Changed my mind

I had a tough time deciding between the ironwood and the timberline. Really the only two big differences is the timberline has double wall construction all around vs just the sides like on the ironwood. The timberline has gasket seals around the lid also where the ironwood only has a seal on the bottom. In the end I decided to save the difference in $$ and went with the ironwood. I put my own $12 gasket on, spent $60 on the front shelf, and rolled with it. I am happy. My only regret is the bigger grill would have been nice but I rarely need that much space.

Welcome to the forum @Quoddy - It's certainly a tough choice. I went through the same process and ended up with the Ironwood 650. I've been real happy with my decision and haven't looked back. Let us know what you decide!

I've decided on a Traeger for my first pellet smoker after many years of propane and charcoal grilling. I've yet to firmly decide on a model, but I'm strongly drawn to the Ironwood 885. I can't decide if the Timberline 850 is worth the extra 400. If the shelf was actually useable, the cost difference would then be only be 340, but it isn't. Although the Ironwood is probably seen to be overkill for a new griller, it's the way I go with activities and purchases. Go big and best so there is only myself to blame if the results aren't as expected.

I have the Timberline 850!
Why I am glad I bought it...
Stainless grates.
Look at the lid on both. You will see!
Also I never have to worry about someone burning themselves as it doesn’t get hot. Until over 350.
The downside is the is no table. I had to build one myself.
I've decided on a Traeger for my first pellet smoker after many years of propane and charcoal grilling. I've yet to firmly decide on a model, but I'm strongly drawn to the Ironwood 885. I can't decide if the Timberline 850 is worth the extra 400. If the shelf was actually useable, the cost difference would then be only be 340, but it isn't. Although the Ironwood is probably seen to be overkill for a new griller, it's the way I go with activities and purchases. Go big and best so there is only myself to blame if the results aren't as expected.

I have the Timberline 850!
Why I am glad I bought it...
Stainless grates! (This was big for me.)

Look at the lid on both. You will see the difference.
Also I never have to worry about someone burning themselves as it doesn’t get hot until over 350.
The downside is there is no table. I had to build one myself.
Upside...
I love it!!!!
Both will do a great job. Just do it!

Attachments

• C546A762-7823-4DE9-8BFE-FFB0005B94D5.jpeg
    C546A762-7823-4DE9-8BFE-FFB0005B94D5.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 122
  • F3938494-E834-4B4A-8D46-11FCC4D9FA2C.jpeg
    F3938494-E834-4B4A-8D46-11FCC4D9FA2C.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 153
You will be happy either way. Do your research. Decide wha features are most important. And most importantly, figure out how much cooking space you need. As others have said, lid gaskets and shelves are easy mods. I have not run across a ‘traeger stretcher’ to give me more cooking space yet .....

Back