New 850 (2019 version) owner, howdy!

RemE

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Just replaced my trusty Junior grill after many many years of good service. We love the wood fired food so much that I decided to spring for the 850 this time around as this is the only way to grill. It is the vista cruiser of grills for sure, I could barely assemble it alone, it weighs a TON. I'm really impressed with just how well thought out the unit is. The double insulation and sealed door is night and day better that what I've been using. Having 4 wheels is also a real help as I need to move mine around.

Here are my observations;
1 - What firmware is current? I called both numbers in the manual for Traeger support, The main number yielded a call center with someone with basically no technical ability. I then called the WiFire number and they seemed to be reading the same script, they were also non technical. I was asking about push notifications to my phone, that the messages were quite delayed, like 5-10 minutes. They had no clue, told me to update the firmware by leaving the grill plugged in on standby. I read in the forum about Wi-Fi signal strength, in my grill location it was -60db, I had a spare access point sitting around so added it to that corner of the house, now I have -21db very strong signal. Current firmware on my unit reads SW VER 01.01.00, CONFIG VER 08.001 but I don't know what is "current". The support girl mentioned 02.000 which doesn't make much sense. I'll leave it plugged it for a couple of days just in case to see what happens.

2 - Cooking, after the initial burn -in, startup seems to take just about 15min. As far as I can tell, the grill beeps when start-up temp is reached BUT it doesn't send a push notification, this would be very helpful as that's what WiFire is all about!
First cook was a reverse sear Tri-Tip with super smoke. I used the internal probe and found that you must set an alarm on the grill itself, setting a probe temp in the app does NOT alarm when the temp is reached. The super smoke worked great, love to hear that fan cycling. Then up to 500 degrees for the sear, again it worked great and the meat was awesome!
Second cook was boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs with dry rub. With my old Junior grill this was a 30min cook at 350F with great sizzling action. The 850 experience was completely different. The Junior ran hotter on the bottom to keep the set temp because it "leaked" heat everywhere. The 850 held a solid reading of 350F but at this temp the chicken (on bottom rack at lowest position) was not sizzling at all. I upped the temp to 385F and cooked longer, used a fast thermometer to check till done. The chicken was awesome but I will need to dial-in the best temp on the 850 to get back to my 30min routine, looks like it will be closer to 400F setting. I love the grill so far, the double insulation makes it quiet and consistent for sure.

3- WiFire, need to play with this more. I was at the grill and it beeped about low pellets, it was at 25%. I grabbed a new bag and found that the hopper could hold the whole bag on top of the stated 25%. The pellet level then read 100% but strangely, 10 minutes later I get a push notification to my phone that the pellet level is at 25%. Not sure what's up with the long delay but that's what prompted my call to Traeger. I found their support to be very disappointing, their call center folks seemed to not even know what was printed in the manual, let alone provide any additional expertise. Giving this kind of service 7day 365 is pointless, I'd settle for an expert with limited hours! Anyhow I decided to pump up my Wi-Fi coverage to the grill location to give the 850 solid signal.

All-in-all I love the unbelievable build quality of this grill, the internal grease pan, no smoke stack, huge pellet hopper with pellet level, quiet sealed cooking chamber, ultra heavy duty stainless grill grates, cutting board, and Wi-Fi connectivity, basically every wish I had for a next gen grill. So far I'm a happy camper.

I am having the same issues with delayed notifications. Mine role in the next day about 12 hours too late. I have been in contact with support for two weeks and they have no clue and claim to say no one else is having the issues. AppStore reviews are filled with other people experiencing the same delay. Phone service is excellent and have also tried on my wife’s, brothers and fathers phones and all have same issue.

Traeger is aware of the app issues. I have been on them since mid April. It's costly to revise apps and time consuming. They say that have communicated to the developer but I think it will take some time for them to resolve. I have got to the point that I don't use the app much. Most of my cooks are set the temp and let er roll. I use my fireboard to monitor the pit and meat temps for now till they figure it out. I know it is frustrating....

Just purchased a Timberline 850 last weekend myself. This is my first Traeger. After researching and agonizing over features and cost I went to the local Ace Hardware to buy the Ironwood 885 ($1399) but as I was browsing I saw that the Timberline 850 was priced at $1399 (usually priced at $1699). The salesman told me they were clearing out the old models for the new ones. I decided to pull the trigger on the Timberline and drove over to the warehouse to pick it up. When I got there they told me that they were out of the old model so they substituted the new 2019 model ($1799) with the D2 controller. I got the model I wanted and saved $400! To say that I was pleased is understatement. I smoked a brisket the next day. Gonna try 3-2-1 baby back ribs tomorrow.

Just purchased a Timberline 850 last weekend myself. This is my first Traeger. After researching and agonizing over features and cost I went to the local Ace Hardware to buy the Ironwood 885 ($1399) but as I was browsing I saw that the Timberline 850 was priced at $1399 (usually priced at $1699). The salesman told me they were clearing out the old models for the new ones. I decided to pull the trigger on the Timberline and drove over to the warehouse to pick it up. When I got there they told me that they were out of the old model so they substituted the new 2019 model ($1799) with the D2 controller. I got the model I wanted and saved $400! To say that I was pleased is understatement. I smoked a brisket the next day. Gonna try 3-2-1 baby back ribs tomorrow.

You got a screaming deal there! I went to get mine at my local ACE store on Traeger Day, they had a coupon for a free cover, but it didn't have the timberline listed!!! As and added poke in the eye, ACE sends me a coupon a couple of weeks later with the free cover now listed. I went into the store and cried foul but no joy.

So, I buy their premium grill and got NOTHING but a bad vibe over the whole process, thanks Traeger!

You got a screaming deal there! I went to get mine at my local ACE store on Traeger Day, they had a coupon for a free cover, but it didn't have the timberline listed!!! As and added poke in the eye, ACE sends me a coupon a couple of weeks later with the free cover now listed. I went into the store and cried foul but no joy.

So, I buy their premium grill and got NOTHING but a bad vibe over the whole process, thanks Traeger!
That does suck. They gave me the free cover, some Traeger Apricot sauce, a bag of signature pellets and I am supposed to get a free instant thermometer as well but they were out. I am supposed to get a call when they have them again. I never get deals like this but as they say, timing is everything.

Back