New traeger app for android, and the whole wifi problems starts over.

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
Yesterday i turn on my traeger and saw that i had a updated version of the app,, its now called 2.0.2

And the whole business of getting it to connect to wifi starts over, this is the 3 time i had to start all over to get it to connect.
And every time i succed, only to realize that traeger has updated the grill or app, and i have to redo the whole bloody thing.
I'm so freaking pissed of right now..
Spend most of the day trying to get it to connect to the wifi it was on monday... now it's weak signal can't connect.....
How the hell can it be a weak signal,, when it was connect to the same network 2 days ago...

It doesn't make any sence.!!!!! :(:(:(

SmokeyT

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Yesterday i turn on my traeger and saw that i had a updated version of the app,, its now called 2.0.2

And the whole business of getting it to connect to wifi starts over, this is the 3 time i had to start all over to get it to connect.
And every time i succed, only to realize that traeger has updated the grill or app, and i have to redo the whole bloody thing.
I'm so freaking pissed of right now..
Spend most of the day trying to get it to connect to the wifi it was on monday... now it's weak signal can't connect.....
How the hell can it be a weak signal,, when it was connect to the same network 2 days ago...

It doesn't make any sence.!!!!! :(:(:(

SmokeyT

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Sorry to hear your having problems...I have no problems hear connecting with 780 and I really like beIng able to reach temps over 500 now instead of 450 range

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
Your talking about the firmware update on the grill...
I'm talking about the app on the phone.

I'm already having the new firmware for the grill and running 500F, and was connect to the wifi with the new firmware.

But then the traeger app for my android phone updated, and now i'm back to square 1, trying to connect to the wifi.

SmokeyT

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Your talking about the firmware update on the grill...
I'm talking about the app on the phone.

I'm already having the new firmware for the grill and running 500F, and was connect to the wifi with the new firmware.

But then the traeger app for my android phone updated, and now i'm back to square 1, trying to connect to the wifi.
Apple here and no problems as of yet..maybe try to delete app and reload it..sorry you are having problems!!

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
Apple here and no problems as of yet..maybe try to delete app and reload it..sorry you are having problems!!
Already did that, twice.!
tried all the steps i did before to get it to connect, no dice this time..

Gary

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I have the new android app and it hit first time. I did have to sign out and back in for it to work properly.

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
I have the new android app and it hit first time. I did have to sign out and back in for it to work properly.
I did that, and deleted the app twice..
I'm still getting a "weak signal..." When I try to connect the grill to my WiFi. Was working fine before they updated the app.

Gary

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Well that just sucks!!
I'm still waiting for the firmware updates!!
Had some great ribs today so all is not a failure.

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
I ended up doing a factory reset. using this https://www.reddit.com/r/Traeger/comments/f4aq33
The firmware went back to V2.00.01, (i was on 2.01.00) but the grill still goes to 500F.?

Didn't do anything to my wifi connection issues, it will pick up any wifi in the area, but not the one its right next to.
Getting more and more frustrated, thinking about returning the unit and buying another brand.
But since its used now, its probably a no-go.

BlackBetsy

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I ended up doing a factory reset. using this https://www.reddit.com/r/Traeger/comments/f4aq33
The firmware went back to V2.00.01, (i was on 2.01.00) but the grill still goes to 500F.?

Didn't do anything to my wifi connection issues, it will pick up any wifi in the area, but not the one its right next to.
Getting more and more frustrated, thinking about returning the unit and buying another brand.
But since its used now, its probably a no-go.
Hello, and this solves the problem of the app using the Android operating system. Will this solution come from Traeger? I myself can no longer connect to WiFi with the app update. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
Hello, and this solves the problem of the app using the Android operating system. Will this solution come from Traeger? I myself can no longer connect to WiFi with the app update. Thanks.
It didn't work for me.
I also lost WiFi connection with the new app.

Joe

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I was having issues with connecting before the app update. The new update seems to be a lot better. No issues since the upgrade.

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
I was having issues with connecting before the app update. The new update seems to be a lot better. No issues since the upgrade.
Trying to make sense of the whole situation.
What firmware are you on?

I was on fimware 2.01.00 , then i resat the grill and it went back to firmware 2.00.1
None helped.
I haven't been able to connect to the wifi after the app updated to version 2.0.2
I'm on android.

Krish

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Had the same issue. Initially it was trying to get me to set up a device. Thinking it was a new device. But my original device was already connected....so I was trying to set up a new device for nothing. I gave up because it wouldn’t complete the setup. Turned on the app and my old device was on and working! And it works like it always did. And my WIFI signal has always been weak outside. But no issues. And I use an iPhone.

wleeb1010

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I just updated to 2.0.2 on android and 02.01.00 on the grill without a hitch. When I first bought my grill it would connect to my wifi with some app/fw combinations and not with others, it was driving me crazy! I finally broke down and purchased a wifi extender and plug it into the wall outlet in my breakfast nook, opposite side of the wall from my grill on the back porch. Since then, my app/fw issues have disappeared and have moved smoothly through them all from 1.4 forward.

My extender is a TP-Link AC750 dual band you can find on Amazon. I configured it in high speed mode which uses the 5ghz band for connecting to my home AP and 2.4ghz for connecting to the grill (only works if you have a dual band AP at home). Once in place and Traeger reconfigured to connect to the new extender SSID, my problems went away for good and it constantly gets a -43dbm signal, prior it would bounce between -75 and -90dbm. Sucks that I had to spend $28 to augment the poor wifi performance of the Traeger.

I wish you luck!

OP
OP
D

denmyos

Reaction score
Grill
pro 575
I´m ready to throw in the towel on this wifi issue.
And either run it without wifi, or return the unit.

What I have tried so far:
Everything was working fine before they updated the app (android), so i know it has nothing to do with my network.
When i ADD my grill, it cannot find my network, but it will find all my neighbours wifi.
My wifi is 2.4 ghz.

The closest neighbours is 25m away from the grill. When i stand next to the grill with my phone, it can easily find my network.
If i do a speedtest with my phone next to the grill i get 50mb and above, so no problems there.

1. delete the app, reinstalled the app.
2. unplugged the grill for days.
3 turn on the grill, but not touch the menu button.
4. resat the firmware on the grill, so its now 2.00.01 (it was 2.01.0) before.
5. restarted the grill, AND touch the menu button.
6 used QR code and manually

anybody have other idears!?

I'm losing my mind over this

wleeb1010

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
My problem was the same as yours and I was very resistant to buying an extender as I knew my wifi was sound. I got a great sigmal with my phone standing next to my grill. At my wits end, I purchased an extender on Amazon as I knew I could return it if it did not work. To my surprise it resolved my problem.

I suspect the problem is not with your AP but the placement of the ESP WiFi chip on the control board of the Traeger. It is mounted in the ALL metal housing of the pellet hopper without an external antenna. Not much you can do to improve it but move the AP closer to the grill (which should not be the case for normal well engineer WiFi devices, unfortunately the Pro 575 is not one of them or they would have added an external antenna).

tonyaz

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I think it is a mediocre smoker and a mediocre grill. The main issue is the absolutely clueless implementation of the app and wifi! If you dont mind doing as much screwing around with getting it to work as cooking, I'd give it a 5/10

I'm very close to just giving mine away....to someone I dont like much.

Latest Discussions