Pellets Alternative pellets?

What have you found to be the best brand of pellets to use instead of Traeger?
I’ve had great luck with Pit Boss competition blend and lumber Jack hickory/ charcoal… both much better priced and better flavor over traeger

I use Pit Boss primarily - I like the Competition Blend and got 40lb bags at Lowe's for $12. I have other varieties as well and usually put them in a smoke tube for some additional and/or complimentary flavor/smoke.
Same here Grumpy. Can't beat the price and I do the smoke tubes when I want smoke.

I've tried several other brands but always find my way back to the Traeger ones. The "Signature" blend is my go-to when I can't find the Meat Church or Brisket Blend locally.

I don't remember which brand it was, but I've found rocks in one of the non-Traeger brands before. It might have been Cabela's but not 100% sure. It was a while ago. I usually always sift through my pellets to get the excess dust out, so I'm glad I did or else my auger wouldn't have been very happy.

Most of it just comes down to personal preference or price. Some burn faster than others. Some make more smoke than others. Some have stronger flavors than others. Some just have cooler looking bags or brand names that get us to buy them.

another strong vote for Bear Mountain, especially the hickory and gourmet blend :)

since someone brought up Knotty Wood, I will warn about the extreme klinker byproduct from their pellets. search for my thread.

I use Hamer’s Maple pellets. They come from here in WV, pure hardwood maple. These are good grade. I use their heating pellets for my home 😂

I was not familiar with the Hamer brand so I looked up their web site.It looks like their primary business is making pellets for heating. However, they do sell 100% oak, hickory, maple, and cherry pellets that are suitable for smoking. Just do not make the mistake of using fuel grade pellets in your smoker. If you do, the results might not be acceptable.

Here is a link to what I believe is the YouTube video Delta was referring to:

GTDjr, Great blind test. It was really long, but informative and tested fairly. You could tell they were very disappointed at the end when the "winner" was announced!
:cool:

another strong vote for Bear Mountain, especially the hickory and gourmet blend :)

since someone brought up Knotty Wood, I will warn about the extreme klinker byproduct from their pellets. search for my thread.
I remember that and was afraid to run my plum but I just went through a bag of almond with no issues.

There is a lot more ash so I cleaned more frequently (after every cook, king or short).

Yes, I originally stayed from Knotty Wood based on your report! The thing is, there are so many variables in pellet grilling that I may (or may not) have a very different experience. I will start with short cooks and see how it goes and watch out for klinkers.

What have you found to be the best brand of pellets to use instead of Traeger?
We don't get a lot of choices in Perth and when I have used Webber pellets I found that the temp is inconsistent, has anyone experienced this problem?

We don't get a lot of choices in Perth and when I have used Webber pellets I found that the temp is inconsistent, has anyone experienced this problem?

I suspect that the Webber pellets sold in AUS are made there using whatever hardwoods are available. It would be quite expensive to ship bags of pellets from NA to AUS. Thus, I am not sure comments from folks here would be applicable to your situation.

Bear Mountain is the way to go.. At least for me. Love the smoke it puts out and the flavor.

We are on the US west coast from SF to Canada.

Latest Discussions

Back