Probe reads 15-30 degrees higher than actual.

That’s what we’ve been trying to tell you...
Use the Thermoworks to check temps, and then use the Traeger app to set the temp you want...
I usually place one ambient probe next to the protein, and that way, I can set the temp (using Traeger app) to make it read what I want.

That’s what we’ve been trying to tell you...
Use the Thermoworks to check temps, and then use the Traeger app to set the temp you want...
I usually place one ambient probe next to the protein, and that way, I can set the temp (using Traeger app) to make it read what I want.
(y)

I use an FB ambient probe next to the Traeger ambient probe (these are usually fairly close, then I use a FB competition probe on the meat to get the IT required , just set the Traeger meat probe to set an application alarm for when the meat is getting close to the real set point

My Traeger meat probe is filed away with the literature that came with the grill.

So I am underway. Deleted off set on Traeger probe. Having a meat temp ussue with Signals probe so i am verfying with the Mk4.

The Signals air temp beside the meat is now reading 235 degrees F while the Traeger set temp has been reduced to 215. The Signals was showing over 240. Since the plan was for 225 ‘degrees, I think I have to adjust the Traeger set temp to a point that the actual air temp beside the meat is 225. Is that correct thinking?

So I am underway. Deleted off set on Traeger probe. Having a meat temp ussue with Signals probe so i am verfying with the Mk4.

The Signals air temp beside the meat is now reading 235 degrees F while the Traeger set temp has been reduced to 215. The Signals was showing over 240. Since the plan was for 225 ‘degrees, I think I have to adjust the Traeger set temp to a point that the actual air temp beside the meat is 225. Is that correct thinking?
Yup, that's the current thinking.

Yup, that's the current thinking.
Due to over ten degree temp swings, should I bring the average to under 225 so as to not rush the cook? I think longer time at a slightly lower temp is the goal?

Last edited:
Traeger states that your grill temp will fluctuate, + or - 25f is acceptable. So set temp at your Signal themometer to 225f and you should be fine.

Traeger states that your grill temp will fluctuate, + or - 25f is acceptable. So set temp at your Signal themometer to 225f and you should be fine.

And, maybe too much attention is paid to grill temp when it's NEVER about "time" in the grill, it's about when the meat reaches edible standards IT ... I also think + or - 25° is acceptable!!
Only TIMMY is the King of timing, I know I'm not... "babe, stop naggin me, it'll be done when it's done dammit"

too much attention is paid to grill temp when it's NEVER about "time" in the grill, it's about when the meat reaches edible standards IT ... I also think + or - 25° is acceptable!!
Yep don't over think it, ditch the traeger meat probe, measure temp with a third party ambient probe at the meat (my preference), adjust traeger temb to match your target temp, and use third party meat probe to reach desired IT temp.

Works every time.

Still cooking but I moved air temp probes. One is just to the right front of the meat about 8” from right side where pellets are. It is reading 227 degrees. One is alongside of the meat in the middle io the piece on the side closest to the back if the grill. It is reading 239 degrees. The third is at the left edge of the meatl closest to the chimney which js about 14” away. It is reading 266 degrees.

So my grill seems to get hotter going from right to left. The fire pot is about center. I think the inclined plane drip platform is supposed to encourage hot air to go upwards to the right towards the pellet storage.

It would make sense to flap the meat over every so often to balance the temperature exposure at each end.

Last edited:
Forgot to say Traeger is set on 245 degrees in the display put temps go hp and down.

I am having issues seeing the letters on cell phone since cataract surgery.

Last edited:
Forgot to say Traeger is set on 245 degrees in the displat put temps go hp and down

have issues seeing the letters on cell phone since cataract surgery.
What is internal temp on meat?

I was headed for 165 degrees in the meat for the first part of the cook supposedly at 225 degrees F. Neither meat probe worked properly (Traeger supplied and ThermoWorks Signals meat probe) so was using a Thermapen MK4. I got out a spare MK4 out and tested with it so I then had two temperatures that agreed.

When the meat temperature reached 165 degrees, it was brought inside and placed into a two sheet aluminum foil blanket along with the ½ cup of beef broth. The package then went back onto the grill until the temperature hit about 204 degrees when it was brought inside to rest and carve.

I was headed for 165 degrees in the meat for the first part of the cook supposedly at 225 degrees F. Neither meat probe worked properly (Traeger supplied and ThermoWorks Signals meat probe) so was using a Thermapen MK4. I got out a spare MK4 out and tested with it so I then had two temperatures that agreed.

When the meat temperature reached 165 degrees, it was brought inside and placed into a two sheet aluminum foil blanket along with the ½ cup of beef broth. The package then went back onto the grill until the temperature hit about 204 degrees when it was brought inside to rest and carve.
How long was your total cook?

Back