New guy with new to me pro34

massyferg

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
Hey guys I’m from nor cal. I just picked up this pro34 ( or that’s what I have been told it is as someone removed the sticker ). I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1633.jpeg
    IMG_1633.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 29
Welcome to the forum! 🍻 Let us know how the first cook goes!

Here are a couple of pieces of advice I give to newcomers that will minimize frustrations with your early cooks.

1. Never trust the Traeger temperature readings. Many of us have found these temperatures to be unreliable. Always verify the cooking temperature and the internal temperature of the protein using 3rd party temperature probes that you know are accurate.

2. Never cook to time and temperature as shown in recipes. Every cook is different depending upon the size of the cook, the moisture content, and the ambient temperature and humidity, etc. Test the internal temperature of your items using an instant read thermometer and pull them off when the correct internal temperature has been achieved. The times shown in a recipe are for planning purposes, not for execution.

Hey guys I’m from nor cal. I just picked up this pro34 ( or that’s what I have been told it is as someone removed the sticker ). I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you guys.
Yes thats a Pro 34. Be sure and use high quality pellets. I had some early on problems with long smokes and started sifting the dust from the pellets. If you have dust build up it will smother out the flame. I’ve had a mountain of pellet buildup that looked like a volcano on 2 occasions and haven’t had an issue since I’ve started using a good quality pellets. I’ve found that Bear Mountain is a good pellet. Good luck

Yes thats a Pro 34. Be sure and use high quality pellets. I had some early on problems with long smokes and started sifting the dust from the pellets. If you have dust build up it will smother out the flame. I’ve had a mountain of pellet buildup that looked like a volcano on 2 occasions and haven’t had an issue since I’ve started using a good quality pellets. I’ve found that Bear Mountain is a good pellet. Good luck

Since Traeger is located on the West Coast and Bear Mountain in in Wisconsin, pellet quality may vary out there. I am in Illinois and found the Traeger pellets to be quite dusty, but they were probably handled quite a few times in transit. I find the Bear Mountain pellets to be less dusty.

Traeger moved from the West Coast (Oregon) in 2016 to Utah. Everything Traeger now is Utah, China and Vietnam.

Traeger moved from the West Coast (Oregon) in 2016 to Utah. Everything Traeger now is Utah, China and Vietnam.
Although Utah does have forest land, 2/3s of it are softwoods such as Juniper, spruce, fir, and pine that are not suitable for cooking pellets. Thus, Traeger is likely still sourcing hardwood from California, Oregon and Washington state.

As someone who has never lived west of the Mississippi River, I still consider Utah to be West Coast, although technically it is not along the ocean.

Back