Pellets Oils used in the pellet making process???

Nonurbiznes

Reaction score
Both my sister and her son are allergic to canola oil and the many many products that it is used in for the most part their system is just unable to process it giving them stomach pain. My mother has had a Traeger for a while, and we all love it so much that my sister got one for her family as well... About half way through every meal cooked on Traeger my sister begins to feel ill and her young son basically refuses to eat anything cooked on it even if it's something he normal likes, today finally following up on a hunch that she has had for a while, my sister did a bit of research on manufacturing process of the pellets ( so far only traeger brand pellets have been used) and she found out that food grade oil if used as a lubricant. Now the website she was on said the soy bean oil was used but from a vast amount of personal experience and research soy bean oil is interchangeable with numerous types of oil including but not limited to canola...

Now for the point of the post.

Are there any manufacturers that do not use oil during the making of their pellets, or that use one specific type of oil?

Thank you in advance for any information.

I've been using Lumber Jack pellets for a while. All real wood with no additives.

Hi there.

Although I'm an automation engineer I do have some organic chemistry knowledge. And wow that's a rare as hell allergy there!
Canola allergy's are caused by a protein in canola that is much more common in mustard plants. Proteins are pretty cool molecules.
But they are SUPER heat sensitive. Most proteins denature(they freak out and get all twisted up and become inactive) above 55c. Some
super strong proteins can remain stable to 120c like the toxin created by botulism.... But since wood starts to burn at temperatures WAYY
higher than that even if canola oil was used in making the pellets, it would be burnt off long before it the pellet even caught fire.

Traeger pellets are wood, just wood.. nothing else. So I'd tend to discount the actual pellets used to be responsible... Ya gotta remember
wood smoke is some ultra toxic stuff.. That's why smoking meats can be used to preserve things, the chemicals in wood smoke are deadly toxic
to lots of bacteria and moulds. I'd suspect it's one of those common smoke toxins that's giving them the problem. There's a nasty ass chemical called
Acrylamide present in almost all wood smokes and burnt foods. some people have a sensitivity to it.... If you wanna see if it's Acrylamide... burn the shit outa a steak in a pan (REALLY BURN IT A LOT) and see if that has the same effect on them..

And as the OP noted, soybean oil (sometimes infused with herbs or citrus according to Traeger's own claim).

Yep, looks like I'm wrong again... I've just been reading about that exact thing. Infact puts on my lawyer hat That's probably pretty illegal here in NZ. Compared to the USA, New Zealand has really tight consumer protection laws. Might report this to the Commerce Commission... Legally the labling should be "Apple flavored" or "Hickory Flavored". What sucks is that I'm stuck with Traeger pellets, noehere in New Zealand sells wood pellets other than Traeger or pine heating pellets. a few places sell GMG pellets, but they're almost twice the price and only 'blends'.... Having said that it's nice having something that tastes different to manuka(NZ Native hardwood) smoke. Literally everything here that is smoked is smoked with manuka. Don't get me wrong it's a very unique and delicious hardwood, but after a while it gets boring.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back