Pellets Alternative pellets?

We are on the US west coast from SF to Canada.
I meant that it doesn't work well for those of us NOT on the west coast. They would be interesting to try for sure.

I use Kingsford pellets. I've used their cherry, hickory, and their oak, hickory, cherry blend. Nice flavor, very little dust, great taste, and no additives. Walmart had them for about $13.00 for a 20 pound bag. I've been very happy with them. Kingsford also makes a pellet container to store them in.

Someone was speaking highly of these a few months back

Not only is it okay to use other pellets, but it is generally recommended. Traeger has a questionable patent that seems to show they add oils to their pellets - not something I want in my food.

As far as "best" goes, I agree with what others have said on here: Pit Boss, Bear Mountain, Knotty Wood. The trick is to use what is available to you that you like. I personally use Pit Boss apple, cherry, and whiskey oak, but I would suggest you try any of the ones mentioned in the thread to find your favorite.
WOW! I'm surprised to hear that Traeger add oils to their pellets. I hadn't heard of that before.

Read it carefully as it's from 2011 and specific to winery vineyard pellets, I think. So unless @YYCRed is discussing these pellets made from grape vines, this is not applicable.

However, if you are concerned about health issues surrounding cooking pellets, you should investigate how tree bark harbors potential toxins for decades. This doesn't really concern me, but it's far more concerning than food grade oils used to lubricate an extrusion jig while making pellets from grape vines. Many manufactures use tree bark in their pellet manufacturing.

I was at my local Costco and saw they started carrying Kirkland brand pellets. A mix of Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry. They were $13 for a 40Lb bag. That's an excellent price. I didn't buy any because I still have 3 x 40Lb bags of Pit Boss competition brand but I think I'll buy a bag to compare.

Here's a review I found. https://shoppingwithdave.com/kirkland-signature-bbq-wood-pellets-review/

Read it carefully as it's from 2011 and specific to winery vineyard pellets, I think. So unless @YYCRed is discussing these pellets made from grape vines, this is not applicable.

However, if you are concerned about health issues surrounding cooking pellets, you should investigate how tree bark harbors potential toxins for decades. This doesn't really concern me, but it's far more concerning than food grade oils used to lubricate an extrusion jig while making pellets from grape vines. Many manufactures use tree bark in their pellet manufacturing.
My bad. I grabbed the wrong patent. They have one from 2006 that is still active that is what I meant to provide: Flavored wood pellet with wood oil

My bad. I grabbed the wrong patent. They have one from 2006 that is still active that is what I meant to provide: Flavored wood pellet with wood oil

Yep they have a handful of those specialty pellets like the ones for Williams Sonoma and Lienenkugles etc.
the bark of the tree is Infinitely more concerning health wise. Neither bothers me, but I find I hilarious that anyone would be concerned about an infinitesimal amount of food grade oil, like what the restaurants cook with and people use as binders on their food, but show no regard for the decades of pollution and toxins that can be trapped in the bark of a tree. It’s really not something that make sense to me. Like I said I use both and figure there are many things that will harm me worse than those two but then again, I don’t have a bunch of hang ups over the minutia. 🤷🏼‍♂️ To each their own.

the bark of the tree is Infinitely more concerning health wise. Neither bothers me, but I find I hilarious that anyone would be concerned about an infinitesimal amount of food grade oil, like what the restaurants cook with and people use as binders on their food, but show no regard for the decades of pollution and toxins that can be trapped in the bark of a tree. It’s really not something that make sense to me. Like I said I use both and figure there are many things that will harm me worse than those two but then again, I don’t have a bunch of hang ups over the minutia. 🤷🏼‍♂️ To each their own.
I wouldn't say that this is an "infinitesimal" amount of oil. "32 lbs of oil can be used to make 2000 lbs of pellets" is still 1.6% added oils. Not that this is the real issue, though. It's about how Traeger markets their pellets as "all natural." No mention of oils or any other additives anywhere. That's all.
traegerpellets.jpg

I wouldn't say that this is an "infinitesimal" amount of oil. "32 lbs of oil can be used to make 2000 lbs of pellets" is still 1.6% added oils. Not that this is the real issue, though. It's about how Traeger markets their pellets as "all natural." No mention of oils or any other additives anywhere. That's all.
View attachment 9637
Maybe there aren’t any in those pellets. I’m pretty sure it’s just in some of the exotic blends they do with retail partners. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Like Mondavi wine and lienenkugle beer and Williams and Sonoma etc. they also add pepper to one of those blends. I never use those, but it’s fairly obvious they are more than just wood. Also they charge extra for them because all that stuff is considered added value to most people. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have posted this here before. Caveat, it is a 10 year old video, who knows if the process is the same or if they use the same mills. They do briefly mention the oil at about 1:55 in the video. They don't talk about flavoring, its soybean oil for lubrication in the process. I don't think they were adding wine, pepper and rosemary type of spicing back then. They may have, I don't profess to know.
Traeger pioneered pellet grills, and proprietary methods to making the pellets would be something they would have wanted to protect.
The industry seems to be self regulated as to how labeling is done. Like any consumer, I would just like to know what I am buying and what is in the bag.
But in saying that......I still buy hot dogs 🌭

I was at my local Costco and saw they started carrying Kirkland brand pellets. A mix of Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry. They were $13 for a 40Lb bag. That's an excellent price. I didn't buy any because I still have 3 x 40Lb bags of Pit Boss competition brand but I think I'll buy a bag to compare.

Here's a review I found. https://shoppingwithdave.com/kirkland-signature-bbq-wood-pellets-review/
Picked up 3 bags today at Costco. Great price at $12.99/40 lb. These are at the Austin South store.

1656093819991.png

Latest Discussions

Back