and it will be here on Saturday. I have yet another call back placed, this time I was cue#8, been waiting for 1 Hour and 20 minutes and counting to check on the "backordered" gasket. Seems by the number of calls and emails I have sent since 12/28, they would freaking go on the floor and get one or look into a new vendor. Wonder what award Customer Service received? Anyway that is a different issue. I want to thank you all again for the advice!

Last edited:
I have a TL850 with lid gasket issues. Even though this is the IW chat, I feel this is the best spot for this issue since it is the same. First of all, thank you for the information on this chain. I have been trying to get the award winning Customer Service department to send me a new gasket since 12/28/2019. But thanks to the suggestions from here, I just ordered the Lava Lock gasket that TheHardWay suggested and it will be here on Saturday. I have yet another call back placed, this time I was cue#8, been waiting for 1 Hour and 20 minutes and counting to check on the "backordered" gasket. Seems by the number of calls and emails I have sent since 12/28, they would freaking go on the floor and get one or look into a new vendor. Wonder what award Customer Service received? Anyway that is a different issue. I want to thank you all again for the advice!
UPDATE: Got the Lava Lock gasket TheHardWay suggested and it works great. Thanks again to this chain, I will be able to use my grill next weekend! Oh, and I put mine on the lid where the original one was and then I put two strips across the top. Customer Service never called back and still haven't gotten my part. I guess all the other blogs I read about Traeger Customer Service is true. Funny the new company spent all that money sueing the Traeger family to quit using their name. Maybe the Traeger Family should sue the company to quit using their name on such a lousy company that is only interested in sales and definitely not service!

Happy Grilling!

Which detergent you used to remove residue before you attached the gasket to the lid?

I used LA's Totally awesome. It's a great cleaner

I removed the lid and took it inside, NOTHING cleans grease like Dawn dish soap. Applied after I dried it with paper towel.

I put on the lava rock seal and did NOT remove the factory gasket on the bottom lip of the lid. It is very easy to get the lava rock seal slightly under the factory gasket by pulling the gasket away from the lid as you slowly stick the lava rock seal to the front edge. After you are done the factory gasket reseats itself like nothing has changed. I think this will eliminate your issues with "more smoke" coming out the front of the ironwood, mine has zero smoke coming out anywhere but the exhaust and drip nozzle.

Hi there. The gasket I chose to use is made by Lava Rock. ? It's similar to the felt gasket used on ceramic cookers like the Big Green Egg. I have an Ironwood which the lid isn't as tight fitting as my Pro 575 so I opted to add a gasket around the lid to help lessen the chance of excess escaping heat or smoke around the lid. Super easy fix. (See pic). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Is this the 1" or 1/2" wide strip? I was using a 1/2" wide strip and amazon sold out, I feel a 1" wide strip would be too wide with the existing gasket on the bottom of the door....

Back