Pro 575 not achieving temperatures

I don't expect HD to take my grill back at this point. I hope Traeger gets this sorted out, because I do like the grill. I'll say this, its very consistent. It holds temps very well for me, and I've cooked some great stuff on it. Today did some candied bacon (extra thick and extra good!) and just pulled off some chicken wings. Its just inaccurate...very inaccurate...but consistently inaccurate. The only saving grace for me is the consistency. I just find the grill temp setting that gives me the grate temp I want and I'm good. The limitation is it won't reach 450. But I've been happy with steaks and burgers so far, just takes a little longer. Not defending the situation...if I had just bought it and had these issues, I'd return it. Whats the point of a temp controller thats wrong? And I have had family and co-workers ask about grills lately and have had to tell them I do not recommend the 575.
I hope they get this resolved, or I find a way (aluminum wrapper etc.) to get the grill probe to approximate the grate temp. I'd love to set it and forget it like I thought I was getting with this grill.

Again not bashing Traeger, I picked up a GMG Jim Bowie wifi last night. It is holding temps well. Definitely not off the mark. I checked it during burn in last night with a oven therm spot on at 350 degrees. Alot more cooking space vs. the 575 and holding temps well. Just letting you folks know who are looking for an option to the 575 issues. The pic on the right is the lid therm. Beer can chicken cooking right now! Have a great memorial day cook all.

View attachment 256View attachment 257

Glad you got something that finally worked! It's a shame Traeger had such a terrible release with new Pro575 and really failed to support their customers.

I'm taking mine back tomorrow and I ordered a RecTec Stampede yesterday. Grilling with charcoal this weekend I guess.

I follow RecTec on facebook and they have probably the best marketing I've ever seen. Super cool guys and their how-to grill videos are awesome. If you don't mind, let us know how that Stampede works for you.

Iam having the same issue. But I've had great success with CS with trying to help trouble shoot the problem. And of course nothing worked. Sent me a new RTD didnt fix the issue. Supposedly they are sending me a new thermostat but havent got it. Called and said orders been placed should ship this week. Fingers crossed that it ships and fixes the issue.

Talking with the CS rep. She said that she is flooded with calls about the 575 problems for the exact same issue. The CS reps dont have very much trouble shooting writups so they are being put in a bad position for when we call in asking for support. When she was reading off the TS list is was almost exactly like the one in the user manual..

After so many people telling me to get one because they absolutely love theirs I pulled the trigger a got one. Wishing I didnt now.

I’m having the same issue with the pro 575with a d2 controller. The ambient temperature is off from anywhere in a 40° to 60° from what the controller is reading. Called Traeger and talked to them. There sending a RTD but I imagine it’s the controller. They said if this doesn’t fix it than they will send a controller. They also said send a email and they collect all the data for review and assessment. I told him “This defendant seams like a bigger problem than a RTD and there comptrollers a crap.”.

Man this is ridiculous!!! Since I knew that the 575 is having cooking issues I figured I'd start my pork butts WAY WAY earlier so they could be done on time.. man was I wrong.

Started my two butts at 2am today and it is now 7pm and they still arent done.. this is insane! 16+ hours for a butt is unheard for me.

Yeah, that's crazy. What temp are you running? Wrapped?

Man this is ridiculous!!! Since I knew that the 575 is having cooking issues I figured I'd start my pork butts WAY WAY earlier so they could be done on time.. man was I wrong.

Started my two butts at 2am today and it is now 7pm and they still arent done.. this is insane! 16+ hours for a butt is unheard for me.

Both butts are not wrapped. I like the butts to power through the stall. But I've never had butts take this long.

See attached photo. Smoker set to 290 brings the actual cooking chamber at grill level to 250.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190526-190818_Traeger.jpg
    Screenshot_20190526-190818_Traeger.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190526_114626.jpg
    20190526_114626.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Did they finally make it to 190?!

Yeah man. The 1st on finally got done at 730 PM and the 2nd was done hour later.. 18 hours it took to smoke two butts.

Iam regretting getting this dang smoker when I use to cooker better times tending wood fires...

Both butts are not wrapped. I like the butts to power through the stall. But I've never had butts take this long.

See attached photo. Smoker set to 290 brings the actual cooking chamber at grill level to 250.
the temp is an average. check the grate temp next to the stack. it is much higher. i had my 780 set to 250. left side near stack was 270. right side was around 230 where i had my probe placed at just below the rtd.

I did a brisket Saturday, pizza yesterday, and doing burgers brats and sausages this eve. If you use external ambient probs you can cook at the temps you want but since the firmware update my temps have been close to what the controller on the grill says. Heck surprisingly it even got to 426 yesterday when I did Pizza. It’s not a bad grill. Just offset your temps until traeger gets the fix.

Attachments

• 46D26EDA-F35C-4A1C-B49F-4EF997F0F989.jpeg
    46D26EDA-F35C-4A1C-B49F-4EF997F0F989.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 125C842F-042D-4722-A548-E532E00500F8.jpeg
    125C842F-042D-4722-A548-E532E00500F8.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 106
I agree with johnmil 2000. Left side by the smoke stake is hotter than right side by RTD.

the temp is an average. check the grate temp next to the stack. it is much higher. i had my 780 set to 250. left side near stack was 270. right side was around 230 where i had my probe placed at just below the rtd.

I have tried temps in all 4 corners and down the center (left to right). At the grate level the temps are anywhere from 30 to 60 degrees cooler then what the smoker is set at.

Even with the firmware update my smoker doesnt run true. Most likely will be taking this thing back and get a full refund.. I may try an ironwood 650

I did a brisket Saturday, pizza yesterday, and doing burgers brats and sausages this eve. If you use external ambient probs you can cook at the temps you want but since the firmware update my temps have been close to what the controller on the grill says. Heck surprisingly it even got to 426 yesterday when I did Pizza. It’s not a bad grill. Just offset your temps until traeger gets the fix.

I've tried to offset the smoker from the start and I dont get smoke. It goes into a BBQ mode and wont produce a full smoke. If that makes sense

Back