Traeger app problems and gripes

V0latyle

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
Bought a Silverton 620 from Costco a few weeks ago. I'm brand new to pellet grills and smoking but I'm pretty tech savvy. I haven't had any problem joining the controller to my WiFi network or pairing it with the app. However, I've come across a couple issues that I'm wondering might be common:

* Timers and meat probe alarms only work on the controller itself. I can set them from the app, but I never get any notification or alarm on my phone. I've made sure notification permissions are enabled, but looking at my notification history, it doesn't look like the Traeger app has actually generated any. The beeper on the grill works fine. Are the notifications working for anyone else?

* Beyond using recipes, I haven't found a way to upload a custom recipe or cook cycle. Is this possible? You would think that using your phone for remote control, you'd be able to set whatever schedule you want - for example 200° for 3 hours, then automatically go to 400 for 30 minutes. If this isn't possible using the Traeger app, is there a third party solution available?

Bought a Silverton 620 from Costco a few weeks ago. I'm brand new to pellet grills and smoking but I'm pretty tech savvy. I haven't had any problem joining the controller to my WiFi network or pairing it with the app. However, I've come across a couple issues that I'm wondering might be common:

* Timers and meat probe alarms only work on the controller itself. I can set them from the app, but I never get any notification or alarm on my phone. I've made sure notification permissions are enabled, but looking at my notification history, it doesn't look like the Traeger app has actually generated any. The beeper on the grill works fine. Are the notifications working for anyone else?

* Beyond using recipes, I haven't found a way to upload a custom recipe or cook cycle. Is this possible? You would think that using your phone for remote control, you'd be able to set whatever schedule you want - for example 200° for 3 hours, then automatically go to 400 for 30 minutes. If this isn't possible using the Traeger app, is there a third party solution available?
I get an alarm sound on my phone and on the controller. It’s not the best. It only have 2 or 3 beeps for the alarm on the phone. I think the same on the control Box. Not usable if your away from your phone doing something else and the alarm goes off. You can easily forget or get distracted. I’ll also set my phone alarm on as a backup. If you have a 3rd party temp probe I would check the temp and compare to the Traeger temp probe. Otherwise enjoy your new T grill.

Edit: FYI I exchanged my 620 for the larger 885. I bought my 620 from Costco 3 weeks ago. There’s a minor issue with it when I first cleaned the grill. Here’s the link I posted. Good luck with your new 620. I had a great time with mine when I had it. Actually I still have it. Thats another story. Lol.
https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/costco’s-silverton-620-820-issue.2939/

Last edited:
Beyond using recipes, I haven't found a way to upload a custom recipe or cook cycle. Is this possible?
No

is there a third party solution available?
No

You would think that using your phone for remote control, you'd be able to set whatever schedule you want - for example 200° for 3 hours, then automatically go to 400 for 30 minutes

I never would even if it worked, I like keeping an eye on my cook and nothing is "buy the book" in the BBQ world. It's just as easy to use your Traeger APP and boost it to 400 whenever you want in about 15 seconds.

Latest Discussions

Back