Pro 22 shutdown

ChuckG

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 22
I have a Pro 22 and have had intermittent problems with temperature dropping off in middle of cooking. I then have to remove meet, turn off and let cool then restart. Most times that takes care of the problem but sometimes it shuts down again. Pellet auger is feeding pellets, but I get a lot of smoke coming from grill and pellet hopper when shutting down.

Once ignited, pellet grills are pretty basic, fuel feed and air supply.

250F is a good temp for a stable fire for sure, I would check the following;

1- Remove all pellets and vacuum out, look for crumbled pellets indicating moisture degradation. Be sure the auger is moving fresh clean pellets.

2- Fire Pot, deep clean, make sure all air entry holes in the sides are clear of any ash, and that the bottom is scraped clean of residue, especially around the hot rod ignitor. The fan pumps air around the auger (cooling it), around the firepot, and finally thu the holes and into the firepot to stoke the fire.

3- It wouldn't hurt to check under the hopper to make sure the fan inlet is clear of any insects etc.

Does the fan sound normal? I now do a quick vac of the firepot etc. fairly often to keep it running well, plus ash is corrosive so the less left lying around the better.

Hope that helps.

BTW, when I'm at 250F or higher, I see little smoke, and NEVER more smoke when shutting down. Sounds like poor air flow for some reason. Shutdown stops the auger, keeps the fan going, so remaining pellets burn up completely. Finally when done, it "burps" the auger to drop a few fresh pellets into the pot for the next ignition.

Yep all is cleaned well and fan sounds normal. I will check the fan inlet

Since it is pretty easy, I would also remove the 4 screws holding the firepot, gently lift up a bit and peek around the firepot with a light, look for any ash etc, that might have gone thru the holes.

If it's not air flow, then perhaps a binding and slow auger. Have you run it at 450F for a while to have the auger run fast and possibly help clear it better?

The smoking at shut down and smoke in the hopper (fire burning up the pellets in the auger tube) is the odd one, still seems like air flow, hmmm

Thanks I will check that

I have a Pro 22 and have had intermittent problems with temperature dropping off in middle of cooking. I then have to remove meet, turn off and let cool then restart. Most times that takes care of the problem but sometimes it shuts down again. Pellet auger is feeding pellets, but I get a lot of smoke coming from grill and pellet hopper when shutting down.
As a former owner of a Pro 22 the best thing I ever did was to upgrade to the Pro 575. I had all the problems you mentioned, nothing like the 22 going gangbusters in the heat range or just simply shutting down. I was sent a new controller board to install and a few problems disappeared. But not enough to convince me to keep it. Never had a problem with the 575 to date

As a former owner of a Pro 22 the best thing I ever did was to upgrade to the Pro 575. I had all the problems you mentioned, nothing like the 22 going gangbusters in the heat range or just simply shutting down. I was sent a new controller board to install and a few problems disappeared. But not enough to convince me to keep it. Never had a problem with the 575 to date

So far me too

I had the exact same problem. Treager sent a new controller, but that did nothing. They send a new temperature probe and that solved the issue. I used to have to babysit the grill the entire cook. Which sucked on very long cooks. Now I can have it run all night and go sleep and not worry about it.

thank you very much I plan on calling them this coming week before I plan to use it again

Latest Discussions

Back