Thermocouple tip disintegrated

bluecrab

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I was cleaning my Ironwood 885 today after an overnight cook and attempted to gently push the thermocouple tip back to the center of the tube that it's mounted in... as soon as I grasped the tip, it disintegrated into a powdery substance leaving only the very tip intact. I have to assume that this was some type of protective coating and now the bare thermocouple is exposed. I called Traeger and they are sending me a new (free) replacement under warranty (part number is KIT0422).

Anyone else have this happen to them?

IMG_1650.jpeg

Tania

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
This just happened to me today and they are sending out a replacement but not until the end of November. I’m wondering what that little black tip was and if I can just do a repair until the parts come in. For now I crumbled foil to cover it.
DBB951EA-8635-4436-830D-05B878A2E844.jpeg

GrillMeister

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
Mine did that months ago. I'm still cooking with it, but I'll have to get it replaced now since it's deemed a defect.

Placement (poor design from a usability standpoint) makes me wonder since the grid below it is movable and that is mostly likely the culprit to bump it. I've been OCD about it ever since seeing it that condition.

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
I was cleaning my Ironwood 885 today after an overnight cook and attempted to gently push the thermocouple tip back to the center of the tube that it's mounted in... as soon as I grasped the tip, it disintegrated into a powdery substance leaving only the very tip intact. I have to assume that this was some type of protective coating and now the bare thermocouple is exposed. I called Traeger and they are sending me a new (free) replacement under warranty (part number is KIT0422).

Anyone else have this happen to them?

View attachment 2512
Mine was sticking out like that and they deemed it defective. I waited 4 weeks for the replacement to arive.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I get it that having the thermocouple exposed gives the fastest response time which helps the controller fight lag time and temp overshoots. That said, it needs to be sheltered, it's beyond me why they don't have a shield on them.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850

Latest Discussions