Actual temp versus rig temp

FLsmoker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Pellet Grill
I've yet to find a rig where the factory temp gauge matches the actual temp, with the temp probe placed at grill level. My first smoke on the Traeger 575 Pro revealed a 20+ degree temp variance between what the smoker reads, and my Thermoworks X probe reads.

Lesson: never rely on the smoker rig temp units
Smoker differential.jpg

Lesson: never rely on the smoker rig temp units

We could have told you that years ago.

We could have told you that years ago.

I've smoked on multiple rigs and knew this from years ago. Just pointing out the temp differential on the Pro 575 for those that might not know.

Many newcomers fail to learn that lesson. You can either learn from the mistakes of others or learn from your own mistakes. I find that the former method is less painful. Thus, I joined this forum.

I confess I SHOULD have read the many reviews concerning the temperature difference. I guess I am one of those people who have to learn the hard way. My question is why hasn't Traeger done anything to address the problem if it has been known for that long? Is it the probes or the circuitry? I think a decent EE could identify and correct any design issues in no time. I should not have to spend more money on a third party temperature monitoring system after all I spent on the Traeger, but I guess I do.

I confess I SHOULD have read the many reviews concerning the temperature difference. I guess I am one of those people who have to learn the hard way. My question is why hasn't Traeger done anything to address the problem if it has been known for that long? Is it the probes or the circuitry? I think a decent EE could identify and correct any design issues in no time. I should not have to spend more money on a third party temperature monitoring system after all I spent on the Traeger, but I guess I do.
Because if you contact them about it, they will tell you that there is nothing wrong with their probes and the temperature difference you see doesn't exist. They don't accept readings from other thermometers as being accurate. Only theirs
I guess if you deny the issue long enough, you start to believe it. They definitely believe it.
We just have to accept that they are inaccurate and adjust for it ourselves. The variances aren't consistent foe everyone, so making a chart of set temps and actual temps for your grill will be handy for you.

Because if you contact them about it, they will tell you that there is nothing wrong with their probes and the temperature difference you see doesn't exist. They don't accept readings from other thermometers as being accurate. Only theirs
I guess if you deny the issue long enough, you start to believe it. They definitely believe it.
We just have to accept that they are inaccurate and adjust for it ourselves. The variances aren't consistent foe everyone, so making a chart of set temps and actual temps for your grill will be handy for you.
I guess Traeger is adopting the "See no evil. Hear no evil" mantra. That way they speak no evil about their own products.

Back