Thermocouple tip disintegrated

bluecrab

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I was cleaning my Ironwood 885 today after an overnight cook and attempted to gently push the thermocouple tip back to the center of the tube that it's mounted in... as soon as I grasped the tip, it disintegrated into a powdery substance leaving only the very tip intact. I have to assume that this was some type of protective coating and now the bare thermocouple is exposed. I called Traeger and they are sending me a new (free) replacement under warranty (part number is KIT0422).

Anyone else have this happen to them?

IMG_1650.jpeg

This just happened to me today and they are sending out a replacement but not until the end of November. I’m wondering what that little black tip was and if I can just do a repair until the parts come in. For now I crumbled foil to cover it.
DBB951EA-8635-4436-830D-05B878A2E844.jpeg

Mine did that months ago. I'm still cooking with it, but I'll have to get it replaced now since it's deemed a defect.

Placement (poor design from a usability standpoint) makes me wonder since the grid below it is movable and that is mostly likely the culprit to bump it. I've been OCD about it ever since seeing it that condition.

I was cleaning my Ironwood 885 today after an overnight cook and attempted to gently push the thermocouple tip back to the center of the tube that it's mounted in... as soon as I grasped the tip, it disintegrated into a powdery substance leaving only the very tip intact. I have to assume that this was some type of protective coating and now the bare thermocouple is exposed. I called Traeger and they are sending me a new (free) replacement under warranty (part number is KIT0422).

View attachment 2512
Mine was sticking out like that and they deemed it defective. I waited 4 weeks for the replacement to arive.

I get it that having the thermocouple exposed gives the fastest response time which helps the controller fight lag time and temp overshoots. That said, it needs to be sheltered, it's beyond me why they don't have a shield on them.

View attachment 2512
It happen to my Traeger 575 pro I used it twice the thermocouple melted I smoked a brisket for 16 hours I was cleaning my grill Sunday morning and noticed the thermocouple melted I bought some of that fiberglass stove gasket cement pit it on my thermocouple and it works awesome my temperature is rite on the money I made it look like a new thermocouple same shape same
Size it worked great

It happens to my Traeger 575 pro used it twice my thermocouple melted bought some stove gasket cement pit it on my thermocouple made it look like a new one same shape same size my temperature is on the money easy fix

View attachment 2512
Happened to me yesterday.

The same thing just happened to me. This is a clear design issue, and certainly the placement of the sensor is not ideal. But something to protect the tip that isn't affected by the heat would be better. Many examples of other manufacturers have metal casings.

Latest Discussions

Back