Timberline 1300 Super Smoke mode not holding temperature

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300, Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis
Hey my first post. I just bought a new Timberline 1300 and did my first 5 grills with two different pellets. No issues and Super Smoke mode work with no hitches.

Today I decided to completely clean the grill with shop vac, switched pellets to cherry for first time and am currently trying to super smoke two ducks lower rack at 225. I am having trouble achieving 225. It seems to be hanging around 210-215. I did bump grill up to 275 no issue then drop it back to 225 super smoke mode and it’s still around 212. What am I doing wrong?

As a matter of background I did re-prime auger after cleaning. Also when I first turned it on it went into some cleaning mode which freaked me out since it was incredibly Smokey (thought maybe it was a fire) so I shut it done and restarted the process. I also see some note holding temps in cold weather is a problem but it’s 54 degrees outside. It is a little windy but imagine this is an issue. Some say to check the door seal but it appears fine.

Again I super smoked 5 other things last week when I bought the grill in much colder temps and it was around d 223-227. Any ideas?

OP
OP
DarienJim

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
No sooner did I post this it climbed to 223-224 after an hour. Again not sure what is going on tonight.

Steeleshark2

Reaction score
I haven’t seen anything but I have a theory to what is happening. You changed the pellets to a different wood type. Cherry most likely burns different. I think the PID has to learn on how many pellets are needed over a period of time to maintain temps. It is easier to maintain temps at higher temps as pellets burn quicker in general. When at lower temps, I believe it could be harder. Just a theory.

RoadRunner18

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300; Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000
I recommend you check the actual ambient temperature of your grill against what your controller is showing. On my 1300, the actual temperature is 8-9 degrees hotter than what the controller is showing. I use a FireBoard II to check actual ambient temperature.

My 1300 only fluctuates a few degrees either way once it reaches target temperature. Once I know actual temperature as shown on my FireBoard I can adjust my controller to reach my target temperature.

OP
OP
DarienJim

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
I haven’t seen anything but I have a theory to what is happening. You changed the pellets to a different wood type. Cherry most likely burns different. I think the PID has to learn on how many pellets are needed over a period of time to maintain temps. It is easier to maintain temps at higher temps as pellets burn quicker in general. When at lower temps, I believe it could be harder. Just a theory.
I bet that was it. After an hour it finally hung between 220-227. But it was a worrisome first hour.

OP
OP
DarienJim

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
I recommend you check the actual ambient temperature of your grill against what your controller is showing. On my 1300, the actual temperature is 8-9 degrees hotter than what the controller is showing. I use a FireBoard II to check actual ambient temperature.

My 1300 only fluctuates a few degrees either way once it reaches target temperature. Once I know actual temperature as shown on my FireBoard I can adjust my controller to reach my target temperature.
Good idea and I’ll invest in one.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions