Which model to buy

Qballgeg

Reaction score
Grill
What to buy
I’ve owned a Masterbuilt and a Bradley....looking at a Traeger. Timberline is not in the picture. We are a retired couple who likes to cook. Looking for guidance from owners on what would be a good model that would kind of be the best of all worlds, recognizing that perhaps some upgrades aren’t really that necessary. Currently considering the Pro 575 as I have seen a lot of issues with the Ironwood Series. Not interested in purchasing a $1,000 problem. I’d rather give up some frills and get something that is worry free, unless the ‘issues’ I am seeing have been corrected. I like the WiFi and digital temps, but not mandatory..... any guidance would be appreciated....

azjim66

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
Costco has the Silverton 620 which is what I just bought for $699. I think it is slightly bigger than the Pro 575 has the wifire the new controller and comes with a cover. Did my first batch of baby backs using the 3-2-1 more like 3-3-1 and they came out awesome. I had a much larger Century 34 so was concerned if this would be big enough but I had all 3 racks of ribs on there.

OP
OP
Q

Qballgeg

Reaction score
Grill
What to buy
Costco has the Silverton 620 which is what I just bought for $699. I think it is slightly bigger than the Pro 575 has the wifire the new controller and comes with a cover. Did my first batch of baby backs using the 3-2-1 more like 3-3-1 and they came out awesome. I had a much larger Century 34 so was concerned if this would be big enough but I had all 3 racks of ribs on there.
Any problems with setup? Did you purchase in-store or shipped from online purchase? My nearest Costco is 90 miles....

azjim66

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
Any problems with setup? Did you purchase in-store or shipped from online purchase? My nearest Costco is 90 miles....
I picked it up in store. I think they add $100 to ship it. It is heavy. Assembly is super easy but you will need help uprighting it . The hood had a small dent and a slight crack in the back corner..of course I didn't see it until I had it all put together. I considered returning but due to the weight I called Traeger and they quickly shipped me a replacement hood which should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. It is a very nice grill and I like the new style vs the old barrel style. No luck yet getting the wifi to work but haven't put much effort into it either. Here is what 3 racks of baby backs looks on it.

0627201950_HDR.jpg

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I’ve owned a Masterbuilt and a Bradley....looking at a Traeger. Timberline is not in the picture. We are a retired couple who likes to cook. Looking for guidance from owners on what would be a good model that would kind of be the best of all worlds, recognizing that perhaps some upgrades aren’t really that necessary. Currently considering the Pro 575 as I have seen a lot of issues with the Ironwood Series. Not interested in purchasing a $1,000 problem. I’d rather give up some frills and get something that is worry free, unless the ‘issues’ I am seeing have been corrected. I like the WiFi and digital temps, but not mandatory..... any guidance would be appreciated....

Welcome to the forum! I've had the Ironwood 650 for over a year now and it's been great. There were some temp issues in the beginning, but I think Traeger has them ironed out now ?

The new Silverton 620 definitely looks like the best bang for the buck. It might be worth the drive. I like the cabinet design, plus you get the front shelf and cover.

isaiahfranco

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 810
I’m a big fan of my Silverton 810. It has all the bells and whistles of the Ironwood. I even think that the thermocouple is in a better location compared to the Ironwood. Ordered from Costco.com and got 4 bags of pellets for $50 with it.

Jmthornt

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I have the Pro 575. Two months now and no issues. I’m cooking more and more on it but average two times a week. This is my first pellet grill. The WiFi wasn’t something I really thought I needed, but now that I have it, love it. Size wise, there is ample cooking space for my wife and I and my two kids when home. Large family get togethers, I have additional grills. The ironwood series looks nice, and I’m not sure you would have any more issues with that line over the pro. Personally I thinks it’s just luck of the draw. I myself couldn’t justify the extra $4-500. But again, that’s my opinion. The pro 22 and 34 are the older versions without WiFi and a slightly different drive. But people love. I will tell you a couple of things I’ve noticed, if you like smoke.... the higher temp you cook, the less smoke. So I got a smoke tube and made without a doubt, the best smoked chicken I’ve ever made. And I’m 52 and have been grilling and smoking for most of my life. Lol. Whatever model you choose, I don’t think you’ll go wrong. Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Jmthornt

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Thanks guys for your input.... I drove 90 miles to Costco today and bought the Silverton 620. Will assemble tomorrow....looking forward to the adventure....
Disregard My previous post, I see you what you chose. Still learning how to navigate the forum. I dont think you’ll be disappointed In your choice. ??

Dzacco

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 570
Thanks guys for your input.... I drove 90 miles to Costco today and bought the Silverton 620. Will assemble tomorrow....looking forward to the adventure....
I'm jealous. That's what I should have bought.

Latest Discussions