Pro 575 - Welder’s blanket for insulation?

tony4402

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Saw on a Traeger group on Facebook that some have used a welders blanket for insulation vs the custom fitted Traeger blanket. They report it works great and is significantly lower cost. Anyone here using one? Right size for a Pro 575? 3x3? 6x4?

I have a welders blanket that is 6x8 for my Ironwood 650. I fold it in half and I have a wool thermal fire resistant blanket in the middle of it. I'm in the process of adding magnets and sewing the corners of the blanket so it will stay in place when in use. From my testing so far I'm good without it down to -6 celcius. I'm guessing the magic temp will be -10c and then it be needed.

I have a welders blanket that is 6x8 for my Ironwood 650. I fold it in half and I have a wool thermal fire resistant blanket in the middle of it. I'm in the process of adding magnets and sewing the corners of the blanket so it will stay in place when in use. From my testing so far I'm good without it down to -6 celcius. I'm guessing the magic temp will be -10c and then it be needed.
Cutting to size and fastening magnets is a great idea. For now I just use an old bed blanket if I'm just cooking at the normal 225-250, I just lay it on top. I haven't tried laying it on there at 300 though but I might tool with it.

Went ahead and got the 3x3 blanket I linked in the original post. Trimmed it down to 36” x 25” and bought some magnetic spring clips at Home Depot. Fits perfect. First cook with it on is going now (baby backs). I’m about an hour in and temps do seem to be more consistent. Only seeing fluctuations of +/- 4 degrees. Will update this when the cook is complete. Photos below

I think I must have stumbled across the same post as the OP because I ran to Harbor Freight and spent $22 on a 4’ x 6’ welders blanket. Folded in half it is about 6” wider than my Pro 575 and offers nice insulation. I plan on getting some good magnets to hold it in place.

Latest Discussions

Back