Timberline Series 850

Yea, I get it. Don’t give up. It took me four tries over four months, face time with Traeger to prove I wasn’t scamming them. When I finally got on there” we’d better take care of this or we will end up having to get him a new grill” list, things rolled like butter. Even got overnight two new controllers. I’m going to call them now shjen I have time and ask them why I wasn’t sent an upgraded controller with an antennae.
I don't know for sure but I believe that the Gen1 units may be AC powered directly. The Gen2 units are DC powered thru a power module like a laptop. It is likely that they didn't update the antenna hardware of the Gen1 controllers.

Update to the update. Called the place my wife bought this thing and told them to come pick it up. NOW new controller will be here Friday. Although no tracking email as I check now that I got home. Sad. Looked at the top line Yoder but think I'll tell em to come get it if it's not here Friday and order another from my local Ace. Keep the $$ in town. Like that 10 year warranty/made in the USA on the Yoder but don't really like the rack set up.

Update to the update. Called the place my wife bought this thing and told them to come pick it up. NOW new controller will be here Friday. Although no tracking email as I check now that I got home. Sad. Looked at the top line Yoder but think I'll tell em to come get it if it's not here Friday and order another from my local Ace. Keep the $$ in town. Like that 10 year warranty/made in the USA on the Yoder but don't really like the rack set up.
I like the Yoder grills as well. The warranty from what I understand is 10 years, but not on all components. Some of the components are far less than that. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0deXTE5oC8cz-QiSYX2BvH
Not that the grill would be an issue even without a warranty. They are well made
Have you looked at RecTec's at all? Their warranty is 6 years I think, and it is on all components. They are assembled in the US. But I think some parts are off shore.
Good luck with getting your grill sorted out. My next grill will be either a Yoder or RecTec

Last edited:
All this controller talk, my replacement controller (replaced because the temp select knob was intermittent when turning) seems to have a WiFi problem. Signal drops from the normal -25db down to -70db (I have an access point 6ft away just for this area). It's doing this consistently after about 20-30min of operation. It's 65-70F outside so it's not a heat issue.

I'm in the middle of a Meat Church recipe, "Weekday Brisket" 24hr cook so I can't play around with it. My Fireboard2 thermometer has full signal bars, and I can monitor everything from its app.

On top of this, I located a Fireboard grate probe next to the Traeger dome probe. The recipe calls for 190F Super Smoke, Grill needs to be set to 175F, Trager Reads 175F, Fireboard reads 190F. I tend to believe the Fireboard but I guess I'll set temps to split the difference and will use a water bath to check the probes accuracy later.

On to service in the morning!

Edit, spoke with service just now, this was a level 1, they can't approve controllers, 24 hours before they go thru engineering at least. I was clear, I need a new controller for the failing WiFi signal, and a thermocouple for the temp issue. We'll see what happens next.

Meanwhile, the grill set at 175F held steady at 190F (measured with Fireboard2) all night. It typically managed +/- 3 degrees even with super smoke on. The Brisket looks beautiful and is now wrapped in butcher paper for the rest of the cook.

Last edited:
Good Lord hope you got the fireBoard 2 from them for free. Big time $$$$$ grill and you have to spend what 189.00 for a temp monitor? Well calling today AGAIN on my controller replacement. No tracking number sent to my email, supposed to be here tomorrow after FIGHTING with them for week. Called the dealer and the Traeger Rep. was on the phone. Left my name and number. I'm sure she's making calls as I write this. Any help with this grill I have received from this forum with thanks to RemE. We'll see.

Man love this setup as far as racks go over others and would like to add RemE's shelfs for a real finish but come on Traeger really????
10 minutes no call back....not good.

Good Lord hope you got the fireBoard 2 from them for free. Big time $$$$$ grill and you have to spend what 189.00 for a temp monitor? Well calling today AGAIN on my controller replacement. No tracking number sent to my email, supposed to be here tomorrow after FIGHTING with them for week. Called the dealer and the Traeger Rep. was on the phone. Left my name and number. I'm sure she's making calls as I write this. Any help with this grill I have received from this forum with thanks to RemE. We'll see.

Man love this setup as far as racks go over others and would like to add RemE's shelfs for a real finish but come on Traeger really????
10 minutes no call back....not good.
Hang in there!

I got the fireboard because us tech types LOVE to measure things, and the Fireboard has 6 channels of logging bliss. Here's the progress on tonight's brisket project.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 2.16.23 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 2.16.23 PM.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 29
Hang in there!

I got the fireboard because us tech types LOVE to measure things, and the Fireboard has 6 channels of logging bliss. Here's the progress on tonight's brisket project.
Was the grill temp drop from opening the door to wrap? About the 9:27 mark
I am looking forward to trying mine out this weekend

Was the grill temp drop from opening the door to wrap? About the 9:27 mark
I am looking forward to trying mine out this weekend
Yup, put out the paper, opened the door, pulled the brisket onto the paper, wrapped and back in.
It's interesting that at low temps the Fireboard reads 15F higher than the controller, but at 250F they are about equal reads.

Yup, put out the paper, opened the door, pulled the brisket onto the paper, wrapped and back in.
It's interesting that at low temps the Fireboard reads 15F higher than the controller, but at 250F they are about equal reads.
I am interested to see how much mine is out.
I know even after calibrating my meat probe, it was 14 degrees out at 190 F. Dead on at 32F. Not sure how you compensate an offset for that. I did a 14 degree offset when it was cooking. And then tested 32F after and it was way out.
Had to adjust it the opposite way +4 degrees.
Hence my move to a fireboard. Plus I like that it can control my Komado fan as well. All at the same time as running the Traeger and probes in it.

Good info here. Man that fireboard is killer. Ok dealer just called and said they have a board for me. Antenna is on the board I say no that is a G1 board and I have a G2 they say no it's the board for my 850. And the factory rep told me the same thing and RemE saved me with the ant. location. Man these people.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back