Need help with wings

Flatlander

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi. I need some advice for crisping up the skin on my wings. So far I've tried starting at 225° and then finishing off at 375° but the skin is still rubbery. I'm doing a dry rub. Should I crank the heat up some more? I'm grilling to an internal temp of more than 170°. Thanks

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Hi. I need some advice for crisping up the skin on my wings. So far I've tried starting at 225° and then finishing off at 375° but the skin is still rubbery. I'm doing a dry rub. Should I crank the heat up some more? I'm grilling to an internal temp of more than 170°. Thanks
I've seen several people talk about dusting them in baking powder or corn starch before smoking and that's the trick for a crispy skin.

Mr.Fabulous

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
Olive oil mayo. I don’t like the texture the baking powder & corn starch leaves behind.

Dry the wings off really good, let them dry in the frig for at least 3 hours. Rub in mayo then hit with your rub. Cook at temps above 300 to avoid rubbery skin. Depending on how I want them, I will either cook at 300, or crank it all the way up if I am in a hurry.

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Olive oil mayo. I don’t like the texture the baking powder & corn starch leaves behind.

Dry the wings off really good, let them dry in the frig for at least 3 hours. Rub in mayo then hit with your rub. Cook at temps above 300 to avoid rubbery skin. Depending on how I want them, I will either cook at 300, or crank it all the way up if I am in a hurry.
I'll have to give this a shot. I have yet to do any wings, but want to test a batch out before next weekend so I can make them for a small get together.

OP
OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely try this next time!

PriceMP5

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
First time using some corn starch last night and it did make a difference in the crispiness in my opinion. Very enjoyable wings but I am still working on my times and temps I like to use with them, can’t seem to get wings as dialed in as my other foods I’ve been making

Latest Discussions